Goal: $300, Received: $55.00 (18%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Dutch Man of Hour: Missing Keys and Hands

Please help me to rescue this ‘Man of the Hour Dutch’ clock that I bought from value village yesterday for 20$. I have opened the dial, mechanism looks fresh. There are few wheels made of plastic. Does that mean the mechanism of the clock is not that vintage/has been replaced?
    Missing parts:
    a. Winder key
    b. Hands

Questions:
    a. How to find the exact key number? Where to order from? Plz suggest economical options. I need to order keys almost/close to the size of its winding pivot/axle for 3 other miniature frame/cabinet clocks (all German). Once I have the keys I can put them on run.

b. Where/how can I find exact size/number for the hands to buy? Where do I order from?

c. Should the minute hand sit on the metal/silver pivot/axle?

d. should the hour hand sit on the black/plastic pivot/axle (extension of the black wheel covering the metal axle)?

e. How to prevent the black plastic wheel from coming out forward from the other wheels it is sitting on? I don’t see any barrier/washer/lining/(IDK what exactly they are called) to prevent the wheel from a forward sliding movement off the other wheels.

f. Is the pendulum of right weight? Seems like very light/imitation
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	19554651_10155433464108911_2699178202226940043_n.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	19.5 KB 
ID:	349941   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	19904984_10155433464118911_3468973604932285814_n.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	63.7 KB 
ID:	349942   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	19959477_10155433464113911_6715860065316507687_n.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	83.3 KB 
ID:	349943  

Default Re: Dutch Man of Hour: Missing Keys and Hands (By: spiderman6)

I think some further pictures of the movement itself might help define the problem for us. As for the key, you'll want to use an accurate caliper to measure the square winding shaft. Obtain that dimension in both metric and English units, because parts catalogs tend to use both systems. I've found that Timesavers has a fairly comprehensive selection of keys to everything, and they're inexpensive. Note that there are several systems of key sizes, only some of which make sense.

As for the hands, you'll want to measure the diameter of both minute and hour shafts. The hour hand probably fits by friction, and the minute hand likely goes on a square shaft and is held in place by either a pin through the handshaft or a nut threaded onto the end of the minute handshaft. It's possible that your black plastic wheel is held in place by the dial itself; again, pull the dial off and send pictures of the movement from several angles, back and front.

The pendulums on some novelty clocks consist of a piece of wire and a stamped brass bob and thus can seem fake. But they are real, so hang onto every part that seems like a part of your clock.

And please bear in mind that the bulk of clock repair work consists of, well, repair work rather than parts replacement. When you do have to replace a part, you typically wind up buying a rough replica that you can adapt to fit your clock with file and drill and fire and sword.

It's actually fun.

M Kinsler
    512 East Mulberry Street; Lancaster, Ohio USA 740-503-1973; kinsler33@gmail.com
    http://www.lancastereaglegazette.com/search/kinsler/

Default Re: Dutch Man of Hour: Missing Keys and Hands

It appears to be a reproduction. I have a similar one, and the key is just a standard novelty key like Timesavers #10193.
    My camera battery just died, so I'll post some pics of the hands tomorrow.
    A man with a clock always knows the time. A man with two clocks is never sure.

Registered user.

Default Re: Dutch Man of Hour: Missing Keys and Hands (By: shutterbug)

Just for my understanding: why call this "Dutch man"of hour Is this how this clock is called in Canada?

Default Re: Dutch Man of Hour: Missing Keys and Hands (By: P.Hageman)

I was wondering the same thing! There does not seem anything specifically Dutch about the figure and I have never heard these clocks called this before.

As Shutterbug says, this is a modern repro. novelty clock.

JTD

Default Re: Dutch Man of Hour: Missing Keys and Hands (By: JTD)

The chapter ring is arcaded, which does suggest a Dutch influence in there somewhere.
    Nick, lots to learn, late starter.

Default Re: Dutch Man of Hour: Missing Keys and Hands (By: novicetimekeeper)

Hmmm.......well I suppose so, but it's a very tenuous connection! And I've never heard this type of clock called that before.

JTD

even though we get arcaded longcase chapter rings here it was a very brief fashion and thought to be a Dutch influence. I wonder if this was supposed to be an intinerant clock seller or something.
    Nick, lots to learn, late starter.

Here is a picture of mine. It has a sticker on the bottom that says: "Clock Peddler" and "Made in Germany". Sorry for the dramatic shadow on the figure, caused by my improper placement of the light for photography.

Best to all,

George

Name:	Clock Peddler.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	80.2 KB 
ID:	349974  
    Time is a great story teller... Irish Proverb

Default Re: Dutch Man of Hour: Missing Keys and Hands (By: P.Hageman)

Here is a possibility: https://www.justcollecting.com/clock...the-hour-clock

The man of the hour in this instance is Franklin D Roosevelt. I had no idea there were such things until I got one in for repair some weeks ago. Research shows that there were several versions of this clock, each with a slightly different sculpture and a different (animated) dial. The clock I got is in very poor condition but has a dial depicting a cocktail party with a bartender holding a cocktail shaker, long missing. The cocktail shaker was glued to the end of an extension of the pallet arbor. For those unfamiliar with US history, the connection between Mr Roosevelt and cocktail parties is that he took office in 1933 at the same time that an ill-advised national prohibition on alcoholic beverages was repealed.

I think the movement was a New Haven that just needed a cleaning.

Glass and bezel are long gone, but I was able to get the movement mounted reasonably well, so there's that much. The owner is a professor who has in his collection another almost identical statue/clock of a guy steering the ship of state. The other statue, however, is of Chairman Mao Tse-Tung.

With the movement mounted in the pot-metal sculpture the ticking can be heard in the next room.

Mark Kinsler

Default Re: Dutch Man of Hour: Missing Keys and Hands (By: kinsler33)

Yes, I've had two (different) models of those and I liked them for the historical aspect. One was the cocktail shaker/barman model which worked perfectly. Being fond of history I wanted to keep them but finally had to sell them. They are not often seen outside US I think, so I was reluctant to part with them.

JTD

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, I've often seen them called 'Clock Peddler', sometimes with a crate of clocks on his back.

JTD

My daughter says that the wagging pendulum at the pelvis is gross

Registered user.

Quote Originally Posted by shutterbug View Post
    Hmmm, I think she right

Quote Originally Posted by shutterbug View Post
    I don't suppose the NAWCC has a branch dedicated to the abolition of non-tasteful horological objects. There are some memorable specimens out there. Hula girls come to mind.

M Kinsler

Here's a pic of the hands on mine.

Name:	IMG_3679.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	158.5 KB 
ID:	350012