Goal: $300, Received: $55.00 (18%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Buy it now or Auction Style

I have been scouring everyone's favorite auction site (I will not name names) and see a lot of buy it nows and that led me to this guestion. What is everyone's preference? I enjoy the rush, thrill, and the "unknown" of an auction. What is everone else's preference and why?

Default Re: Buy it now or Auction Style (By: aesellitto)

I have moved this to the Horological Misc Forum since more than clocks are impacted.
    “If one tells the truth, one is sure, sooner or later, to be found out.” - Oscar Wilde

Blog Entries

Default Re: Buy it now or Auction Style (By: Steven Thornberry)

I like the auctions for the tension and excitement. Like the buy it now for the mundane pieces to fill in holes or get parts.

Default Re: Buy it now or Auction Style

I've heard more than once recently that eBay really wants to get rid of the auction format. I think they want to be more like Amazon.

The nice thing about the auction format is that the item is up for a whole week (or whatever the time period the seller chooses) and everyone has a fair shot at it. A 'but it now' on a unique item can disappear within minutes if the price is fair or underpriced. I guess, for this reason, I still like the auction format better.

Default Re: Buy it now or Auction Style (By: Dave Coatsworth)

Do you feel the prices are better auction style? Seems to me the majority of buy it now items are over priced. Plus, that is what eBay is, an auction site. I try to shop on Etsy but the items are horribly expensive or if it is a fair price, the item is way worse once I get the it in hand. The auctions seem to let the item sell for its "true" market value.

Yes, a lot of 'buy-it-now' prices are high. I like the 'or best offer' option. A lot of sellers are accepting reasonable offers when I make them. But, there are definitely others who are fishing. Or, who don't realize what has happened in the market in the past 10 years.

Default Re: Buy it now or Auction Style

The "auction site" is very addictive. I made the mistake of introducing my mother to the world of online auction bidding. Oh man, down the rabbit hole she went.

She really got hooked. She was a poor bidder too. It took a while just to convince her not to bid till the last minute. I think most of all she was just flat out addicted to it.

Finally she started to see the light. She had the typical tower with monitor setup on a computer desk. She had a set of tiny gold ear rings taped above the monitor.

I ask why the ear rings was taped above the monitor. She says to remind her what a rip off the auctions where.

Well, I was happy to hear that.
    Last edited by RJSoftware; 07-16-2017 at 09:45 PM.

I almost always sell clocks via auction and with a 99p start price. I think they generally make more that way, (with the odd ouch, OUCH exception!). For mundane stuff I prefer buy it now both as a buyer and as a seller

Some seller puzzle me, they may have some nice clocks but at extraordinarily high buy it now prices. If you look back at their completed listings you see the same clocks have already failed to sell 4 or 5 times. I can't figure out why they bother listing!

Default Re: Buy it now or Auction Style (By: ClipClock)

I assume they don't have to pay to relist it and they are waiting for somebody to bite.

I generally buy at auction houses rather than ebay but I do look at ebay. Often I see things I saw at the auction houses but at huge markups.
    Nick, lots to learn, late starter.

Default Re: Buy it now or Auction Style (By: Dave Coatsworth)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Coatsworth View Post
    Yes, a lot of 'buy-it-now' prices are high. I like the 'or best offer' option. A lot of sellers are accepting reasonable offers when I make them. But, there are definitely others who are fishing. Or, who don't realize what has happened in the market in the past 10 years.
    My cynical side (it's actually the only side I have) says that "buy it now" prices are often an attempot to set a value on an item so the seller can sell it privately later. He then says "This was on Ebay for $2,000 but you can have it for $1,500".

We never find out what a "best offer" item finally sells for - but if I were selling on that basis then I would prpobably quote a "buy it now" price 20% higher than I expected to sell for. That's just normal negotiation. As a seller I ask the maximum price that I believe an item might credibly command, but have in my ind the least I will sell it for.
    Martin Rosen

Quote Originally Posted by novicetimekeeper View Post
    I assume they don't have to pay to relist it and they are waiting for somebody to bite.

I generally buy at auction houses rather than ebay but I do look at ebay. Often I see things I saw at the auction houses but at huge markups.
    I agree that often happens, but I've also seen the opposite, where the price realised on ebay is lower than the item sold for in auction. Happened to me once or twice and particularly galling when I've spent time servicing and then testing the clock etc! Thankfully it doesnt happen too often and its usually its when I've had to detail all the faults in its case/dial etc whereas the auction house didnt feel the need to..

Those of us that do a lot on eBay have our own secret
    tricks(probably the same ones as everyone else's).
    How you search their database of items, and what
    search terms you use, can really make a big difference.

I like both auction, and best offer. I may tag a watch that I like that is
    double what I want to pay, but 3 months later
    when it hasn't sold, they are very willing to drop their price considerably.
    I even send offers to sellers who don't have a buy it
    now option, and have been very lucky with that as well.

eBay is also full of poorly described objects, and if you are
    knowledgeable about what you are looking for, you
    can always find great deals.

Rob

Default Re: Buy it now or Auction Style (By: MartyR)

Quote Originally Posted by MartyR View Post
    We never find out what a "best offer" item finally sells for - but if I were selling on that basis then I would prpobably quote a "buy it now" price 20% higher than I expected to sell for. That's just normal negotiation. As a seller I ask the maximum price that I believe an item might credibly command, but have in my ind the least I will sell it for.
    That is exactly what I do when I list a "buy it now" with best offer.

Default Re: Buy it now or Auction Style (By: musicguy)

Yes, some sellers are lazy about research. I sometimes misspell just to see if I can catch something. That and search in general terms that an unfamiliar person who did not do research would do.

But I try to never bid early and try to always bid the last minute (30 seconds).

If I am listing I try to match the auction-end about 8:00pm pacific. That way the majority of the country is at home watching tv after eating dinner and have their laptop out wondering how the bidding is going. In the evening when they got time to sit.

Quote Originally Posted by musicguy View Post
    Those of us that do a lot on eBay have our own secret
    tricks(probably the same ones as everyone else's).
    How you search their database of items, and what
    search terms you use, can really make a big difference.

I like both auction, and best offer. I may tag a watch that I like that is
    double what I want to pay, but 3 months later
    when it hasn't sold, they are very willing to drop their price considerably.
    I even send offers to sellers who don't have a buy it
    now option, and have been very lucky with that as well.

eBay is also full of poorly described objects, and if you are
    knowledgeable about what you are looking for, you
    can always find great deals.

Rob

Interesting. I have to agree but it is so hard to follow through with. It takes some nerves of steel to do that. Do you often lose money? If so, is it a lot of money? It is very unnerving when you are not getting activity it's and looking to lose some good cash? Maybe I just need to suck it up and let the auction set the market.