Goal: $300, Received: $20.00 (7%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Default what is your pet peeve about describing pocket watches?

I have many but the two that bugg me the most are "clock face" to describe a "watch dial" and the term "cuvette" (especially with american watches) a Swiss-French word. We have a perfecly good American English word.. "Dust Cover".

And I have always wondered about the word "Geneva Stripes" when talking about normal stright ine damaskeening.

Yours?

Jeff
    Jeffrey P. Hess, collector, historian, writer, CEO Ball WATCH USA

Lightbulb Re: what is your pet peeve about describing pocket watches? (By: Jeff Hess)

Use of the words 'scarce' or 'rare'.
    Kent
    That guy down in Georgia

Default Re: what is your pet peeve about describing pocket watches? (By: Kent)

Quote Originally Posted by Kent View Post
    Use of the words 'scarce' or 'rare'.
    I second this one.

I am also bothered when watches are described as having a "low serial number" when they do not.

Default Re: what is your pet peeve about describing pocket watches? (By: TimeAntiquarian)

"Double hunter"

Default Re: what is your pet peeve about describing pocket watches? (By: GeneJockey)

Use of the term "mint" to describe a watch.

Tom

Default Re: what is your pet peeve about describing pocket watches? (By: Tom Huber)

Calling everything "rare". I've also seen "high grade" misused in the same way.
    I' feel sure that at least 90% of the time, "untested" is a lie (the truth being "tested and failed".)

But "double hunter" is fine by me :-)

Default Re: what is your pet peeve about describing pocket watches? (By: topspin)

"Railroad" applied to any open face pocket watch, even 12s with metal dials and stylized numerals.

Default Re: what is your pet peeve about describing pocket watches? (By: GeneJockey)

what the heck is a double hunter?

(and while agree with most above....I do see some wiggle room in the word "rare" which is indeed annoying...such a contentious word though....and i am guilty of using "mint" and have never figured out why so many people hate that word.. "mint is a candy you idiot" is typical of notes I get when I use that word. but it is an economy of scale word.(ok you know wht I mean..)

Default Re: what is your pet peeve about describing pocket watches? (By: Jeff Hess)

I have to admit to calling it the cuvette in preference to the American "dust cover." With that said, I do get irritated with applying French words to complications on American watches.

I don't like mint, rare/scarce(unless it truly is), and "brassing." I've also seen a lot of what I'd call weasel words cropping up on Ebay to describe condition. "Flea bites" on the dial and "pressure marks" on the case. Please just call them what they are-chips and dents.

Default Re: what is your pet peeve about describing pocket watches? (By: ben_hutcherson)

Simply put: The over use of the term "Railroad"
    Dave.

Default Re: what is your pet peeve about describing pocket watches? (By: PWfanatik)

I always get a kick out of the listings that say "Ultra-rare!", when there are 3-4 of the same model on Ebay at any given moment, especially when I know there were tens of thousands sold.

"Self-winding" applied to a manual wind watch. I guess you wind it yourself ?

"Overwound"

"Patina", when you really mean 'dirt' - there's a difference.

.................as well as when someone who use's the case # instead of the movement
    as the serial number.

Rob

Default Re: what is your pet peeve about describing pocket watches? (By: musicguy)

Quote Originally Posted by musicguy View Post
    .................as well as when someone who use's the case # instead of the movement
    as the serial number.

Rob
    Ignoring the letter prefix in the serial number in a post 1945 Elgin, so that they think it was made before 1880.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneJockey View Post
    Ignoring the letter prefix in the serial number in a post 1945 Elgin, so that they think it was made before 1880.
    i cringe when I see (and my own staff has done it) a keystone howard fromt he thirties and they say 1872 or something..

Lightbulb Re: what is your pet peeve about describing pocket watches?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hess View Post
    what the heck is a double hunter? ...
    I've noticed the increased use of the terms 'half-hunter' (a hinged back & bezel case - not a demi-hunter) and 'full hunter' or 'double-hunter' (a hunter case) over the last several years.

I think that a small group of sellers started using the terms (for whatever reasons) and that ignorant sellers picked up the terms and started using them themselves.

Oh ... I thought of something else that bothers me when used, especially by sellers who list a lot of watches: "I am not a watch expert" or "I am not a watch guy"
    Kent
    That guy down in Georgia