Goal: $300, Received: $30.00 (10%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: 1860's Fusee in 18KT CONVERTIBLE case , runs fine, would like input!

I know I'm confused... my case should be of an older design if I read the patent description in the link you posted correctly....but then the date on the signature plate should be earlier than 1858...oh well
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom McIntyre View Post
    In looking further into the patent information, I found this reissue of the Watson patent that was licensed to Baldwin. http://pdfpiw.uspto.gov/.piw?docid=R...6RS=PN/RE00586

The further one digs the more confusing it gets. Watson was an Englishman who licensed the patent exclusively to Baldwin and Bliss of New Jersey. The Watson patent also incorporates two pivot points.

Watson references prior work, so the term Magic Case was older than this invention. The more common Cabriolet case is certainly older and may date from before 1830.

I also have a recollection of a case where both of the back covers opened if in the open face configuration but that may be my imagination running away with me.
    Last edited by Tom McIntyre; 07-16-2017 at 09:29 PM. Reason: fix quote
    PiersLawrence
    In the end, time makes fools of us all...some more than others.'

Blog Entries

Default Re: 1860's Fusee in 18KT CONVERTIBLE case , runs fine, would like input! (By: 4thdimension)

Quote Originally Posted by 4thdimension View Post
    Not your imagination Tom if you are talking about the watch I used to have. That case had more hinges than I'd ever seen before.-Cort
    Cort, the OP's watch also opens both back covers, but I think he needs to use an opener. The one I may misremember opened "both" back covers when the pendant button was depressed.
    Tom McIntyre Click me.
    If you don't learn to laugh at trouble,
    you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old.
    Will Rogers

Default Re: 1860's Fusee in 18KT CONVERTIBLE case , runs fine, would like input!

To All who contributed to helping me to learn a lot more about this watch than I knew a week ago ---- A BIG thank you! I still have a bit of a puzzle to work on, but that's a good thing --- keeps the brain limber!
    PiersLawrence
    In the end, time makes fools of us all...some more than others.'