Goal: $300, Received: $55.00 (18%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Default School laboratory timers

I bought a tangent galvanometer recently at auction and it came with this lab timer matked Pye Instruments cambridge on the front. The movement says made in Tameside, which is now part of Greater Manchester but was then a completely separate place I imagine.

I have no idea how old it is, or who in Tameside made it.

It predates my education, when I was at secondary school we had these

That was in the late sixties early seventies.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0223.jpg 
Views:	795 
Size:	356.5 KB 
ID:	350159   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0222.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	352.1 KB 
ID:	350160   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0224.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	304.6 KB 
ID:	350161  
    Nick, lots to learn, late starter.

Default Re: School laboratory timers

I suspect it is supposed to be read "Made in England" and that Tame Side is the trade name used by Hirst Brothers & Co., LTD. established ca. 1898, though its ancestor company apparently goes back to 1884, when Alfred Hirst opened a Jewelry store at 34 Union Street in Oldham. The original company went bankrupt in 1926, restructured in 1928, and then moved their original business in Roscoe Street. After WWI, because of a fall off of sales in clocks, the company diversified. making various other types on instruments. So, at least, I gather from Glanville and Wolmuth's Clockmaking in England and Wales in the Twentieth Century, p. 36.
    “If one tells the truth, one is sure, sooner or later, to be found out.” - Oscar Wilde

Default Re: School laboratory timers (By: Steven Thornberry)

Steven is right.

JTD

Default Re: School laboratory timers

Well, that's the ha'penny-tuppenny version of their history. The full story is much more involved. As Charlie McCarthy might have said: "it's a long story - and a dirty one."

I suppose the 23 might mean 1923, but I'm not sure, but FWIW, it's close to the time (1924) Great Britain lifted the import tax on luxury goods for a while, making German clocks more competitive. The movement looks like the 30-hour timepiece movement shown on pages 42 & 43 of Glanville & Wolmuth, fig. 2.73 to 2.75. It also has a number that looks like 25 (or 23, possibly).

I am not sure how long the Tame Side name was in use, but probably at least until 1926.

Perhaps Jonathan will see this and offer insight and needed correction.
    Last edited by Steven Thornberry; 07-15-2017 at 11:01 AM.
    “If one tells the truth, one is sure, sooner or later, to be found out.” - Oscar Wilde

Default Re: School laboratory timers (By: Steven Thornberry)

That fits with what I would have thought, I was thinking between the wars. Thanks.

It is running very well, my carriage clock key will wind it but not reset the subsidiary hand. It doesn't do the flyback thing the smiths one does so it has that pointer like on a barometer, but you should be able to rest the subsidiary.

I'll have to do a time trial and see how long it runs. The smiths one we use as a kitchen timer.

Default Re: School laboratory timers (By: novicetimekeeper)

I was wondering how the stop start worked (It had stopped through the night so hadn't made 30 hours but still some spring left)

It's simple but clever. The horizontal bar you push from one side to the other has a piece of spring brass strip attached. This engages with the rim of the balance wheel as a balance wheel break. The clever bit is when you slide it the other way it kick starts the balance wheel, quite important for a stop clock.