Month's Goal: $300, Received: $240.00 - (80%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 3878 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
    proconsul

Default Repivoting Balance Staffs

Hello,
    I am usually on the clock board, but I have a question which I believe is closer to watch repair. If you break a pivot on a balance wheel staff and can't find a replacement balance staff, what do you do?
    Thanks,

Steve

proconsul

Default Repivoting Balance Staffs (RE: proconsul)

Hello,
    I am usually on the clock board, but I have a question which I believe is closer to watch repair. If you break a pivot on a balance wheel staff and can't find a replacement balance staff, what do you do?
    Thanks,

Steve

I use a universal runner for this type of work. At times, it has been nearly impossible to aneal the staff. One of my friends has made himself some carbide pivot drills w/good results and no need to aneal.

At times, I can't repivot. Often there are balance staffs which are close and can be shortened or turned down to fit the watch I'm repairing. This is a bit faster than turning a new staff from scratch.

Best regards,
    Greg

proconsul

Hello Greg,
    I regret to say that I am unfamiliar with terminology. Could you please tell me what a universal runner is and if such can be purchased? Also, are your friend's carbide pivot drills small enough to re-pivot a watch balance staff? Finally, where do you find balance staffs that you can use? Is there a source commercial source besides, perhaps, Timesavers, LaRose, Merritt's, Empire? Does there exist, in watch repair circles, a source(s) that does repivoting as a business? There are some people in the Mart that do balance platform work, but they are for clocks as opposed to watches.

Thanks,

Steve

lunacie

Check Hovig's Supply in Los Angeles- they have a large inventory of balance staffs

(213) 489-7068

regards,

john t.

You can learn to make a new staff from pivot wire. This is a skill all watchmakers should have will pay you back many times. It will be a much better job and ultimately easier than trying to restaff a conical balance staff. If you do not want to make one, others can for you.

What kind of staff are you looking for? Many of us have large staff collections.

Don Dahlberg

proconsul

I really appreciate the friendly suggestions that this question has garnered. I posed it because I am interested in repivoting balance staffs for ship and carriage clocks. By watch standards they're pretty big I guess, but they are a transition to pocket watches which are starting to fascinate me because they are intricately and beautifully constructed (in my opinion). I have big mitts so I'm not to the point where I feel confident enough to get into them yet, and there is so much I don't know about clock repair, e.g. how to use a jeweler's lathe. In any case I am really appreciative of all the input I have been getting here as I was hoping to get these kinds of useful suggestions.

Steve

Hi, I suggest that you transition to watches by first developing skills on Waltham 8 day movements. They are large watches that are easy to repair and parts are readlly available.The train is identical to a pocket watch and follow the same precautions one uses with a pocket watch.

The normal overhaul of these clocks is 2 new main springs, rebush the third, fourth, and escape wheel bushings clean an oil. This will make 95% of them run with good balance wheel motion and good timekeeping.