Goal: $300, Received: $30.00 (10%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Need 2 mainsprings.

Hello All

I have to replace 2 mainsprings in a time and strike clock. The old springs measurements area s follows:

5/16 X 0.011" X 72"

1/2" X 0.0105" X 66 1/2 "

Both springs go into barrels.

I can only find them in different strengths. I have checked several catalogues, Timesavers R&M, Merritt's, Ronell, SCS, and Mile High,

Any other sources would be helpful.

Gordon

Default Re: Need 2 mainsprings. (By: gordon)

Are the old ones missing?
    Willie X

Default Re: Need 2 mainsprings. (By: Willie X)

Hello Willie X

No I have the old mainsprings. One is broke, and the customer wants both springs replaced. Replacing both springs is what i will be paid for.

If it were my clock i would just repair the one spring. But, I have to make the customer happy.

Gordon

Well,
    In your case, the best repair and maybe the only good repair, would be to to repair/service the old springs, assuming the broken one is broken at the outer end.

I'm working on an Ansonia crystal regulator now. The spring is broken in the middle and it looks like I will have to replace a 3/4" x .010" x 80" with a 3/4" x .012" x 75". Not good but I'm not seeing any better option.
    Willie X

Which spring is broken? I know that logic would say if one spring broke then the other is not far behind, but these are two quite different springs and spring failure is usually caused by some defect or specific event and not just age alone. Even if you find a new spring of correct size it may still be a lesser quality than the original. The customer brought the clock to you because of your expertise, I would simply recommend keeping the unbroken spring and only charge for replacing the one.

Timesavers lists a 25/64 wide x 0.012 thick x 73 long. With the spring restrained properly it might be able to be ground to the proper width my a machine shop with a surface grinder, or even a hand grinder with care. If the broken spring is broken at the outer end, I agree with Willie, the best option may be to make a new hole and repair that end. I personally don't even try to repair a broken inner coil.

RC

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

Gordon, you could contact Timewise to get custom made springs to match the original. Tell your customer how much this will cost before ordering them.
    Timewise (formerly Tani Engineering)
    330-947-0047 email: twclock08@att.net
    Larry Wise
    Custom Made Mainsprings
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

This might work for one of the two: http://www.ronellclock.com/Mainsprin...2-L-MS-149.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Willie X View Post
    Well,
    In your case, the best repair and maybe the only good repair, would be to to repair/service the old springs, assuming the broken one is broken at the outer end.

I'm working on an Ansonia crystal regulator now. The spring is broken in the middle and it looks like I will have to replace a 3/4" x .010" x 80" with a 3/4" x .012" x 75". Not good but I'm not seeing any better option.
    Willie X
    Here may be an option Willie: http://www.ronellclock.com/Mainsprin...2-L-MS-194.htm ...might be too short but probably better than overpowering the movement, or trying to fit a thicker spring into the barrel?

Default Re: Need 2 mainsprings. (By: Time After Time)

Hello All

Thank you for all the replies.

R. Croswell it is the 1/2 " spring that is broke at the inner end . While a repair is what I would do the customer has strongly asked for replacements.

harold bain I will check with Timewise to get custom mainspring. This is good to know.

Time After Time I will check the barrel to see if that mainspring will fit.

Gordon

Gordon,
    Please report back on the total cost on a custom spring.
    Willie X

Hello Willie X

as soon as I get a reply i will post the prices.

Hello Willie X

The reply:
    Yes I can provide these springs. The cost for these are pretty much the same because the one is narrower (5/16"), but is thicker at .011" and the other is wider (1/2"), but is thinner at .010". Therefore the springs are $25.79 each so for one of each the price is $51.58 plus shipping. I use the Priority flat rate boxes for shipping, which the small flat rate box is $7.15. Therefore the total for the 2 springs and shipping is $58.73. I do require payment of the total amount by check or money order to get the springs started in my shop. My current turn around time is 2 to 3 weeks. Please let me know.

Not a terrible price for custom made springs. Are you going for it? Let us know how they look and act when you get them.
    A man with a clock always knows the time. A man with two clocks is never sure.

That's not to bad. I hope he gets enough work to stay in business ...
    In the last 10 years or so, Ive run across a big Hershede mantle and a Welch Patti that I had to 'make do' with iffy springs. If I ever see them again, the customers will probably be glad to pay the price for new springs.
    Thanks Gordon and Harold,
    Willie X

Quote Originally Posted by Willie X View Post
    That's not to bad. I hope he gets enough work to stay in business ...
    In the last 10 years or so, Ive run across a big Hershede mantle and a Welch Patti that I had to 'make do' with iffy springs. If I ever see them again, the customers will probably be glad to pay the price for new springs.
    Thanks Gordon and Harold,
    Willie X
    Perhaps the administrators will add that link to the resources section?

That's a very reasonable price for those custom springs. Of course that Welch Patti uses two main springs for each train and each pair needs to be matched. Nice to know there is a source. Last one I did I was able to get a pair of springs from one of the usual suppliers, ordered the same spring again for another clock a few months later and no longer available. I suspect it will become harder and harder to find uncommon springs 'off the rack'.

RC