Goal: $300, Received: $20.00 (7%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Default Longines Information

Would any Longines expert have any information on this watch.. It's about a 10 size, key wind and set.. interesting signature on the plates with what I would think, a lower serial number for a Longines watch..
    Thanks for any comments...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0941.JPG 
Views:	46 
Size:	356.4 KB 
ID:	349399   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0943.JPG 
Views:	26 
Size:	294.4 KB 
ID:	349400  

Default Re: Longines Information (By: John Pavlik)

Hi John, I have a few of these; you are lucky you have the Case. My movements have sat neglected in a drawer for years because I cannot find Cases. The 2 on the left work and have Dials. It you look at a Longines website you should be able to date your very nice Pocket Watch. Regards Ray Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170709_014818.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	163.5 KB 
ID:	349403

Default Re: Longines Information

It's more anecdotal than well researched fact, but IMO these are the result of Georges Aggasiz taking over the marketing and US sales representation for Longines in the USA. He was trying to make the Longines imports more desireable for US buyers, including the use of fancy nickel damascened plates that were starting to be popular with the US makers and buyers in the mid-1870's. And I think his success with these products led him to break off from Longines (the family business started by his grandfather, Auguste Aggasiz in 1832, and subsequently run by his cousin, Ernest Francillion) and start the Aggasiz Watch Co. in 1876. I have these Longines movement with "Geo. Aggasiz" in a similar fancy design on the top plate:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mvmt2.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	26.6 KB 
ID:	349415   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Geo_Agassiz_mvmt.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	55.2 KB 
ID:	349416  
    Last edited by MartyR; 07-08-2017 at 04:26 PM. Reason: Removed full-size images
    Member Chapter 149

Default Re: Longines Information

Thanks to both of you... yes some similarities and I have heard the connection of Longines & Agassiz.. The Longines has the familiar separate 2 pivot bridge, seen on most Longines examples..significant difference in the top plate design...

Hi John, yes, I didn't mean to imply that my examples were the same model or grade as those you and Ray show below - I meant only the styling, ie, made to look less continental, with "named" grades using company officer names, two-color (gold-silver) finish on damascened nickel plates, and fancy engraving.
    Member Chapter 149

Registered user.

Default Re: Longines Information (By: Dave Chaplain)

16D caliber produced in 1870 16 lines of 36 mm diameter, 15 rubies including 5 with screws. One of the last KW / KS calibers
    regards enrico

Default Re: Longines Information (By: eri231)

Thanks Enrico ! You always have a wealth of knowledge pertaining to European Watch movements.. Would you have an idea if this was a large production movement or not.. It appears to be well finished ..

More from the internet, translated from German ...

The Longines caliber 16D is one of the first early calibers since the move to the new factory building.

Hans Weil from Berlin: "This caliber was offered by the American company AIKIN, Lambert & Co. from New York, Maiden Lane 23, which existed before 1860. In addition to jewels and watches, this company offered Gold Pens [of their] own production and later the first Fountain Pens. AIKIN, Lambert & Co. still exist in the USA under the brand name ALCO ".
    Member Chapter 149

Really Cool info Dave... Thanks !! Longines moved to a new factory approx 1870 ?

Hi John, most sources list the date of the "new factory" as 1867.
    Member Chapter 149

Registered user.

Default Re: Longines Information (By: eri231)

Thank you Enrico! I'd heard of that document but had not found and read it. It's a great read, it fixes some of my assumptions, and makes more clear the relationship between Georges Agassiz and Longines and the context of their split!
    Member Chapter 149

Agreed !! Very interesting and though document that appears quite factual.. Beside the Agassiz Longines family history a great insight to the Swiss watchmaking evolution.. The machine made watch and how
    the American Watchmaking industry influenced the Swiss to a large degree..

Thanks Enrico !! Learned a Lot this morning..