Goal: $300, Received: $165.00 (55%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Whats your single favorite pocket watch in your collection? (By: richiec)

Quote Originally Posted by richiec View Post
    Added the photo of the Tobias movement. anyone here that can repair a fusee chain?
    Nice watch with a nice provenance, and a direct ancestor too! Great to have the epaulettes along with the watch. I'm hoping to find a Civil War officer's engraved presentation watch along with his presentation sword some day.
    Clint Geller, FNAWCC, # 84,947

Blog Entries

Default Re: Whats your single favorite pocket watch in your collection? (By: Clint Geller)

Even have his metal hat emblem and buttons from the coat along with his everyday epaulets and the metal case the dress epaulattes came in.

Default Re: Whats your single favorite pocket watch in your collection? (By: Dave Coatsworth)

Beautiful! Thanks for sharing!

Default Re: Whats your single favorite pocket watch in your collection? (By: 8x57mauser)

Quote Originally Posted by richiec View Post
    Even have his metal hat emblem and buttons from the coat along with his everyday epaulets and the metal case the dress epaulattes came in.
    Terrific. By the way, those particular kind of epaulettes are usually called shoulder boards, for obvious reasons.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Whats your single favorite pocket watch in your collection? (By: Clint Geller)

As a side bar, I attached them to a wool coat to reenact someone in a cemetery where we lived in NY on Halloween in 2008, they are no prize to have on your shoulders. Back in the day I guess there were better ways to attach them than to make holes and tie them to your shoulders. Probably the first time they had been worn since 1852. Love your watch, Clint, I love doing the genealogy on the names engraved on watches and wonder why family members discard this stuff.

Default Re: Whats your single favorite pocket watch in your collection? (By: richiec)

My favorite pocket watch is usually the one I fixed the most recent. (That is if it was mine). Once the victory charm has dissipated then I usually go back to my old Elgin key wind / key set. It's got all kinds of little issues, but it's a sweet chunky piece of metal. Feels good in my hand and is near always warm in my pocket.
    Good clocks always know the time, that's what they tell.

Bad clocks get glued with macaroni, in Steampunk Hell.

Ahh, the crunchy sound of victory https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGaVUApDVuY

Default Re: Whats your single favorite pocket watch in your collection?

This was my fifth pocket watch I think? Hamilton 946. My favorite because it was a pawn shop rescue and is one of Hamilton's finest pocket watches ever made! The picture is of me with the pocket watch open in the pawn shop. It had been there for 6 months and nobody had ever opened it because nobody knew how and everyone was gawking at the movement even I was when I saw 23 jewels.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20161222_162235_resized.jpg 
Views:	219 
Size:	372.1 KB 
ID:	350362  

Default Re: Whats your single favorite pocket watch in your collection? (By: Spartcom5)

I have the opposite problem, ie trying to find my least favourite watch!
    I've had to limit my collection (you all know why! Ha Ha) so if I see and buy another watch I have to pick my least favourite one and sell it. It used to be easy, some had issues but after many years of this it's difficult. I love them all.

Default Re: Whats your single favorite pocket watch in your collection? (By: rolandantrobus)

Quote Originally Posted by rolandantrobus View Post
    I have the opposite problem, ie trying to find my least favourite watch!
    I've had to limit my collection (you all know why! Ha Ha) so if I see and buy another watch I have to pick my least favourite one and sell it. It used to be easy, some had issues but after many years of this it's difficult. I love them all.
    It gets harder and harder. The solution is to start buying more....so you can sell more...
    John Cote
    Watch Collector (pocket & wrist), Clock Admirer, Time Nerd...

Hi richiec,

I've never seen a M.I. Tobias & Co. watch with an unsigned dial.

Regards, PL

Default Re: Whats your single favorite pocket watch in your collection? (By: Spartcom5)

That Hamilton is sweet. Hamilton's generally are in my opinion. Looks like they have a whiplash type regulator like Illinois but not same. I can't tell how it regulates, but it looks to have an offset cam under center screw maybe.

Nice watch..!
    Good clocks always know the time, that's what they tell.

Bad clocks get glued with macaroni, in Steampunk Hell.

Ahh, the crunchy sound of victory https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGaVUApDVuY

Default Re: Whats your single favorite pocket watch in your collection? (By: RJSoftware)

PL, There are some out there... case signed T & Co .. along with case maker..

Name:	IMG_0957.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	175.1 KB 
ID:	350443   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0958.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	246.0 KB 
ID:	350444   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0961.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	307.2 KB 
ID:	350445  

Default Re: Whats your single favorite pocket watch in your collection? (By: musicguy)

Quote Originally Posted by musicguy View Post

Fantastic

How did you acquire this watch?

Plus the hands on that Ball RR above are great!

Rob
    Sorry, I just noticed your earlier question in reviewing the thread.

I purchased the watch from another NAWCC member who had discovered the Harvard Memorial biography story I mentioned after he acquired the watch - lucky fellow.
    Clint Geller, FNAWCC, # 84,947

I could divide my collection into loved, cherished, tolerated, and troublesome categories, but I haven't a single favorite. Some of my watches fit into more than one category, such as the diamond-rimmed platinum Cartier watch shown below, which fits into at least the loved and troublesome categories.

I love it for its elegance, extreme thinness, and history. Its original owner was A.E. Lefcourt, who was the leading developer of skyscrapers in New York until he was wiped out in the depression. Many of his building still stand, such as the building shown below, which I believe is across the street from the main branch of the New York Public Library. I bought the watch from A.E. Lefcourt's elderly grandson.

The watch also if firmly esconced in my troublesome category because my watchmaker told me that the plates are so thin, the watch was nearly impossible to service. Worse yet, I live in fear of the mainspring breaking, because replacement mainsprings are seemingly impossible to get for ultra thin watches such as these.

Name:	IMG_1325 (524x640).jpg 
Views:	263 
Size:	233.2 KB 
ID:	350489   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1327 (525x640).jpg 
Views:	261 
Size:	251.3 KB 
ID:	350490   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1328_edited (165x640).jpg 
Views:	255 
Size:	83.4 KB 
ID:	350491   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1329 (640x640).jpg 
Views:	261 
Size:	288.7 KB 
ID:	350492   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lefcourt.jpg 
Views:	259 
Size:	102.9 KB 
ID:	350493  

Default Re: Whats your single favorite pocket watch in your collection? (By: Ethan Lipsig)

Clint,
    What about the Howards in your collection? What are your favorite Howard watches that you own?
    Scott