Goal: $300, Received: $275.00 (92%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.



Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 57
  1. #16
    Registered user.
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    349

    Default Re: Today I started casting brass for my verge reconversion

    Hi Joe, For the castings I first make wooden templates and then press them into casting sand (mixture of fine sand and oil). After that I melt the old pieces of scrapped movements etc in an electric 3 kilogram mini melting furnace, (Goldbrunn) I enclosed a picture of the furnace just before pouring the liquid metal into the casting sand. Hope this helps you.
    Peter
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Goldbrunn.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	237.3 KB 
ID:	351707  

  2. #17
    Registered user. MartinM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    El Dorado, CA
    Posts
    2,289

    Default Re: Today I started casting brass for my verge reconversion (By: klokwiz)

    Quote Originally Posted by klokwiz View Post
    Hageman,

    Very interesting and well done.. Can you give us a few details on the mold making process and the smelting of brass. what did you use to melt the brass? sorry if this is obvious but I am not familiar with this.

    Joe
    There are several good guides out there for how to operate a home foundry.
    Such as:
    http://foundry101.com/

    This guy has a lot of great links at his... metal sheds page?
    https://store.alansfactoryoutlet.com...ing-s/1876.htm
    Living life at eight beats per minute.

  3. #18

    Default Re: Today I started casting brass for my verge reconversion (By: MartinM)

    We have a foundry and a forge at school but there are never used.
    Nick, lots to learn, late starter.

  4. #19
    Registered user. MartinM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    El Dorado, CA
    Posts
    2,289

    Default Re: Today I started casting brass for my verge reconversion (By: novicetimekeeper)

    When I was in High School and taking industrial arts, some 40 years ago, the other Teacher's Assistant didn't notice that the prior class had washed the slag removal ladle in the sink.
    When he dipped it into the molten crucible of aluminum to pull out the old piston rings and whatnot, the moisture flashed and aluminum exploded out of the furnace.
    He lost an eye, most of his hair and a lot of skin along with getting molten aluminum in his lungs. The program never recovered after all of the lawsuits. I would assume that such instances affect liability insurance for all schools and they may think it's too much risk.
    It is, however, a pretty fun activity... When nothing goes awry.
    Living life at eight beats per minute.

  5. #20

    Default Re: Today I started casting brass for my verge reconversion (By: MartinM)

    Quote Originally Posted by MartinM View Post
    When I was in High School and taking industrial arts, some 40 years ago, the other Teacher's Assistant didn't notice that the prior class had washed the slag removal ladle in the sink.
    When he dipped it into the molten crucible of aluminum to pull out the old piston rings and whatnot, the moisture flashed and aluminum exploded out of the furnace.
    He lost an eye, most of his hair and a lot of skin along with getting molten aluminum in his lungs. The program never recovered after all of the lawsuits. I would assume that such instances affect liability insurance for all schools and they may think it's too much risk.
    It is, however, a pretty fun activity... When nothing goes awry.
    Sounds scary, no we are not quite as litigious yet. It's all fairly modern equipment, we just don't teach that any more and so it doesn't get used. We have a design and technology building that is the newest part of the school but cutbacks and curriculum changes and made some of it redundant. I'm suggesting we do night school lessons.
    Nick, lots to learn, late starter.

  6. #21
    Registered user.
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    349

    Default Re: Today I started casting brass for my verge reconversion

    A bit of bad luck. I made a single point tooth cutter for the contrate wheel just as I did for the crownwheel and made it as sharp as possible. But due to the fact that the teeth are that small and its only a single point cutter, after cutting the first tooth and starting with the second, I noticed that the first thooth was bending a little bit while cutting the second one. The teeth are only 0,85 mm thick so that won't work.......... I realised I had some brand new small circular saw blades laying arround somewhere in my workshop and found one which I now use for cutting the teeth. I am not sure how to get the angled profile at the top of the teeth now. Perhaps I need to file them in shape
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tooth cutter.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	220.5 KB 
ID:	351757   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tooth cutter2.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	290.7 KB 
ID:	351758  

  7. #22
    Registered user.
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    349

    Default Re: Today I started casting brass for my verge reconversion (By: P.Hageman)

    Think I did it! Took a some hours work, but its running smooth against the 7 leave pinion What a good feeling
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	contratewheel 2.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	172.7 KB 
ID:	351760  

  8. #23

    Default Re: Today I started casting brass for my verge reconversion (By: P.Hageman)

    Were you attempting to cut total depth in one pass with the fly cutter, or multiple passes?
    The man who knows how to make it work will always have a job, The man who knows why it makes it work will always be his boss. Website http://sailorsandsettlersantiques.com

  9. #24
    Registered user.
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    349

    Default Re: Today I started casting brass for my verge reconversion (By: BLKBEARD)

    Quote Originally Posted by BLKBEARD View Post
    Were you attempting to cut total depth in one pass with the fly cutter, or multiple passes?
    No, multiple passes with very tiny cuts. Think perhaps something was wrong with the cutter, after all, its a trial and ERROR project But I am very happy it worked this way. Best would be a genuine gear cutter but buying a thorton cutter cost a fortune, its my sport to keep the cost within limits. (saving for buying another clock )

  10. #25

    Default Re: Today I started casting brass for my verge reconversion (By: P.Hageman)

    Quote Originally Posted by P.Hageman View Post
    Think I did it! Took a some hours work, but its running smooth against the 7 leave pinion What a good feeling
    Looks wonderful

    You should put a few rings in each time, all the people who loved their work seemed to like adding a bit of decoration (obviously some of the rings are guides for hand cutting)
    Nick, lots to learn, late starter.

  11. #26
    Registered User ClipClock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Kent, UK
    Posts
    1,557

    Default Re: Today I started casting brass for my verge reconversion (By: P.Hageman)

    Wow, well done, I'm very much enjoying following this thread!

  12. #27

    Default Re: Today I started casting brass for my verge reconversion (By: Ralph)

    Mr. Hageman,

    I’m chiming in a little late but next time saw cut the teeth like you did this one. Glue in a plastic plug to support the inner diameter right up to the top land and then use your fly cutter to form the face between the pitch circle and the addendum circle.

    Your work looks top notch and I too am enjoying following your progress.

    I’m curious though. You have machined so much of your cast blanks. Why did you make castings? Why didn’t you just start with a brass billet?
    D~

  13. #28
    Registered user.
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    349

    Default Re: Today I started casting brass for my verge reconversion (By: the 3rd dwarve)

    Quote Originally Posted by the 3rd dwarve View Post
    Mr. Hageman,

    I’m chiming in a little late but next time saw cut the teeth like you did this one. Glue in a plastic plug to support the inner diameter right up to the top land and then use your fly cutter to form the face between the pitch circle and the addendum circle.

    Your work looks top notch and I too am enjoying following your progress.

    I’m curious though. You have machined so much of your cast blanks. Why did you make castings? Why didn’t you just start with a brass billet?
    D~
    Thanks for this advise, I will surely follow your advice next time!! I did my own castings due to the fact that I wanted exactly the same color brass as used in the 18th century. Now the color of the newly made parts are same color as the rest of the movement. I could buy in yellow cast brass from England but it is costly. I could not find a supplier here in the Netherlands. The brass "chips" that were machined off, I melt again into new parts

  14. #29

    Default Re: Today I started casting brass for my verge reconversion (By: P.Hageman)

    Mr. Hageman,

    That’s a lot of work for a color match; I applaud your attention to detail.

    There is some very nice work there.

    Do you grind your cutters from HSS or do you prefer a specific grade like W-1?

    Regards,
    D~

  15. #30

    Default Re: Today I started casting brass for my verge reconversion (By: the 3rd dwarve)

    Quote Originally Posted by the 3rd dwarve View Post
    Mr. Hageman,

    That’s a lot of work for a color match; I applaud your attention to detail.

    There is some very nice work there.

    Do you grind your cutters from HSS or do you prefer a specific grade like W-1?

    Regards,
    D~
    It's well worth it, the difference between early 18th century brass and modern brass is quite marked.

    Nick, lots to learn, late starter.

Similar Threads

  1. Yellow cast brass for restoring movements
    By P.Hageman in forum Clocks General.
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 07-16-2017, 02:39 AM
  2. Foundry for casting brass replica clock parts?
    By Jeffrey Konicek in forum Clock Repair
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-12-2013, 03:04 PM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-06-2012, 10:37 AM
  4. Help! part needed for my Heuer..
    By james shutts in forum Watch Repair
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-06-2005, 04:22 PM
  5. supplier of wristwatch cases for my own line of watches
    By Greg Davis in forum Wrist Watches
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-24-2003, 02:07 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •