Goal: $300, Received: $30.00 (10%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Uncommon case?- Lifted/latched bezel/O.F. Case

Shown here are photos of an 18size Waltham (on which the guilding succumbed to ammoniated cleaners). I am curious about the case, solid gold, heavy, and well made with a bezel that opens like a H.C. cover. I am familiar with the term "cut hunter" and have owned a few but this appears to have began life this way. Unfortunately, except for a serial number there are no other markings to indicate maker, metal content etc. There may be a partial mark over the serial number but it is illegible. I know its a long shot but I am hoping someone may recognize the case maker and shed light on something I've been curious about for a long time
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF6065.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	189.0 KB 
ID:	350413   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF6068.jpg 
Size:	157.3 KB 
ID:	350414   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF6079.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	135.8 KB 
ID:	350415   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF6074.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	201.5 KB 
ID:	350416   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF6073.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	223.2 KB 
ID:	350417  

Default Re: Uncommon case?- Lifted/latched bezel/O.F. Case (By: Don From Mystic)

I have a few pocket watches where the front bezel is on a hinge.
    Mine snap closed.
    If you push the crown in on yours does it pop open?

Rob

Blog Entries

Default Re: Uncommon case?- Lifted/latched bezel/O.F. Case (By: Don From Mystic)

Hi Don,

Since there's a fly spring visible in the bezel joint, it seems very likely that this was originally a hunter case.

Regards,

Graham

"Ut tensio, sic vis" - Robert Hooke

Default Re: Uncommon case?- Lifted/latched bezel/O.F. Case (By: gmorse)

This looks original - no evidence of disassembly/machine work. The watch is lever set. This arrangement would facilitate access to the set lever. There is no brand or trademark, typically found in virtually all mass produced American cases. Just as key winds may have a "snap" back or be latched and sprung the same could be true with this bezel

It's hard to tell from here but it appears there is no room for a bezel under the front lid. The design of the lid seems like it was made to acommodate a crystal. If this is the original format it would certainly be an oddity. I've never seen one that worked that way.-Cort

Default Re: Uncommon case?- Lifted/latched bezel/O.F. Case (By: 4thdimension)

Finishing features in the case make me want to guess that it was made by the Crescent Watch Case Co. They provided a lot of cases to Waltham.

I am willing to believe it is an original configuration to make setting easier. ... a nice feature, I think.

(Lovely dial, BTW)
    Jerry Treiman, NAWCC member since 1971
    Charter member of Pocket Horology Chapter 174

Default Re: Uncommon case?- Lifted/latched bezel/O.F. Case (By: Jerry Treiman)

Thank you Jerry. Did Crescent make solid gold cases?

I don't believe that Crescent made solid gold cases. They did, however, make rather heavy gold filled cases. What makes you think your case is solid gold? Lack of any marking would make me suspicious.
    Jerry Treiman, NAWCC member since 1971
    Charter member of Pocket Horology Chapter 174

Default Re: Uncommon case?- Lifted/latched bezel/O.F. Case (By: Jerry Treiman)

Over 50 years of serious collecting, subtle case makers file touch in the right places, case empty is over 2oz/T, No base metal where it would be otherwise. Like Roy E used to say "you can tell by the feel". Havent used the aqua regia and test needles in 30 years -

I have an 18S 14K solid gold OF case on which the bezel is spring loaded and is released by pressing the crown. It would almost appear that this would be a way of opening the bezel to set a lever set watch. But my case houses an Elgin model 5 (Pendant set). The case has no cutout for a lever.

The watch is at the bank, and I can't remember the case maker.

Tom

Default Re: Uncommon case?- Lifted/latched bezel/O.F. Case (By: Tom Huber)

As best I can recall, I only have one watch with a spring-loaded front bezel. It is an American Watch Co. Model 1872 in a 14k Waltham-signed case. Because I'd never seen a watch with this feature before, I was stumped as to how to open the bezel to set the watch because there was no flange or groove to pry the bezel off. Although you cannot see it in the photo below, I am embarrassed to say that I had my jeweler add a perfect little 14k flange to the front cover, but it can be easily ground off to restore the case to its original condition.

Name:	IMG_3698 (640x627).jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	343.9 KB 
ID:	350548   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3702 (640x567).jpg 
Size:	234.2 KB 
ID:	350549   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3707 (454x640).jpg 
Size:	172.3 KB 
ID:	350550   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3711 (474x640).jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	180.5 KB 
ID:	350551  

Default Re: Uncommon case?- Lifted/latched bezel/O.F. Case (By: Ethan Lipsig)

Great watch (and photos) Ethan. My case has several similarities to yours. The bow is in sockets. The pendant does not have the popular step out under the bow. The locations of the screws to fasten the lift and latch springs look in about the same place. Latch width and position looks the same. My case seems to have a bit more pink/peach in the alloy which I have noticed in some Waltham marked cases. I am happy to learn there are at least some of these around. Some European cases have an arrow on the crown that you point at the lid you want to open. Double dial calenders were all made this way I believe. This case looks American to me.

Name:	DSCF6085.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	223.0 KB 
ID:	350554  

Here are some photos of a V&C in an 18K Keystone case which has a bezel which flips up when the crown is pushed in. The watch is not lever set. The hinged back covers a cuvette and underneath that is a crystal so that the movement can be viewed without environmental exposure.

Name:	V&C5.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	73.1 KB 
ID:	350557   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	V&C3.jpg 
Size:	88.3 KB 
ID:	350558  

Here are some photos of a V&C, approximately 18s, in a Keystone 18k case. The bezel pops open when the crown is depressed. There are two covers underneath the back lid, a dust cover and underneath that a glass crystal to allow viewing of the movement.

Name:	V&Cdial2.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	72.9 KB 
ID:	350559   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	V&C3.jpg 
Size:	88.3 KB 
ID:	350560   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	V&C5.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	73.1 KB 
ID:	350561  

Default Re: Uncommon case?- Lifted/latched bezel/O.F. Case (By: John Arrowood)

very nice and Jurgensen lips too - uncommon on an American case - so may variants, keeps it exciting!