Goal: $300, Received: $30.00 (10%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Please step away from the soldering iron...

I started working on this Junghans mantle clock and opened a can of worms. The owner said that a "clock repairman" had worked on the clock several years ago, but that it only ran for a few months before it stopped. He stated that he was able to get it running again by liberal application of WD-40

There is a "bushing" made entirely of solder, solder on the rack hook, and finally a mainspring soldered to the arbor. No effort was made to clean any of the flux, so there is some nasty corrosion. The movement was dripping WD-40. You can see the worst of the effects on the inside of the back plate.

I have run across this particular "repairman's" work before, (memorialized in this very Hall of Shame) I have to admit, I was actually a bit excited to see what new bodges he had left for me to clean up. He didn't disappoint.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0640.jpg 
Views:	1466 
Size:	385.0 KB 
ID:	349925   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0641.jpg 
Views:	346 
Size:	200.3 KB 
ID:	349926   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0642.jpg 
Views:	350 
Size:	251.1 KB 
ID:	349927   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0647.jpg 
Views:	351 
Size:	218.7 KB 
ID:	349928   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0648.jpg 
Views:	352 
Size:	558.8 KB 
ID:	349929  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0658.jpg 
Views:	349 
Size:	462.0 KB 
ID:	349930   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0661.jpg 
Views:	357 
Size:	302.4 KB 
ID:	349931   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0664.jpg 
Views:	351 
Size:	416.8 KB 
ID:	349932  

Default Re: Please step away from the soldering iron... (By: Willys_1)

Wow, you have a chore ahead of you. I have never seen a MS soldered to the arbor. I am not to old to learn. I always thought they had to be bent to fit the arbor.

Default Re: Please step away from the soldering iron... (By: dickstorer)

The soldered mainspring was a first for me as well. The hook on the arbor and the hole in the mainspring were both OK. They could have been used with a little reshaping of the inner leaf of the mainspring. I plan to replace the mainspring as there is corrosion from the flux.

Default Re: Please step away from the soldering iron... (By: dickstorer)

please tell me that this guy is not a member of the forum?

we need to get him online here as soon as possible and reading through the hall of shame threads.... and asking how one does something before he butchers another one.
    i collect antique clocks because i get all that extra time...

The worst I've come across is the punching of pivot holes and mangling of levers. I think you have the grand prize winner for the Hall of Shame.

Default Re: Please step away from the soldering iron...

How in the world did that soldered mainspring withstand the sheer strength of the mainspring being wound up? That may be the dumbest repair yet! If it was silver solder, it may take a bit of heat to remove it
    A man with a clock always knows the time. A man with two clocks is never sure.

Default Re: Please step away from the soldering iron... (By: shutterbug)

It took quite a bit of heat to separate the spring from the arbor. I was planning on replacing the spring anyway, so I went straight for the butane torch...after I cleaned the WD-40 off of the spring. (I know that the aerosol in the WD-40 is what is highly combustible, but there was enough gunk coating the springs that I didn't want to take the chance. Better to clean them than spend the next decade trying to explain the spiral burn marks to your wife)

I've never seen a soldered mainspring either. Willie X

Default Re: Please step away from the soldering iron... (By: Willie X)

Wow, a soldered mainspring! That says a lot about the repairer, especially since the arbor hook wasn't missing.

That so-called repair man must be a gifted sales person. I've noticed this ability in many incompetent repairers. I love it when they claim they have years and years of experience. There is a lot more to this trade than experience.

I've seen 'solder bushings' a few times. They were fun to fix especially when the depthing was incorrect. I charge a bit extra when I have to remove excess solder.
    Andrea D. Gilpin

Default Re: Please step away from the soldering iron... (By: Piisimuhkaan)

Just when we think we've seen it all someone comes up with something even more stupid and nasty. I can't imagine anyone soldering a main spring to the arbor......and ever expecting it would hold. Glad I wasn't the one that had to wind it! At least that example from this thread deserves to be in the HOS. This guy (if it was a guy) needs to find a now occupation!

RC

Default Re: Please step away from the soldering iron... (By: R. Croswell)

Wow what a heck of a botch Well maybe he saw where somebody told him solder was an option.
    R&A

Registered user.

Default Re: Please step away from the soldering iron... (By: R. Croswell)

What a creative way to deal with attaching the main spring
    to the arbor. That is such a pain to do.
    I guess he had the soldering setup out anyway for the main
    spring so why not gob some solder in for a bushing.
    Did you explain to the customer that the WD-40 was not
    real good for a clock movement.
    Tinker Dwight

Default Re: Please step away from the soldering iron... (By: Tinker Dwight)

I had a conversation with the customer about how WD-40 reacts with the brass and should never be used on clocks. I will reinforce this with pictures when I return the clock.

I don't know why Junghans employed that off-set brass spool around the mainspring arbor. In my experience they don't hold well. Perhaps they require some precision adaptation of the mainspring's inner coil. I ran across a Tambour that had one of these set up on it's Chime Mainspring and the thing had let loose and caused damage to the gear train. I ended up replacing the "spool" so that the new mainspring wouldn't slip off the hook and cause damage again..

Default Re: Please step away from the soldering iron... (By: Time After Time)

Good point, never noticed this.
    RJ

Quote Originally Posted by Time After Time View Post
    I don't know why Junghans employed that off-set brass spool around the mainspring arbor. In my experience they don't hold well. Perhaps they require some precision adaptation of the mainspring's inner coil. I ran across a Tambour that had one of these set up on it's Chime Mainspring and the thing had let loose and caused damage to the gear train. I ended up replacing the "spool" so that the new mainspring wouldn't slip off the hook and cause damage again..