Goal: $300, Received: $55.00 (18%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Default Barrel pincher blues

Hello all.

The barrel tool that punches a new prong in mainspring barrels seems a bit destructive.

I have practiced and have it as adequate as I think it can be, but I don't like the results and hesitate to use it because it's easy to miss the correct spot/depth.

Was thinking that it might be better to use it to punch a small flat brass piece, put a prong on that, and then solder that to inside of barrel. So to leave the barrel nicer.

Also wondering if you guys have to do a little filing of the new prong so the spring will fit underneath.

Opinions/advice appreciated.

RJ
    Last edited by RJSoftware; 07-13-2017 at 04:07 AM.

Default Re: Barrel pincher blues (By: RJSoftware)

Nobody know...?

I agree, that tool is destructive and would rather drill and shape a hole at an angle and then insert a pin and solder it. The pin is shaped for the interior prior to soldering and the portion outside of the barrel is removed after attachment. Serious cleaning is then done to remove all traces of flux.
    Darrah
    Chap. 15, 124, 139, 149, 168

Default Re: Barrel pincher blues (By: darrahg)

You would be in agreement with Fried and I think De Carle too. Problem I have with that is that I never seem to have a good brass pin the correct size. But also I am better with the soldering since I bought myself some new flux. I was using an old flux that was no good. New flux made all the difference in the world...!!!

Have you ever had problems with the strength of the pin or the soldering job causing issues?

Also have you used the hole punch for the mainsprings? I have ended up using them on hairsprings that did not have hole ends to make due. Or on the winding arbor side. They have worked but seems questionable.

RJ

Quote Originally Posted by darrahg View Post
    I agree, that tool is destructive and would rather drill and shape a hole at an angle and then insert a pin and solder it. The pin is shaped for the interior prior to soldering and the portion outside of the barrel is removed after attachment. Serious cleaning is then done to remove all traces of flux.

Blog Entries

Hi RJ,

I agree about those horrible punches, far better to do what darrahg suggests, or even make a steel hook which screws in and is then riveted and cleaned up; no need for solder. The same goes for making the hole in a mainspring, I use a pointed punch to make a dimple and then file the top off to make the initial hole before using a round escapement file to bring it to the right size. This imposes far less stress on the steel.

Regards,

Graham

"Ut tensio, sic vis" - Robert Hooke