Goal: $300, Received: $275.00 (92%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Registered user.

Default Today I started casting brass for my verge reconversion

Today I startted casting yellow brass for the parts I need for my next project the reconversion from anchor escapement back to verge of my 18th century English bracket clock. I was very curious how the result would be. I used old 18th century scrap movement plates etc from scrap English clocks which I had collected over the years. The cast brass looks very good, right color, no casting faults, realy nice homogene yellow brass. On the last picture you can see the already turned part which will be the crownwheel when ready. I like this project
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	castings 2.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	342.4 KB 
ID:	350926   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	castings 3.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	421.3 KB 
ID:	350927   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	castings 4.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	491.8 KB 
ID:	350929   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	casting 5.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	378.7 KB 
ID:	350930  

Default Re: Today I started casting brass for my verge reconversion (By: P.Hageman)

This is impressive, please keep us updated.

Default Re: Today I started casting brass for my verge reconversion (By: woodlawndon)

Excellent stuff, you will be doing spandrels before you know it!
    Nick, lots to learn, late starter.

Default Re: Today I started casting brass for my verge reconversion (By: novicetimekeeper)

Nice work
    Incredibly satisfying isn't it! A friend and I have done this to make main wheel bushing rods for English longcase plates.
    shimmystep.

Registered user.

Default Re: Today I started casting brass for my verge reconversion

I think I will make this an ongoing thread of my reconversion project if you like. Today I started milling the potence cast square. Oh and Nick, casting spandrels is way to difficult at the present moment I am only just an amateur!

Name:	potence cast 1.JPG 
Views:	37 
Size:	427.6 KB 
ID:	350995   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	potence cast 2.JPG 
Views:	34 
Size:	330.8 KB 
ID:	350996  

Registered user.

Default Re: Today I started casting brass for my verge reconversion (By: P.Hageman)

Starting to look like a potence.

Name:	potence cast 3.JPG 
Views:	39 
Size:	301.7 KB 
ID:	351007  

​Amateur
    BAH HUMBUG

Don't sell yourself short!!
    This is very impressive, and I for one look forward to following your conversion with great enthusiasm.
    The man who knows how to make it work will always have a job, The man who knows why it makes it work will always be his boss. Website http://sailorsandsettlersantiques.com

Quote Originally Posted by P.Hageman View Post
    I think I will make this an ongoing thread of my reconversion project if you like. Today I started milling the potence cast square. Oh and Nick, casting spandrels is way to difficult at the present moment I am only just an amateur!

You are doing remarkably well, and I think spandrels are at the lower end of casting. I think they are made by impressing a previous one into the moulding sand. The dips on the back are shrinkage as far as I can see, they seem to be a very simple process, and said to be one sometimes carried out by clockmakers themselves whereas they would by in other castings
    Nick, lots to learn, late starter.

Registered user.

Default Re: Today I started casting brass for my verge reconversion

Today I started with the upper potence (is that how you call this part). It is still a bit oversized, but after I have the crownwheel ready, I can make it into the final shape. Its a lot of fun. But days to come, I have to work, so not much time for this project.

Name:	potence cast 4.JPG 
Views:	20 
Size:	331.2 KB 
ID:	351116   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	potence cast 5.JPG 
Views:	25 
Size:	436.9 KB 
ID:	351117  

Registered user.

Today I started cutting the crownwheel. I hammer hardened the brass blank and made a single point fly cutter from what we call silver steel. Hardened the cutter at 850 degrees and then tempered at 250 degrees. For the first try, I think the result is encouraging I have to finish the theeth and see if it will work.

Name:	crownwheel 1.JPG 
Views:	20 
Size:	368.7 KB 
ID:	351528   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	crownwheel 2.JPG 
Views:	18 
Size:	377.3 KB 
ID:	351529   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	crownwheel 3.JPG 
Size:	293.3 KB 
ID:	351530   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	crownwheel 4.JPG 
Size:	312.5 KB 
ID:	351531  

Wow!!!
    Good luck with Your progress,whish I could do that!
    Burkhard
    Gigni de nihilo nihil,et nihil in nihilum posse reverti
    (Persius)

Default Re: Today I started casting brass for my verge reconversion (By: Burkhard Rasch)

Great progress...

Ralph

Registered user.

Default Re: Today I started casting brass for my verge reconversion (By: Ralph)

Turned the contrate wheel to approx. size and made a jig to hammer harden the rim of the contratewheel. After that the rim sounds like a bell Now I have to make the very small single point cutter for cutting the teeth in the contratewheel. Wish me luck Sorry for the poor quality of the picture, my camera battery was low so I made it with my phone.

Name:	contratewheel.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	277.5 KB 
ID:	351624  

This is sure an interesting journey your taking us on. This is what Repair & Restoration is all about. Anyone can pick up a replacement part & install it (within reason). But how many people can make the mold, cast the part, machine & finish the part, and put the item back in good working order.

I always enjoy doing repairs restorations.
    Plus, sometimes I get the added benefit of having a legitimate excuse to buy a new Kool Tool to complete the task.
    The closest I've ever come to casting a part is pouring fishing weights. But I look forward to trying my hand at it sometime in the future.

Thanks for sharing!
    The man who knows how to make it work will always have a job, The man who knows why it makes it work will always be his boss. Website http://sailorsandsettlersantiques.com

Hageman,

Very interesting and well done.. Can you give us a few details on the mold making process and the smelting of brass. what did you use to melt the brass? sorry if this is obvious but I am not familiar with this.

Joe