Goal: $300, Received: $55.00 (18%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Default Re: what is your pet peeve about describing pocket watches? (By: Jeff Hess)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6656.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	137.9 KB 
ID:	348869Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6661.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	58.0 KB 
ID:	348870Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6663.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	59.0 KB 
ID:	348871
    His soul swooned slowly as he heard the snow falling faintly through the universe and faintly falling, like the descent of their last end, upon all the living and the dead.

Default Re: what is your pet peeve about describing pocket watches? (By: ben_hutcherson)

The term "Victorian" used to describe a clock known to be from 1912
    Eleven years after Queen Victoria died

Default Re: what is your pet peeve about describing pocket watches? (By: Les harland)

I am a complete novice but I have spent many hours on Ebay. So far, "rare", "scarce" and "runs but not tested" are ones that make me shake my head.
    Another one is "runs at the time of this posting". That doesn't give me any confidence in the watch or the seller. Mostly the seller.

This is more of an observation. I have noticed that a pocket watch will sell, only to be reposted an hour later, or ten minutes later, or even a week later. One seller told me it was because a buyer never paid, which could be true but when I see it often, that causes me concern.

I thought buying pocket watches would be less stressful.

Blog Entries

Default Re: what is your pet peeve about describing pocket watches? (By: ben_hutcherson)

Ezra Fitch had a patent for a sprung double bezel open face case. It looks exactly like what one often sees with a cut hunter case. However, the inner bezel and crystal are arranged so that the crystal looks like it is in the outer bezel when that piece is closed. When you push on the crown the outer bezel pops open and the lever is exposed for setting the watch. The inner bezel and crystal remain in place. My example holds a nice late 1872 American Watch Co. Grade open face movement.
    Tom McIntyre Click me.
    If you don't learn to laugh at trouble,
    you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old.
    Will Rogers

Default Re: what is your pet peeve about describing pocket watches? (By: RandyF)

Quote Originally Posted by RandyF View Post
    I am a complete novice but I have spent many hours on Ebay. So far, "rare", "scarce" and "runs but not tested" are ones that make me shake my head.
    Another one is "runs at the time of this posting". That doesn't give me any confidence in the watch or the seller. Mostly the seller.

This is more of an observation. I have noticed that a pocket watch will sell, only to be reposted an hour later, or ten minutes later, or even a week later. One seller told me it was because a buyer never paid, which could be true but when I see it often, that causes me concern.

I thought buying pocket watches would be less stressful.
    ----------

eBay is considering stopping their auction business. And that is one reason. Non Paying bidders. This is NOT an evaluation... just an observation...it did NOT sell. But get this. We bought a rare clock watch for 9500. we let it go with no reserve. it went for 21k about the price the only other one we could fins sold for at Antiquorum. Buyer did not pay for it. we let it go again, no reserve..it went for 15k. buyer didn't pay. then it went for 12k. then after THAT guy did not pay we let it go again. it went for 7900. and THANK GOODNESS THAT guy did not pay. We put it back in our vault. not for sale now.

my wife runs our ebay business and she says things that go higher than 2k esp Rolexes have a 20 to 23 % non pying bidde rate.
    Jeffrey P. Hess, collector, historian, writer, CEO Ball WATCH USA

Default Re: what is your pet peeve about describing pocket watches? (By: Jeff Hess)

A sale is only a sale when it's paid for...

I believe I have also been "victim" of "sellers remorse" a few times... a watch only makes (or looks like making) its opening bid or just above, and then mysteriously the sale is withdrawn or cancelled, due to "an error in the listing" or "item no longer available".

Default Re: what is your pet peeve about describing pocket watches? (By: topspin)

Topspin I have put in a legitimate bid and had my bid cancelled by the seller obviously because they intended to get a lot more for the watch.
    My argument was not only was my bid legitimate, but they failed to place a reserve value on the item, Their fault!
    Sorry to the original poster for "hijacking your post" for my rant...
    Dave.

Default Re: what is your pet peeve about describing pocket watches? (By: PWfanatik)

My major peeve is getting a watch were the "watch repairer" has dumped the dust band because they're just too lazy or can't be arsed to refit it and remove it next time they work on it. Also the practice of them scratching service marks on the case! Some of my 150 year old watches don't have any service marks and if either of the two things I mentioned were to happen I would sue them. To me its tantamount to fraud and criminal damage.

Default Re: what is your pet peeve about describing pocket watches? (By: rolandantrobus)

Describing a movement as "running strong". After 28 years I still don't like that term.

Default Re: what is your pet peeve about describing pocket watches? (By: Paul Raposo)

My pet peeve is having to describe them with the detail of a legal brief in a multi-million dollar lawsuit.

Default Re: what is your pet peeve about describing pocket watches? (By: Greg Frauenhoff)

"It wants to run" always gives me a chuckle.

I have also seen "She wants to run", which begs the question (apologies to the OP) does a watch have a gender?

It does not seem a sin, after having said a few words at your retirement party (and after having thanked your wife & family), to have pulled out your railway watch and said, "I'd like to thank the old girl for 40 years of reliability and companionship".

Default Re: what is your pet peeve about describing pocket watches?

This is a different peeve...

Today I got a nice pocket watch in the mail in a small USPS priority
    box. The watch was basically loose in the box
    sliding around. No bubble wrap, or tissue, or
    foam peanuts. It was wrapped in a piece of paper.
    Another time I had a watch sent to me loose
    in a large padded envelope(very thin padding).

When I send a watch to someone I wrap it like it's
    going to be dropped, and banged around. I always
    use a box(and a lot of bubble wrap).

Rob

Default Re: what is your pet peeve about describing pocket watches? (By: musicguy)

Reminds me of the time I bought a beautiful Yale & Towne timelock for nearly $1000. Original etched glass. Yep, you guessed it. Just loose in a Priority Mail flat rate box. No packing at all. Needless to say, that once beautiful glass was in a million pieces. To top it off, the seller blamed me for breaking it when I unpacked it!!! At least they had the sense to insure it and USPS did cover it.

This does happen fairly often with watches. You've got to wonder what some people are thinking. What happened to common sense?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hess View Post
    ----------

eBay is considering stopping their auction business
    . Thank goodness! As to the pet peeves, why don't we, the NAWCC, throw all the convoluted nomenclature out and start over? Unfortunately, I like "cuvette" (it just sounds better than dust lid).-Cort

Default Re: what is your pet peeve about describing pocket watches? (By: 4thdimension)

We are talking about non professional sellers here I think, but auction house experts are getting just as bad.

I was looking at a clock yesterday which the auction house had described as a 12 hour clock with fixed half hour hand attached to hour hand.

It was a single handed 30 hour longcase with the usual tail on the hour hand to aid in setting.
    Last edited by novicetimekeeper; 07-06-2017 at 12:14 AM.
    Nick, lots to learn, late starter.