Goal: $300, Received: $165.00 (55%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Whats your single favorite pocket watch in your collection?

Quote Originally Posted by PapaLouies View Post
    Hi richiec,

I've never seen a M.I. Tobias & Co. watch with an unsigned dial.

Regards, PL
    I should have been a bit more precise and stated; I've never seen an M.I. Tobias & Co. full plate watch with an enamel dial and the set-up on the barrel bridge with an unsigned dial.
    Last edited by PapaLouies; 07-18-2017 at 12:23 PM.

Default Re: Whats your single favorite pocket watch in your collection? (By: Scott Tzorfas)

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Tzorfas View Post
    Clint,
    What about the Howards in your collection? What are your favorite Howard watches that you own?
    Scott
    Scott,

I had a very fine Howard collection once. I decide me to let them go. They all went to very good homes. Most went to good friends. I don't love them any less than I used to, but I decided to strike out in a new direction. I collect watches with Civil War combatant provenances now. Thus far, I haven't found any Howards with such a characteristic. I know they're out there, and I'll eventually find one. Of course, if I ever found Josiah Moorhouse's personal watch, I'd be a buyer. Think that's a pipe dream? Well, the Waltham dial room foreman, Edger Hull's personal watch showed up recently (and on a unique 14 Size rock crystal plate movement, no less!), so why not Moorhouse's watch?
    Last edited by Clint Geller; 07-18-2017 at 07:54 PM.

Registered user.

Default Re: Whats your single favorite pocket watch in your collection? (By: Dave Coatsworth)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Coatsworth View Post
    Well, that's a tough one, but I guess it's got to be my Illinois grade 105.
    I have to second Dave on this and go with my Illinois grade 105, also.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017-07-18 21.19.11.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	852.3 KB 
ID:	350571

Quote Originally Posted by Clint Geller View Post
    Scott,

I had a very fine Howard collection once. I decide me to let them go. They all went to very good homes. Most went to good friends. I don't love them any less than I used to, but I decided to strike out in a new direction. I collect watches with Civil War combatant provenances now. Thus far, I haven't found any Howards with such a characteristic. I know they're out there, and I'll eventually find one. Of course, if I ever found Josiah Moorhouse's personal watch, I'd be a buyer. Think that's a pipe dream? Well, the Waltham dial room foreman, Edger Hull's personal watch showed up recently (and on a unique 14 Size rock crystal plate movement, no less!), so why not Moorhouse's watch?
    It's truly interesting how peoples collecting evolves over time(I know mine has). You have
    moved from a collector of watches, to a Historian and author. Now you collect for different
    reasons, and motivations. Both different from your original chosen profession.
    Did pocket watches lead you to your interest in The Civil War, and
    reenactment's, or was that always a passion of yours.

Rob

Default Re: Whats your single favorite pocket watch in your collection? (By: Clint Geller)

Scott,

The lousy grammar was a result of trying to post from my cell phone, while on vacation, away from my computer. Argh.
    Clint Geller, FNAWCC, # 84,947

Default Re: Whats your single favorite pocket watch in your collection? (By: 8x57mauser)

Quote Originally Posted by musicguy View Post
    It's truly interesting how peoples collecting evolves over time(I know mine has). You have
    moved from a collector of watches, to a Historian and author. Now you collect for different
    reasons, and motivations. Both different from your original chosen profession.
    Did pocket watches lead you to your interest in The Civil War, and
    reenactment's, or was that always a passion of yours.

Rob
    Well, here goes, trying to post a coherent message from my cell phone again.

I have always been a big history buff, and being a physicist by profession, technological history was a natural nexus of the two. So watch collecting made perfect sense for me. I started as a Waltham and Howard collector. The AWCo and its predecessors are by far the most historically important line of manufacturers in American horology, whereas Howard products represent a unique, quirky, mistyque-laden amalgam of traditional craft elements and modern mass manufacturing concepts. At some point, I decided to sell my Walthams and focus on Howards. I did this for two reasons: first, a major Howard collection was breaking up and I had an inside track on buying the items I wanted out of it. Second, Waltham products were already a quite well plowed field, whereas Howard products were still relatively unknown and mysterious. (The Howard factory records, or most of them anyway, didn't become available for public access until 2002.). So I felt I could become a bigger player and make a bigger scholarly contribution in the Howard line.

But just over 20 years ago, I bought a Waltham PS Bartlett Grade Model 1857 at a local chapter meeting and when I got it home, I discovered that what I had thought were some particularly elaborate repairer's marks scratched into the rear cover turned out to be a miniature diary of the movements of a soldier in the Union Army of the Potomac during the Overland Campaign (aka Wilderness Campaign) of May-June, 1864. In researching the markings, I ended up reading Shelby Foote's celebrated three volume work on the Civil War, and I eventually published a short article on the watch in the BULLETIN.

That particular collecting interest then lay dormant for several years. Then, at some point I decided to begin placing my Howard collection among my friends, so I could continue to visit them from time to time. So for several years, I was still a horologist, but no longer a collector. But the collecting bug was only sleeping, it wasn't dead. So after I got done putting my daughter through the University of Pennsylvania in bioengineering, and then subsidizing her Masters degree at Tufts, I decided to start a modest collection again. (She is an MD-PhD candidate now, so she has a free ride with a modest stipend, but mom and dad still help her out. Yes, I'm a proud dad. Please forgive me.). I knew it was pointless to try and recreate my old Howard collection again, so I struck out in a new direction, offering new scholarly opportunities.

In the process of researching Civil War provenances, I have also ended up studying not only the Civil War itself, but the long road to disunion leading up to the war, and the sad history of reconstruction that followed it. I have found it a very rewarding endeavor. Other than the American Revolution itself, the Civil War was the single most important event in US history. It was the culmination of a long series of successive crises and increasingly desperate compromises that led up to it, and the war itself killed nearly 700,000 Americans and radically transformed the lives of many who survived. It's consequences, in Reconstruction, followed by the long night of Jim Crow, followed by desegregation, followed by many of the continuing struggles of the current period, are all directly traceable to its legacy. Even 150 years after its conclusion, the American Civil War is still shrouded in layers of romantic, politically charged myth, which shape popular understanding of it. So naturally, I find the whole subject irresistible.
    Last edited by Clint Geller; 07-19-2017 at 08:29 AM.

Default Re: Whats your single favorite pocket watch in your collection? (By: Clint Geller)

I haven't commented on this thread so far because I realized that I don't have a favorite watch, or rather that which one is my favorite is always changing. Sometimes, it's one that I've been wanting for a long time and finally got. Sometimes it's one I'd almost forgotten I owned. Sometimes, it's one I had to spend a lot of time and effort on.

One thing about doing your own servicing is that you get to know the watch more intimately, so that there's more to it than just what you see from the outside. This is especially true of the watches I bought as naked movements, then had to find a case for.

Default Re: Whats your single favorite pocket watch in your collection? (By: GeneJockey)

Clint,
    Thank you for your very interesting and thoughtful explanation of your new endeavor with pocket watches. I wish you the best of luck. There was an important Howard pocket watch owned by Philo Remington (given to him by his employees). He sold small arms to the Union forces. There was a large single rose-cut diamond topping the push and the case was just magnificent. It was sold at J&H for $16,500.00. I stopped bidding on it before that number! It was sold on 5/3/2015 and you can just search the archives to read about it. The watch really is exquisite.
    Scott

Default Re: Whats your single favorite pocket watch in your collection? (By: 8x57mauser)

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Tzorfas View Post
    Clint,
    Thank you for your very interesting and thoughtful explanation of your new endeavor with pocket watches. I wish you the best of luck. There was an important Howard pocket watch owned by Philo Remington (given to him by his employees). He sold small arms to the Union forces. There was a large single rose-cut diamond topping the push and the case was just magnificent. It was sold at J&H for $16,500.00. I stopped bidding on it before that number! It was sold on 5/3/2015 and you can just search the archives to read about it. The watch really is exquisite.
    Scott
    Hi Scott, thank you sincerely for your good wishes. I'm well aware of the Remington Howard watch. I first held it in my hand about 27 years ago when it was in the collection of my friend, the late Dick Flaute of Columbus, OH. When he sold his collection I had bigger fish to fry, so it went up for auction at J&H. I was the back bidder on it that day. Since then it has changed hands once or twice more. The current owner has generously offered to lend the Remington watch to the Civil War watch exhibit I am organizing at the HQ Museum in 2019.
    Last edited by Clint Geller; 07-19-2017 at 07:50 PM.

Default Re: Whats your single favorite pocket watch in your collection? (By: GeneJockey)

Quote Originally Posted by GeneJockey View Post
    I haven't commented on this thread so far because I realized that I
    don't have a favorite watch, or rather that which one is my favorite is always changing..
    This isn't really that serious a thread. I would believe that many of us can't necessarily
    pick one favorite. I know I can't. Sometimes my favorite watch is the last one I purchased(researched).
    And some of my favorite watches are in other peoples collection

Rob

Blog Entries

Default Re: Whats your single favorite pocket watch in your collection? (By: Ethan Lipsig)

Quote Originally Posted by Ethan Lipsig View Post
    I could divide my collection into loved, cherished, tolerated, and troublesome categories, but I haven't a single favorite. Some of my watches fit into more than one category, such as the diamond-rimmed platinum Cartier watch shown below, which fits into at least the loved and troublesome categories.

I love it for its elegance, extreme thinness, and history. Its original owner was A.E. Lefcourt, who was the leading developer of skyscrapers in New York until he was wiped out in the depression. Many of his building still stand, such as the building shown below, which I believe is across the street from the main branch of the New York Public Library. I bought the watch from A.E. Lefcourt's elderly grandson.

The watch also if firmly esconced in my troublesome category because my watchmaker told me that the plates are so thin, the watch was nearly impossible to service. Worse yet, I live in fear of the mainspring breaking, because replacement mainsprings are seemingly impossible to get for ultra thin watches such as these.

Your watch should not be in any danger. It has three big studs protecting the balance.
    Tom McIntyre Click me.
    If you don't learn to laugh at trouble,
    you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old.
    Will Rogers

Hi Scott, thank you sincerely for your good wishes. I'm well aware of the Remington Howard watch. I first held it in my hand about 27 years ago when it was in the collection of my friend, the late Dick Flaute of Columbus, OH. When he sold his collection I had bigger fish to fry, so it went up for auction at J&H. I was the back bidder on it that day. Since then it has changed hands once or twice more. The current owner has generously offered to lend the Remington watch to the Civil War watch exhibit I am organizing at the HQ Museum in 2019.
    Correction: Dick Flaute was from Dayton, not Columbus.
    Clint Geller, FNAWCC, # 84,947

Registered user.

Default Re: Whats your single favorite pocket watch in your collection? (By: richiec)

Mine is a Elgin Model 1, "Advance", produced in 1878. I was after a KW/KS 19 th century piece to add to my collection. Realizing my dream of a CW era piece is outside my budget as a new collector I found this beauty. It is my first KW/KS and far from a "settle on" piece. Being produced only 13 years after wars end its era reflective and brings a smile to my face when I see the 19th Century charm and craftsmanship. Even as my collection grows , this being my first KW/KS will always be special to me.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Elgin 1878 PW In My Collection.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	145.2 KB 
ID:	350730

I looked at the eBay listing for your watch and it looks very clean
    Nice pick up! Love the Elgins

And it was Serviced, a Big plus.
    Also it looks like it could be in it's original case,
    I don't see any extra case screw marks.

Rob
    Last edited by musicguy; 07-20-2017 at 03:53 PM.

Default Re: Whats your single favorite pocket watch in your collection? (By: Scott Tzorfas)

Long term Gruen p.w. collector. The 50th Anniversary of 1924 is popular as a collectible and I have a couple, but I am certain I have a prototype. Not a finely finished retail or custom product. Its 140,000 serial is years earlier than 1924 but similarly hand engraved and gold plated using their best grade movement. Maybe a unique best Gruen collectible? artbissell

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8343ax.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	521.3 KB 
ID:	350860Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a4.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	109.9 KB 
ID:	350859Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2769ax.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	354.7 KB 
ID:	350861 actual 50th