Goal: $300, Received: $20.00 (7%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Servicing your own clocks (By: novicetimekeeper)

I guess i am from the old school, i prefer to repair before the repairs get too extensive. Like the old Fram oil filter commercials. You can pay me now, or pay me later
    One clock at a time. Kevin West
    http://www.global-horology.com/GHMB/

Default Re: Servicing your own clocks (By: kinsler33)

If the clock is not running and/or is unknown to me then I want it to come apart and be cleaned, pivots inspected etc before oiling. If the clock is one of mine or one I have previously serviced I may just oil it IF there is no "pivot poop" and the movement looks clean inside (no dust accumulation etc). I would no recommend just oiling the accessible pivots. Especially for modern clocks, follow the maker's instructions. The oils of yesterday turn to goo sooner than modern oil so it is probably ok to cheat a bit on vintage instructions and older texts.

RC

Quote Originally Posted by novicetimekeeper View Post
    I have an 18th century waywiser with helical gears, but I agree, I haven't seen them in a clock.
    There is a series of skeleton clocks using helical gearing, the name MacDowall being associated with them. There is a photo of one here http://www.my-time-machines.net/macdowall_detail.htm and others can be found on the net. As explained in the text below the linked image, it would appear these clocks were made this way simply because they looked different (and in the format of skeleton clocks this can be seen and appreciated), rather than for any performance reasons....

I don't run the ones I restore for my collection
    R&A it is what it is

Default Re: Servicing your own clocks (By: R&A)

Quote Originally Posted by R&A View Post
    I don't run the ones I restore for my collection
    I don't have them all running, only 8 at the moment.
    Nick, lots to learn, late starter.

An interesting thread. As I begin to acquire more clocks all the time, I am going to start a log book with a description, my best assessment of it's age/history and maintenance of each one to help me with the cycle. Another purpose of the log book could be a type of roadmap of each clock's history so that when I pass and they end up with family members, they will have an idea of each clock's history. Thanks for the suggestion.

Default Re: Servicing your own clocks (By: woodlawndon)

Quote Originally Posted by woodlawndon View Post
    An interesting thread. As I begin to acquire more clocks all the time, I am going to start a log book with a description, my best assessment of it's age/history and maintenance of each one to help me with the cycle. Another purpose of the log book could be a type of roadmap of each clock's history so that when I pass and they end up with family members, they will have an idea of each clock's history. Thanks for the suggestion.

it might be the web equivalent of 'when you have a hammer, everything looks like a nail', but as a web guy i've created a folder on my computer called 'clocks'... with one folder for each of my clocks, named appropriately and containing original seller images, my photos after cleaning/servicing, info (pdfs from nawcc, etc.) and notes about each one... all in one handy location.

another advantage is that while i didn't follow in my father's footsteps and become a doctor, i did inherit his handwriting... my executors will thank me for doing this task on the 'puter instead of leaving a written log! 8-)

and, of course, backups of the info are part of my regular off-site backups... which means there are multiple copies out there, just in case.
    i collect antique clocks because i get all that extra time...

Default Re: Servicing your own clocks (By: bruce linde)

I should do this, otherwise I'm going to leave a lot of complications behind. When a clock is not together I do write on all parts with a marker the maker of the clock.

Quote Originally Posted by bruce linde View Post
    it might be the web equivalent of 'when you have a hammer, everything looks like a nail', but as a web guy i've created a folder on my computer called 'clocks'... with one folder for each of my clocks, named appropriately and containing original seller images, my photos after cleaning/servicing, info (pdfs from nawcc, etc.) and notes about each one... all in one handy location.

another advantage is that while i didn't follow in my father's footsteps and become a doctor, i did inherit his handwriting... my executors will thank me for doing this task on the 'puter instead of leaving a written log! 8-)

and, of course, backups of the info are part of my regular off-site backups... which means there are multiple copies out there, just in case.
    Touche, you're right, computerizing would be better. I could absolutely do that, but I do know myself and I wouldn't have as robust a back-up system as you. I might originally but I bet in 20 years when it would have to be found, it wouldn't be. My old job involved using handwritten logbooks for as long as I can remember so it won't be onerous. And having relatives review the yellowing pages with my scratchings might be fun for them, wine stains and all

Am I the only one who keeps his computer password private? I don't want my family digging around in my files when I'm gone. I like the pamphlet idea.
    A man with a clock always knows the time. A man with two clocks is never sure.

Default Re: Servicing your own clocks (By: shutterbug)

Quote Originally Posted by shutterbug View Post
    Am I the only one who keeps his computer password private? I don't want my family digging around in my files when I'm gone. I like the pamphlet idea.

sb -

my devices are all password-protected... but as a webmaster, i have information that many of my clients will have lost. if/when i go, it would probably be nice of me to leave my executors my password, just in case... they're already going to get my clocks so i can't be any more upset about the turn of events. 8-)

but... i do have a few password-protected disks/folders/apps that will disappear when i do.
    i collect antique clocks because i get all that extra time...

but... i do have a few password-protected disks/folders/apps that will disappear when i do.
    LOL - so you get it. I have an encrypted, password protected area on my hard drive that I can store stuff in. That will be the place for the stuff I don't want prying eyes to find, I guess.
    A man with a clock always knows the time. A man with two clocks is never sure.

Default Re: Servicing your own clocks (By: shutterbug)

I clearly live a very sheltered and boring life, I don't have a need for such a secret folder

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by woodlawndon View Post
    I am toying with the idea of making my personal clock "database" website more open to other users (on their own link for their own clocks), even users with limited computer skills. But if you can post here, you could post your clocks and info, so not that onerous.

www.rovdoc.com/clocks

I also have hidden information regarding the prices I paid and received and for parts costs, both itemized and totals. So it is sort of my complete clock database other than the drawings I make of the movements when servicing (which I could scan and post if I ever got around to that). It's also nice for sharing your clocks with others.

If interested, reply or PM me. I'm not selling anything, just trying to gauge interest, and I like developing web applications when I'm not working on clocks.

Nick - I would offer you a secret code name just so you don't feel left out.

Tom

Default Re: Servicing your own clocks

Tom,
    You've been busy on "Craig's List" haven't you?
    Nice collection you've started there.
    Keep having fun!
    Bruce