Goal: $300, Received: $20.00 (7%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Whats your single favorite pocket watch in your collection?

Your favorite watch in your collection. What is it? Why is it?

For me, its not my highest grade or rarest. Its a simple American Watch Co 1857, 11 jewel, P.S.Bartlett grade made in 1866. For me its just really clean, no issues, keeps prefect time to within +/- 20 sec per week. It looks to still be in its original case.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170715_151935.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	362.7 KB 
ID:	350204Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170715_151956.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	321.1 KB 
ID:	350205Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170715_152058.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	256.0 KB 
ID:	350206Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170715_152205.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	311.5 KB 
ID:	350207Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170715_152145.jpg 
Size:	214.6 KB 
ID:	350208Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170715_152226.jpg 
Size:	258.8 KB 
ID:	350209Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170715_152245.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	385.3 KB 
ID:	350210Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170715_152353.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	1.49 MB 
ID:	350211

Default Re: Whats your single favorite pocket watch in your collection? (By: 8x57mauser)

In reality I don't have a favorite PW(I do have some least favorites in my collection), but one feature I really like
    on a movement is a jeweled barrel. I have the 12s Elgin 19j B.W. Raymond version, and the 16s 19j Elgin B.W. Raymond
    version now I'm looking to get the 18s grade 240 B.W. Raymond.

So here is my 1913 19j 16s B.W. Raymond.

Rob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0626.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	163.1 KB 
ID:	350214  

Default Re: Whats your single favorite pocket watch in your collection? (By: musicguy)

I am new to collecting pocket watches and I only have three...so far. My favourite is my Waltham 645. It could use a clean and some adjusting but I love it. It's about 60 to 90 seconds off and that is much better than I had anticipated.
    I am at a disadvantage in that I do not work on watches, so I don't get to tweak any I have.
    This one is in the best condition as well. I feel myself becoming partial to Walthams.

Name:	20170715_163732.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	1.88 MB 
ID:	350215Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170715_163748.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	1.88 MB 
ID:	350216Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170715_163820.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	1.73 MB 
ID:	350217

Default Re: Whats your single favorite pocket watch in your collection?

Randy:
    It doesn't take too much skill to learn to Regulate your watch.
    Check out how to regulate a Star Regulator on your Waltham.
    This will allow you to change the timekeeping rate of the watch
    up to a few minutes(plus or minus) per day.
    There are also YouTube videos that show how to regulate a watch.

...............and your
    Waltham 645 is a nice looking watch.

Rob

Last edited by musicguy; 07-15-2017 at 06:39 PM.

Default Re: Whats your single favorite pocket watch in your collection? (By: musicguy)

Quote Originally Posted by musicguy View Post
    Randy:
    It doesn't take too much skill to learn to Regulate your watch.
    Check out how to regulate a Star Regulator on your Waltham.
    This will allow you to change the timekeeping rate of the watch
    up to a few minutes(plus or minus) per day.
    There are also YouTube videos that show how to regulate a watch.

...............and your
    Waltham 645 is a nice looking watch.

Rob

Thank you, Rob. I just adjusted it and will check later to see how it looks. I will check the group for adjusting a Hamilton 936 now.
    I appreciate your help.

Default Re: Whats your single favorite pocket watch in your collection? (By: RandyF)

Well, that's a tough one, but I guess it's got to be my Illinois grade 105.

Name:	Illinois500926Mvmt.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	138.8 KB 
ID:	350226  

My favorite watch would have to be either my gold Waltham AT&Co Grade 16KW that was presented to Brigadier General [actually, already brevet Major General] John Wallace Fuller by the officers and men of the 27th Ohio Infantry, in 1865; or the silver Waltham AT&Co Grade Model 1859 that was carried by a young man named John Hodges, Jr. of Salem MA throughout most of the Civil War.

I love the gold 16KW, which had belonged to the late Dr. William Heilman, because John Fuller was a very illustrious - I would even venture to say famous (in his day) - federal commander. At the Battle of Second Corinth, near Corinth Mississippi, on October 3-4, 1862, a critical battle for control of the Confederacy's last remaining east-west rail line, Fuller's brigade anchored a key position in the federal line in front of a small artillery emplacement called Battery Robinet. Their defense of the position was nothing short of heroic. Several companies of Fuller's brigade, which was known as "Fuller's Ohio Brigade," as his four regiments were all Ohioans, died to a man in position without yielding ground. Run low on ammunition, Fuller's regiments were finally pushed back a hundred yards. Then a fresh Missouri regiment joined them, and all five regiments fixed bayonets and charged back up the hill, capturing the flag of one of the Texas regiments that had briefly gained the fort, and driving them off. Immediately after the battle, the federal army commander, Major General William Rosecrans, rode up to the position and dismounted. Seeing the continuous mass of blue and gray bodies piled several deep in front of the position where Old Glory once again flew, he removed his hat and bowed to the troops in silence, before making a very flattering speech. Battery Robinet at Second Corinth was but one of three especially shining moments in the history of Fuller's brigade. At Parker's Crossroads, TN, on December 31, 1862, Fuller's brigade succeeded in sneaking up on none other than the Confederate irregular cavalry genius, Nathan Bedford Forrest, while he was issuing surrender demands to another federal unit. Fuller's men surprised Forrest's horse holders and forced him to flee, losing 300 men, 350 horses and 7 cannon in the process. (This was the occasion on which Forrest had to execute his famous "attack in both directions" to avoid a greater disaster.) Then during the Battle of Atlanta, in July of 1864, Fuller was commanding a division, when after repulsing a surprise Confederate assault on his front, a second rebel column found a gap between Fuller's division and the adjacent federal unit. The Confederates were around his flank and almost into his rear and were pouring musket fire into the Ohio Brigade's flank. Fuller right wheeled the brigade under heavy enemy fire - an extremely difficult maneuver - and then took the 27th Ohio's colors from the color sergeant and personally led a countercharge that broke the momentum of the Confederate assault and killed its commanding general. An image of a well-known illustration, drawn in the 1880s, is shown below of Fuller, with the colors in his hand, rallying his brigade at the Battle of Atlanta.

My other favorite watch was carried by a "first defender" of the Union, a young Harvard student named John Hodges, Jr. from Salem, Mass., who had enlisted in early 1861 as a private in the Salem Zouaves, in response to President Lincoln's initial call for troops. He rose quickly through the ranks, to First Lieutenant in the 19th MA Infantry, then to Major in the 50th MA Infantry, and finally to the Lieutenant Colonel and C.O. (as the colonel had been bumped up to brigade command) of the 59th MA Infantry. The 59th MA fought throughout the entire bloody Overland Campaign of May-June, 1864, as Grant pushed the Army of the Potomac relentlessly south towards Richmond against Lee's fierce resistance. Lt. Colonel Hodges was KIA by a Confederate shell during the Battle of The Crater, part of the Siege of Petersburg, on July 31, 1864. His older brother, Thorndike Deland Hodges, who had been a Captain in the First North Carolina Volunteers (a unit of freedmen with white officers), contributed five pages about John to the "Harvard Memorial Biographies." In that piece, Thorndike quotes from a letter he received after his brother's death, which states that John's pockets were examined, and a pencil, a piece of paper and a watch were recovered from his pockets, which were enclosed with the letter. Thus, documentary proof exists that the watch was in John Hodges Jr.'s pocket when he was killed in action!

Name:	Fuller Watch Cuvette and Presentation.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	263.5 KB 
ID:	350230   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fuller Watch Dial.jpg 
Size:	230.3 KB 
ID:	350231   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fuller Watch Movement.jpg 
Size:	255.6 KB 
ID:	350232   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fuller's division rallies after being pushed back.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	96.9 KB 
ID:	350233   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Plaque - Parker's Cross Roads.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	17.1 KB 
ID:	350234  

Name:	Fuller-John-Wallace[1].jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	16.5 KB 
ID:	350235   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hodges Watch Cuvette and Inscription.jpg 
Size:	214.0 KB 
ID:	350236   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	J Hodges dial cropped.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	236.6 KB 
ID:	350237   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	J Hodges Movt cropped.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	367.4 KB 
ID:	350238   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo of Major John Hodges.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	79.3 KB 
ID:	350239  

Name:	Harvard Mem Bios V2 p 306-7.PNG 
Views:	25 
Size:	637.0 KB 
ID:	350240  
    Last edited by Clint Geller; 07-15-2017 at 10:55 PM.
    Clint Geller, FNAWCC, # 84,947

Default Re: Whats your single favorite pocket watch in your collection? (By: Clint Geller)

I keep changing my mind ..........

Default Re: Whats your single favorite pocket watch in your collection? (By: johnbscott)

For an online chapter, of which I am a member, we were asked to talk about the 3 watches from our collections which we would save from being run over by a steam-roller if we could save only 3. The 3 (no steam-roller) watches have probably changed since this exercise but my favorite 1 is probably the same. It is not the most valuable but is has a couple of things going for it...to me. It was owned, before I owned it by two collectors who were mentors of mine and it has hometown (Indy) heritage.

John Cote
    Watch Collector (pocket & wrist), Clock Admirer, Time Nerd...

Blog Entries

Default Re: Whats your single favorite pocket watch in your collection? (By: John Cote)

My favorite, the one that got me into pocket watches, is my great, great, great, great grandfather, Abraham Bragaw Brinckerhoff's M I Tobias fusee in a Benedict Brothers 18K case from 1847. The one picture shows his epaulets as a Colonel of the 7th Regiment, New York National Guard before he retired in 1852.

Name:	7th regiment NYNG 009.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	152.3 KB 
ID:	350268   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7th regiment NYNG 010.jpg 
Size:	307.0 KB 
ID:	350269   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7th regiment NYNG 012.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	211.6 KB 
ID:	350270   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7th regiment NYNG 014.jpg 
Size:	398.0 KB 
ID:	350271  

Default Re: Whats your single favorite pocket watch in your collection? (By: richiec)

The one picture shows his epaulets
    Fantastic

My other favorite watch was carried by a "first defender"
    of the Union, a young Harvard student named John Hodges
    How did you acquire this watch?

Plus the hands on that Ball RR above are great!

Rob

I have always appreciated the aesthetics of the Elgin Interchangeable (Convertible) models. Therefore, I would select my 21-Jewel Grade 91 as the favorite.

Name:	IMG_6124.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	289.0 KB 
ID:	350280   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6081.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	275.9 KB 
ID:	350281  

Default Re: Whats your single favorite pocket watch in your collection? (By: richiec)

Quote Originally Posted by richiec View Post
    My favorite, the one that got me into pocket watches, is my great, great, great, great grandfather, Abraham Bragaw Brinckerhoff's M I Tobias fusee.....
    Wowzers!
    John Cote
    Watch Collector (pocket & wrist), Clock Admirer, Time Nerd...

Default Re: Whats your single favorite pocket watch in your collection? (By: John Cote)

I have always appreciated the aesthetics of the Elgin Interchangeable (Convertible) models.
    I agree

Rob

Blog Entries

Added the photo of the Tobias movement. anyone here that can repair a fusee chain?

Name:	tobias and centennial 002.jpg 
Size:	141.6 KB 
ID:	350292