Goal: $300, Received: $55.00 (18%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Default Proper cleaning of e howard banjo clock case

Fellow Members,

What would be the least intrusive method of cleaning up the case of an E Howard Number 5 banjo case without affecting the rosewood graining. The original finish is prety much intact but the case has some dust and grind. Should I use a weak solution of Murphys oil and follow up with a good quality furniture polish?

Thank you,
    Artillero

Default Re: Proper cleaning of e howard banjo clock case (By: Artillero)

Artillero,
    I use plain old Dawn dish soap in warm water. It is nonabrasive and does a great job of cleaning grime. Just dampen a cotton cloth, wring it out and wipe the case down. Dry it with some paper towels.
    I never use “furniture polish”, to finish I use Gilboy’s but there are other paste waxes out there that are easier and less expensive and almost as good. You can use Renaissance wax and get great results. Make sure you read and follow the instructions.
    D~

Default Re: Proper cleaning of e howard banjo clock case (By: the 3rd dwarve)

I have shared this before I use waterless hand cleaner for all my cleaning.
    Larry Pearson, FNAWCC* #35863

Default Re: Proper cleaning of e howard banjo clock case (By: lpbp)

I TOTALLY agree with lpbp! GoJo Original Formula hand cleaner is the best! If your case is artificially grained, test on a small area first. I've never had the GoJo damage anything, and I've used it many times.

Simply apply with your fingers, rub it around a bit until it liquefies, than wipe off with a very soft cotton rag (a clean, old tee shirt is perfect!) You will be thrilled with how much dirt comes off. See this thread for more on the GoJo: http://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?1...umn-and-Scroll specifically, post #12.

Hope this helps,

George
    Time is a great story teller... Irish Proverb

Default Re: Proper cleaning of e howard banjo clock case (By: George Nelson)

Geworge,
    That is quite a good job on the cleaning of the finish of your clock. Thanks for the suggestion.

Artillero

Default Re: Proper cleaning of e howard banjo clock case (By: Artillero)

Artillero,

GoJo contains both Propylene glycol and alcohols, both of which can attack the India ink used to grain the cases of E. Howard clocks. Please test your case before attempting a large area.

If you case is heavily coated with a layer of old dirt you can use paraffin oil and FFFF pumice on a rubber to remove the dirt but leave the finish intact. A final rub down with mineral spirits thinned boiled linseed oil and rottenstone will leave a beautiful finish ready for wax. Here’s my example:

http://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?1...f-dirt-removed

Please let me know how you proceed as I am always interested in new restoration techniques.

Regards,
    D~

Default Re: Proper cleaning of e howard banjo clock case (By: the 3rd dwarve)

D~
    Thank you for sharing the example of your beautiful restoration work. Your clock is a stunner. As I am originally from Cuba, I am partial to the look of Cuban mahogany.
    I am very wary about doing anything which might damage the finish of the E Howard as it is somewhat rare to find one doesn't have damage to the original finish so I will try your method first.

Regards,
    Artillero