Goal: $300, Received: $55.00 (18%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Seth Thomas Adamantine help

It may well be out of beat. Do you know how to put a clock in beat? If not, go to the beginning of the forum, click on Clock Repair, then choose the 'How to do it' section near the top, then scroll down to the topic 'Beat Setting 101' as you will find easy instructions.

Hope this will help you.

JTD

PS I see that a link to the site has automatically appeared in my message, so you can click on that and go straight to the beat setting instructions.

Default Re: Seth Thomas Adamantine help (By: JTD)

Also a video of the movement running would help us diagnose it better. Post to Youtube and link to it here.
    A man with a clock always knows the time. A man with two clocks is never sure.

Default Re: Seth Thomas Adamantine help (By: shutterbug)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGuD...ature=youtu.be

Here is a you tube video of my clock movement. Maybe it will help diagnose the problem. ticks when no weight is added. stops when weight is applied.
    thanks !

Default Re: Seth Thomas Adamantine help (By: David Dikun)

Your video can't be accessed - it says it's private.

JTD

Once you're sure that your video can be accessed by the public, try using the "Insert Video" link. It's the icon that looks like film at the top of your reply form.

Default Re: Seth Thomas Adamantine help (By: Time After Time)

Well, it's definitely out of beat. It's easy to hear that much in the 2-3 beats you recorded with the pendulum bob in place. Did you look over the Beat Setting Link? If not see this link and let us know if you have any questions: http://mb.nawcc.org/showwiki.php?title=Beat_Setting_101
    Last edited by Time After Time; 07-17-2017 at 01:57 PM. Reason: Add link

Here's another video link that you might find helpful too:

Registered user.

It is often that a new person will take the pendulum off
    a recoil clock and then show how it runs fine without the pendulum.
    I can only say that doing this only tells you that all the wheels
    are there and mostly aligned close to the desired location.
    It is usually useless as an indication as to whether the
    clock will run with the pendulum bob attached.
    As was noted, It sounds like you need to get the beat set.
    A clock this far out of beat doesn't stand a chance.
    It may still have other issues but fix the obvious first.
    I do wish you'd shown it swinging a couple times more
    with the bob on. The running without the bob is wasted
    video time.
    Also, the beat should be adjusted in the clock case. The
    mounting is not always perfectly straight. The beat setting
    has to match how it will be in the case.
    Tinker Dwight

Tinker brings up a very good point about transferring the movement from a stand (in your case, the bench) to the clock case. My thoughts were that if you can get it in beat on your bench, you should be able to repeat the process (or fine tune your adjustments) once you reassemble the clock. Putting a clock completely back together can sometimes be more challenging than putting a movement back together. It's often the small things that trip you up.

I suggest that you just try to elevate one side of the movement, then the other as the Video details. Use some coins (or similar) as shims. Be sure that nothing interferes with the free swing of the pendulum. If you can get the movement running by just doing that, don't bend the crutch. Reassemble the clock and make your adjustments (as per the video) with the clock case leveled. You might have to put shims under the feet of the clock to do so. I've sometimes shimmed between the case and one or more of the feet for a more permanent "fix". It's important to get things level so that you adjust the center of the beat with the center of the pendulum swing. The Crutch loop has to be appropriately adjusted too. The pendulum rod should pass freely through the middle of a loop formed by the crutch wire. The rod should fit closely to the sides of the loop, but it must not bind in any part of the loop.

(Image "borrowed" from Bill Stoddard's website ClockInfo.com about 7 years ago)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	escapement.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	25.3 KB 
ID:	350507  
    Last edited by Time After Time; 07-18-2017 at 11:15 AM.

Default Re: Seth Thomas Adamantine help (By: Tinker Dwight)

thank you all,
    my apologies, I am new person to clocks

Quote Originally Posted by David Dikun View Post
    thank you all,
    Welcome to the MB David. No apologies needed. We've all been where you are. We can help but only by pointing you in the right direction. Let us know if you have any questions about setting the beat.

Registered user.

Beat setting is very sensitive. Recoil escapements like you have are
    a little more forgiving than deadbeats.
    I use playing cards as shims.
    One can often hear the difference of one or two card thickneses
    when determining the amount off beat it is.
    Follow the instructions.
    Tinker Dwight

Registered user.

Quote Originally Posted by David Dikun View Post
    thank you all,
    Don't be afraid. We try to not beat around the bush so
    we are often blunt. The important part is that
    you make progress.
    Tinker Dwight

Default Re: Seth Thomas Adamantine help (By: Tinker Dwight)

There is one more thing that perhaps should be mentioned. For a "new person to clocks" setting the beat 'by ear' can sometimes be challenging if the drops off of each pallet are not the same. When the clock is "in beat" the pendulum moves the same distance left and right of the resting center before the escapement releases a tooth on the escape wheel. When the drops are equal and the clock is in beat the escape wheel advances the same amount on the "tick" and the "tock". However if the drops are not equal the resulting sound - either the tick or the tock being louder and the escape wheel advancing a greater amount - the clock can sound like it is out of beat. Step one should be to adjust the escapement so the drops are more or less equal and then put it in beat. Recoil escapements often come to us with incorrect angles and unequal drops.

It has often been said to move the verge as close to the escape wheel as possible and have it not bind. This frequently will result in uneven drops. Changing the verge to escape wheel distance will affect the drop off of one pallet more than the other. Rather than as close as possible, the verge should be positioned where the drops are close to equal. If more over-swing is desired (less drop and more lock) then the pallet spacing and angles should be adjusted and the verge repositioned for equal drops. This can be challenging for anyone and is seldom ever perfect in a recoil escapement, nor does it need to be for the clock to run, but the sound will be more pleasant and even and setting the beat 'by ear' will be easier.

RC