Goal: $300, Received: $20.00 (7%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Default Do you need to stop a verge escapement for winding?

I was always told to stop my 8 day longcase when winding. As a result I always stop my achor escapement dial clock and now my verge escapement dial clock when winding.

It's easy, so I have no trouble doing it.

I believe verge watches usually have maintaining power but verge clocks don't.

I now have a bracket clock, to stop it I have to turn it round and open the rear door then turn it back to wind it then turn it round to start it then turn it back again.

So the question is can I just wind it? No maintaining power, I just tried it and you can keep it ticking but occasional it falters, I think it stalls on the crown wheel

The crown wheel is a lot more robust than an anchor escape wheel. Can you wind without stopping with no ill effect?
    Nick, lots to learn, late starter.

Default Re: Do you need to stop a verge escapement for winding? (By: novicetimekeeper)

I don't stop any of my clocks to wind them. I'd never heard it recommended. From a mechanical perspective, I can't come up with a reason why it would be necessary.

Glen

Default Re: Do you need to stop a verge escapement for winding? (By: glenhead)

Quote Originally Posted by glenhead View Post
    I don't stop any of my clocks to wind them. I'd never heard it recommended. From a mechanical perspective, I can't come up with a reason why it would be necessary.

Glen
    The reasoning is because there is a risk of damage to the escape wheel if the pendulum swing is not timed with the wheel.

My understanding is that is the reason for maintaining power on deadbeats, I don't have any deadbeats.

Registered user.

Default Re: Do you need to stop a verge escapement for winding? (By: novicetimekeeper)

Nick, no need for stopping the movement before winding it up. Never had any problem with it.

Default Re: Do you need to stop a verge escapement for winding? (By: P.Hageman)

I had a reply from the chap who restored it, another Peter, and he says not to worry, though he suggested not winding too slowly because then you won't miss a beat.

Blog Entries

Hi Nick,

Quote Originally Posted by novicetimekeeper
    ...I believe verge watches usually have maintaining power but verge clocks don't...
    Pre-Harrison they certainly didn't, and for a long time afterwards most verges still didn't. It only became common after the English lever took over.

Regards,

Graham

"Ut tensio, sic vis" - Robert Hooke

Default Re: Do you need to stop a verge escapement for winding? (By: gmorse)

I asked because I did not like the stalling of the pendulum as I wound it, I may have been a bit hesitant. Of course without a mock pendulum on the front I would have been unaware of it, it look like it occasionally goes backwards. The clock lost nearly two minutes while I was winding it.

Registered user.

Very light pressure applied to the minute hand in a clockwise direction while winding solves that problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by novicetimekeeper View Post
    I asked because I did not like the stalling of the pendulum as I wound it, I may have been a bit hesitant. Of course without a mock pendulum on the front I would have been unaware of it, it look like it occasionally goes backwards. The clock lost nearly two minutes while I was winding it.
    Dave Diel

Default Re: Do you need to stop a verge escapement for winding? (By: dad1891)

Quote Originally Posted by dad1891 View Post
    Very light pressure applied to the minute hand in a clockwise direction while winding solves that problem.
    that sounds like rubbing your belly while patting your head, not sure my co-ordination is up to that.

Registered user.

The serious problem is if the anchor jams on a pallet.
    If the pendulum is rigidly mounted, there can be damage.
    I like the idea of maintaining power on the minute hand.
    I'm not sure how well it would work, depending on the hand clutch.
    Tinker Dwight