Goal: $300, Received: $55.00 (18%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Rack and Gathering Pallet Issue (By: bangster)

Bangster, thank you for the Chime Clock Basis piece.

Registered user.

Default Re: Rack and Gathering Pallet Issue (By: dwlodyka)

Usually it moves from a stop on the rack hook to
    a stop on the long lever. This is a warning cycle.
    Tinker Dwight

Default Re: Rack and Gathering Pallet Issue (By: Tinker Dwight)

To set the chime train, first be sure that the snail is in the correct position to allow the strike function to work correctly. Then remove the count wheel (front upper right, with the cam notches and a set screw) and allow the chime to run until it stops. That will be the 3/4 hour chime correction stop. Put the count wheel back on at the 3/4 hour position. Loosen the chime wheel at the back of the movement and turn the chimes until the end of the 3/4 hour chime is reached (four hammers fall in sequence, front to back or back to front). Tighten it down. That's it.
    A man with a clock always knows the time. A man with two clocks is never sure.

Default Re: Rack and Gathering Pallet Issue (By: JTD)

I will have questions, however I want to review Bangster's Chime Clock Basics first.

Default Re: Rack and Gathering Pallet Issue (By: shutterbug)

When I try to set the chime train, the train runs as if it is at the quarter hour and then locks. Each time I move the minute hand to trigger the chime train, the train will run as if it is the quarter hour. I cannot seem to get the correction hook to drop into the détente in the correction cam. In other words, when I start the chime train, it does not run until the three-quarter correction détente. The correction hook cam follower will not drop into the détente on the correction cam.

When I remove the count wheel, the chime should run until the cam follower falls into the détente in the cam? That is not happening.

Registered user.

I'm a little confused by your terms. What are you referring to as the count wheel and detent in the cam?
    The correction detent is usually part of the chime locking plate but when not, one needs to set the
    locking plate to the end of the 3/4 to match the correction lock.
    Tinker Dwight

It looks like the stop pin might be between the plates on that one. I suspect that there are two hooks, one for the regular chime and one for the auto-synch function. That last one is probably set too low, and is grabbing the stop pin at every pass. It should only engage at the 3/4 hour.

I've included more pictures. I hope that they help.

As I understand the instructions, the count wheel is removed and the chime train set in motion. Once in motion, the chime train should run until the follower on the correction cam falls into the détente on the cam. However, this is not happening on this movement. The correction hook never grabs the pin. Instead, the chime sequence never goes beyond the first quarter. Also, the correction cam follower never drops into the détente and the correction hook never grabs the correction pin. The cam is located on the same arbor as is the countwheel.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Part_1.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	160.8 KB 
ID:	350373   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170717_115320_001.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	145.1 KB 
ID:	350374   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Part_1 (1).jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	166.8 KB 
ID:	350375  

OK, when the pin is in position to be stopped by the levers, stop the fly, loosen the detente and move it to position the lever in the way of the pin. See if that fixes things for you.

I can get the chime side to chime in the correct order and length if I align the détente in the count wheel with the stop pin and the lever that stops it. However, won't I also have to align the détente in the count wheel with the drop off on the correction cam? Otherwise, the correction lever will never fall low enough to capture the correction pin?

By count wheel, I mean the chime locking plate. By détente in the cam, I mean the correction cam (where the follower falls off after riding on the cam. As I understand, it is this "drop off" of the correction cam that activates the correction hook. I hope that this explains my thought more clearly.

Typical of bushing wear. With mainspring power released wiggle main gears back and forth. Any pivot tip that you see that wiggles equal to or more than 1/3rd the diameter of the pivot needs bushing work. Obvious signs of a worn bushing hole is shaped like an oval, where the pressure of the gears pushing makes the pivot eat the bushing hole into an oval. This causes gears to bog down to tighten in a bad mesh.

I take the cam off first before disassembly. Put your finger on gear after fly and twist back and forth gently to pull cam off. It's a friction fit.
    Most times I can leave the pressed on minute arbor pinion alone. Just make re-assembly a little more awkward.

RJ

Quote Originally Posted by dwlodyka View Post
    I can get the chime side to chime in the correct order and length if I align the détente in the count wheel with the stop pin and the lever that stops it. However, won't I also have to align the détente in the count wheel with the drop off on the correction cam? Otherwise, the correction lever will never fall low enough to capture the correction pin?
    Yes, but for now leave it off until you can verify the stop. Then put it on in the 3/4 position.

Registered user.

Quote Originally Posted by shutterbug View Post
    Yes, but for now leave it off until you can verify the stop. Then put it on in the 3/4 position.
    By "leave it off" he means chime plate.
    Just to clarify.
    Tinker Dwight

Before I begin to make adjustments, there is one more feature to this clock that perhaps I need an explanation of. On the same arbor that carries the long locking lever, is a small lever that seems to lift the correction hook between the plates. It is visible in the pictures and is adjusted via a set screw. I'm not sure as to how that lifting lever should be set up.

Thank you for your help!

Dennis