Goal: $300, Received: $55.00 (18%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Default Need Help with ITR Time Clock Day/Time Unit Dissassembly

Hello,

i can't figure out how to remove the shaft from the date/time unit of a 1925 ITR time clock I'm trying to disassemble for cleaning. I've gotten most of the unit apart including the top part, which has the day, hour, and minute wheels, but I can't figure out how the shaft that turns with the lever is removed. It seems to have large pins which may used to hold it but I'm not sure that's what they are. If any have worked on one of these units before and removed the shaft, can you let me know how it can be removed. I've attached some photos that will hopefully help. The pins I'm referring to are not the cotter pins you may see in the photos. Rather, they are the round protrusions from the shaft.

thanks

Bates
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	283.4 KB 
ID:	350329   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	20 
Size:	296.1 KB 
ID:	350330   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	21 
Size:	254.5 KB 
ID:	350331  

Default Re: Need Help with ITR Time Clock Day/Time Unit Dissassembly (By: Bates)

Bates

The protruding pins look like they run through the sleeve and shaft holding the two together. Measure the diameter of the end of the pins. If one is larger than the other that is a dead giveaway that the pins are indeed holding the two pieces together. If you are going to drive them out make a saddle to support the sleeve by drilling a hole in a piece of two by four the same diameter as the sleeve and then cut it in half. Drill a perpendicular hole for the pin so you can lay the sleeve in the saddle and drive the pin out.
    D~

Default Re: Need Help with ITR Time Clock Day/Time Unit Dissassembly (By: the 3rd dwarve)

D~,

You were exactly right. I was able to drive the pins out after some coaxing with a solvent to break down some of the dirt and oil that was encrusted around them. Your suggestion gave me confidence in knowing they were pins and in knowing which way to drive them.

Thank you very much

Bates

Default Re: Need Help with ITR Time Clock Day/Time Unit Dissassembly (By: Bates)

Hi Bates,

Success! I love it when a plan comes together.
    You're very welcome, I would like to see some pictures when your work is complete.

D~