Goal: $300, Received: $55.00 (18%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Default ODO Long (grandfather) clock

I have inherited my great Aunt's grandfather clock. It is marked Odo, Made in France. It's weight driven but I have no other information. To access the back of the works the movement has to be unscrewed from the resting plate and slid forward. I don't feel confident to do this. I have received quotes of $1,300.00 to $1,500.00 to service and repair but it is running a bit slow, set right time two days ago and is now 6 minutes behind time. I cannot find any information on this maker nor do I know what the value of the clock is although it is of great value to me because of the family history. I am looking for the history of this clock maker and when my aunt's clock would have been made, as well as some indication of the value (should I be spending that amount of money for the service?) Any information would be most appreciated. Thank you
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0430[1].jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	155.6 KB 
ID:	350241   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0427[1].jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	327.7 KB 
ID:	350242   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0428[1].jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	284.1 KB 
ID:	350243   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0429[1].jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	316.8 KB 
ID:	350244  

Registered user.

Default Re: ODO Long (grandfather) clock (By: dianne.cowling@gmail.com)

Sounds a bit high. You can adjust the nut at the bottom
    of the pendulum to correct the slowness.
    How slow per day is it?
    These are usually about 1/3 of a minute per turn of the
    nut. You'd raise the bob to slow it.
    How close are you to the clock shop. It might be a
    travel distance issue.
    Tinker Dwight

Default Re: ODO Long (grandfather) clock (By: dianne.cowling@gmail.com)

Quote Originally Posted by dianne.cowling@gmail.com View Post
    I have inherited my great Aunt's grandfather clock. It is marked Odo, Made in France. It's weight driven but I have no other information. To access the back of the works the movement has to be unscrewed from the resting plate and slid forward. I don't feel confident to do this. I have received quotes of $1,300.00 to $1,500.00 to service and repair but it is running a bit slow, set right time two days ago and is now 6 minutes behind time. I cannot find any information on this maker nor do I know what the value of the clock is although it is of great value to me because of the family history. I am looking for the history of this clock maker and when my aunt's clock would have been made, as well as some indication of the value (should I be spending that amount of money for the service?) Any information would be most appreciated. Thank you

dianne -

nice clock... and several issues. first, while i believe in skilled people getting paid. that said, those quotes strikes me as high... perhaps some of our down under members can chime in.

if you simply unhook the weights and lay them down somewhere left to right like they are in the clock, unscrewing the movement and sliding it out becomes a much simpler affair. you can unscrew the knurled knobs (i assume) that screw up into the movement with your right hand, while supporting the movement with your left... just in case. it's really not going to be that heavy without the weights, but the dial will still be attached. oh... and you would also want to unhook the pendulum... shouldn't be that hard.

you can lay the movement face down onto a shoe box or box that is slightly less wide than the dial... imagine the dial image you posted, and the box edges running from the 10 to the 8 and the 2 to the 4. you want to make sure nothing hits or bends the hands, scratches the dial, or bends anything on the back of the movement.

some of the (seems to me high) charges might be for them to come out and pull the movement and take it to a shop. if you brought it to them that might reduce costs.

these are not particularly difficult or tricky movements to work on... but if you were to pull the movement out and upload photos of as much as the insides and back as you could, we might be able to give you an overall sense of condition and how much repair might actually be required.

just for comparison sake, i pulled the movement of a more complicated master clock (part mechanical, part electric) and mailed it off to an expert to restore for me as i'm still learning and this was a tricky one. including shipping, my total cost was under $500 US.

ideally, clocks should be serviced every 3-5 years to avoid issues... where servicing means disassembling, cleaning (in an ultrasonic cleaner), repairing any issues, reassembling, oiling, testing, re-installing, making sure everything is right, etc. that said, they'll run a lot longer and typically do... sometimes the resultant wear and tear can add to the repairs necessary, sometimes not. i just opened up a grandfather clock that hadn't been touched in a very long time and it is a high quality movement and needed absolutely nothing except a clean and fresh oil... you never know.

if you like it and want to keep it running, i'd recommend a service... but i'd also recommend shopping around and getting multiple quotes... and also checking references. did i mention checking references? because you really want to make sure whoever works on it is going to do you right.

hope that helps.
    i collect antique clocks because i get all that extra time...