Goal: $300, Received: $55.00 (18%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Default Need info on Morbier (or others) with crown escapement wheel

I am fascinated by the crown wheel esc. movement.

Although they are expensive I am contemplating a purchase.
    Can someone give me a general overview on the care & feeding of this style wall clock.
    I know that some have alarms & that the bell is quite loud.

Some have the prayer feature of ringing again a few mins after the hour.

If you could give me the pros & cons so to speak on these antique pieces, I would be very grateful
    "Preparation is nine-tenths of the law" - My father

Default Re: Need info on Morbier (or others) with crown escapement wheel (By: Ron751)

morbier/comtoise are incredibly cheap here, quite undervalued. never too sure of the difference but they are very similar to posted frame clocks here.

I have two verge escapement clocks and would love more, I adore the sound, more of a thump than a tick.
    Nick, lots to learn, late starter.

Registered user.

Default Re: Need info on Morbier (or others) with crown escapement wheel (By: novicetimekeeper)

Comtoise clock movement are very very sturdy movement and I love them. The early ones (say until 1775) struck the hour once and after that time they started making the movements which struck the hour twice in between two or three minutes. The bell is very loud and many have the hammer covered with some felt or leather to soften the bell. They run for 8 days on one winding and are a joy to work on as a amateur restorer. Prices have dropped considerable and are very low here also.

Default Re: Need info on Morbier (or others) with crown escapement wheel (By: P.Hageman)

added to the above:afaik comtoises with verge escapement are the cheapest clocks You can buy at this time with this pecial escapement:english lantern clocks changed to recoil escapement in the first quarter of the 18th cent.,french also,and these are considerably more expensive;early bracket or table clocks with that escapement go in the $$$$ region.The comtoises used that escapement well up top the mid-19th century in huge numbers and You can get them with chance for a few hundred dollars.Good luck !
    Burkhard
    Gigni de nihilo nihil,et nihil in nihilum posse reverti
    (Persius)

Default Re: Need info on Morbier (or others) with crown escapement wheel (By: Burkhard Rasch)

I agree, it is definitely the cheapest way to get a verge escapement, unless you buy a pocket watch.

I'm always on the lookout for another bracket clock but they aren't cheap, and lanterns are something else again if they have original verge escapement.
    Nick, lots to learn, late starter.

Registered user.

Default Re: Need info on Morbier (or others) with crown escapement wheel (By: novicetimekeeper)

Hi, I also like them and have several. The main thing I find with them is they have less power so you need the right pendulum. I generally find them more difficult to set up, but they can be very strong runners. I have a couple that run all the time. Charles