Goal: $300, Received: $20.00 (7%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Default Re: what is your pet peeve about describing pocket watches? (By: Jeff Hess)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hess View Post
    what the heck is a double hunter?
    Describes a watch where both the front and back covers swing open. Single hunter describes a watch where only the front cover opens. Very, very common anywhere outside of antique American PWs.

Default Re: what is your pet peeve about describing pocket watches?

Most people that I show any of my pocket watches to
    judge them by their dial, and their case(and name if they recognize it).
    They don't care about the movement.

Rob

Default Re: what is your pet peeve about describing pocket watches? (By: musicguy)

I've always understood a half hunter to be a hunter style with a small window in the outer cover to see the middle of the dial.

If you don't like the use of the word cuvette I'm surprised the use of demi is acceptable. However given the contribution of the French and French Swiss to Horology I don't see a problem with using their vocabulary as well as English.
    Nick, lots to learn, late starter.

Default Re: what is your pet peeve about describing pocket watches? (By: novicetimekeeper)

I don't like cuvette either - and can I add "savonette" to the peeves list?
    It's a pocket watch, not a bar of soap. There's a difference - a bar of soap is *designed* to be dropped!

Blog Entries

Default Re: what is your pet peeve about describing pocket watches? (By: topspin)

Quote Originally Posted by topspin View Post
    Describes a watch where both the front and back covers swing open. Single hunter describes a watch where only the front cover opens. Very, very common anywhere outside of antique American PWs.
    I have yet to see the term double hunter used by any major auction house. All the English watch references I have seen say open face and hunting case, which are also the proper terms in American watches.

Where it gets a bit iffy is when people are referring to key wind watches where open face has no real meaning in terms of the watch mechanism. A hunting case and an open face case are still needed to describe the watch when it is in a case.

Of course, the complete vocabulary needs to include the demi-hunter and various specialty dials and convertible cases as well as pair case, consular case, etc for earlier styles that are rarely if ever used today.
    Tom McIntyre Click me.
    If you don't learn to laugh at trouble,
    you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old.
    Will Rogers

Smile Re: what is your pet peeve about describing pocket watches?

Quote Originally Posted by novicetimekeeper View Post
    I've always understood a half hunter to be a hunter style with a small window in the outer cover to see the middle of the dial. ...
    Yes, that is the correct use of the term 'half hunter'. It's the use of the term by sellers to refer to an open-face, hinged back and bezel case that irks me.

... If you don't like the use of the word cuvette I'm surprised the use of demi is acceptable. ...
    I'm not the one who objected to the use of the term 'cuvette', that was somebody else. I frequently use the term.

The term 'demi-hunter' was used by (at least one) U.S. case maker, inter-changeably with 'half hunter, see the ad (below).

Kent
    That guy down in Georgia

Default Re: what is your pet peeve about describing pocket watches? (By: Kent)

"Early" used to describe a pocket watch made when the company had been in business at least 20 years.

Default Re: what is your pet peeve about describing pocket watches? (By: Tom McIntyre)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom McIntyre View Post
    Of course, the complete vocabulary needs to include the demi-hunter and various specialty dials and convertible cases as well as pair case, consular case, etc for earlier styles that are rarely if ever used today.
    In listing the complete vocab, let's not forget "marriage watch" or whatever term best describes an American PW movement recased by the finest Ukrainian craftsmen as a wristwatch...

Default Re: what is your pet peeve about describing pocket watches? (By: Kent)

Quote Originally Posted by Kent View Post

The term 'demi-hunter' was used by (at least one) U.S. case maker, inter-changeably with 'half hunter, see the ad (below).
    Demi is French for half
    I prefer to use half half hunter

Default Re: what is your pet peeve about describing pocket watches? (By: Les harland)

What annoys me about some descriptions of watches on ebay is terms like "stunning" or "superb" when the photos show broken hinges, missing hands and/or glass etc, etc. It makes the whole description worthless.

Default Re: what is your pet peeve about describing pocket watches? (By: rolandantrobus)

I had a Waltham that was open face and had the crown in the 3 o'clock position and it had a double cover on the back (one cover to reveal a photo and the other inside that to reveal the movement)...
    What term should be used for such a watch?
    Dave.

Default Re: what is your pet peeve about describing pocket watches? (By: PWfanatik)

Dave, they call those sidewinders! As the movement probably was initially in a hunter case, or that was what that movement was designed for. Brad Maisto, just my two cents.

Default Re: what is your pet peeve about describing pocket watches? (By: PWfanatik)

Early as a term seems to have become almost meaningless. You see it with longcase a lot, 1830s clocks describes as early, a full 150 years after that term should be used.
    Nick, lots to learn, late starter.

Quote Originally Posted by PWfanatik View Post
    I had a Waltham that was open face and had the crown in the 3 o'clock position and it had a double cover on the back (one cover to reveal a photo and the other inside that to reveal the movement)...
    What term should be used for such a watch?
    Dave.
    Is it a recase or is the front cover missing?

Default Re: what is your pet peeve about describing pocket watches? (By: Les harland)

Quote Originally Posted by Les harland View Post
    Is it a recase or is the front cover missing?
    Recases are far more common, although I've also seen "cut hunters."

Some "cut hunters" are nicely done while others look like a hack job.