Goal: $300, Received: $55.00 (18%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Getting To Know You (By: Kevin W.)

Hi, All,

Again, just a short note to share my appreciation with all who have posted. So far, it seems we have a wonderfully esoteric core group of contributors surrounded by many with mixed interests. A huge variety of likes and hobbies! This mixture makes for rich discussion and learning for us all! Keep up the contributions-they are fascinating!!!

All my best,

George
    Time is a great story teller... Irish Proverb

Default Re: Getting To Know You (By: George Nelson)

Quote Originally Posted by George Nelson View Post
    Hi, All,

Again, just a short note to share my appreciation with all who have posted. So far, it seems we have a wonderfully esoteric core group of contributors surrounded by many with mixed interests. A huge variety of likes and hobbies! This mixture makes for rich discussion and learning for us all! Keep up the contributions-they are fascinating!!!

All my best,

George
    I agree George. This a great thread!

Ron

Default Re: Getting To Know You (By: Rockin Ronnie)

Hi, My real name is Ray. When I joined the MB I tried various combinations of Ray for username but to many were already used, I did however have a newly acquired Gilbert clock,sooooooo,,,,,

I am 67, retired after 45 + years of being a computer nerd at an insurance company. Married with 3 daughters , all grown.
    I have always had a somewhat buried interest in mechanical things and clocks fit right in.
    Born and raised in Connecticut but some how managed to miss the history of clock making here for most of my life.
    The ticking of a clock, the heartbeat of time

Default Re: Getting To Know You

This is a fun thread. I really enjoyed reading the replies.

Clocks have fascinated me since childhood. I used to take them apart, so I could see how they work and play with the gears. My interest in clock making started in grade 9. I used to pass a clock shop on the way to school. Sometimes I would think about the trade and how to get into it. It wasn't until 2.5 years ago that I decided to look into it as a possible career. At that time I was really discouraged about the direction my life was taking and was unemployed. I contacted the local NAWCC chapter and was referred to their 'education and workshop chairman'. We exchanged emails and met a few times to work on a few clocks. At the end of the summer he offered to train me. I accepted and have been working with him for nearly two years 2 or 3 days a week. Besides working at the bench I assist him with his classes and his articles.

My apprenticeship has profoundly changed my life. Everyone from family to friends has noticed. It has given me confidence and has allowed me to grow into the person I am today, all because the work fits my strengths and interests. It challenges me and fulfills my perpetual need to learn. It has also introduced me to mechanical engineering and machining, which I discovered I have talent for and really enjoy.

I'm originally from a small First Nations community in northern Quebec. I moved to Ottawa in the 1990s for high school and decided to make the city my home. I enjoy drawing, reading, music and mycology (picking and identifying mushrooms). I'm returning to school this fall to study manufacturing engineering. I hope to work as a professional machinist one day and repair clocks to augment my income.

My user name Piisimuhkhaan is the Cree word for clock.

Andrea Dawn.

P.S. When I first joined the club, the guys were intimidating. I am no longer bothered by them.
    Andrea D. Gilpin

Default Re: Getting To Know You (By: Piisimuhkaan)

Andrea,

Just a very short note to tell you how much I appreciated your posting! Quite a pleasant read. Thanks so very much. Also, glad to see you are not intimidated by us guys-we need more women posting on the boards!

All my best,

George Nelson

Here's a recent picture:

Guess no one is surprised?

RM
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	headless man arbus.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	115.6 KB 
ID:	349479  

Blog Entries

Default Re: Getting To Know You (By: rmarkowitz1_cee4a1)

Quote Originally Posted by rmarkowitz1_cee4a1 View Post
    Here's a recent picture:

Guess no one is surprised?

RM
    If I were you RM, I'd be looking for a new Barber
    Cheers
    Peter R Lee: AKA (Pee-Tah) from Australia

Default Re: Getting To Know You (By: leeinv66)

Quote Originally Posted by leeinv66 View Post
    If I were you RM, I'd be looking for a new Barber
    LOL!

And I just asked for a little off the top!

Sorry, but I'm just the proverbial class clown from way back.

Some things won't change.

RM

RM,

A stunning portrait! Well photographed- sensitive and also quite revealing! It's nice to know that there are photographers out there that are able to capture the true personalities of their subjects.

George

Default Re: Getting To Know You (By: George Nelson)

Quote Originally Posted by George Nelson View Post
    RM,

A stunning portrait! Well photographed- sensitive and also quite revealing! It's nice to know that there are photographers out there that are able to capture the true personalities of their subjects.

George
    Does it make me look fat? They say the camera adds 10 pounds?

RM

No, RM. Not fat, just 'complicated'...

George

Registered User Douglas Ballard's Avatar

My name is Doug Ballard, I live in Alma, Michigan with my wife of 30 years. We have four grown children and eight grandchildren, three West Highland Terriers and a cat. I currently work for our County Government as an Information Technology person. There are only two in our department so I normally stay busy fixing computers and network problems. I am 65 years of age and plan on retiring in December of 2017. I have worked this job for 16 years after retiring from the Michigan State Police as a police officer for 26 years.

As a teenager I recall my father building a grandmother clock case for a movement he had purchased (new at the time). When he passed away I inherited the clock and wanted to learn more about it so began searching the Internet, which is how I came across this message board. I bought many of the text books recommended here and began studying. I bought my first black mantel, an Ingraham, about four years ago and now own over 40 clocks of all types. My wife has be very (well sort of) patient with all the clocks that have come in to the house, however I think I've reached my limit!

The patience and knowledge displayed on this board has helped me tremendously and enhanced my love of clocks and fixing them. I have my own computer repair shop, work there in the evening, and have picked up six or so clock repairs from people who bring computers in and see all the clocks I have displayed (in addition to the ones in the house). There are no clock smiths in our area so people are happy to find someone who can get a family heirloom running again. I can't do extensive repairs but can do a break down and cleaning on most clocks brought to me. When I "really retire" I plan on devoting more time to clock mechanism and case restoration.

Name:	me.PNG 
Views:	159 
Size:	63.4 KB 
ID:	349668  
    TEMPVS RERVM IMPERATOR

Quote Originally Posted by rmarkowitz1_cee4a1 View Post
    Does it make me look fat? They say the camera adds 10 pounds? RM

rm -

now you're just being disingenuous... you know your photographer already photoshopped you to look slimmer. here's the original photo, for those interested.

Name:	rm.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	174.2 KB 
ID:	349674  
    i collect antique clocks because i get all that extra time...

Default Re: Getting To Know You (By: bruce linde)

Quote Originally Posted by bruce linde View Post
    rm -

now you're just being disingenuous... you know your photographer already photoshopped you to look slimmer. here's the original photo, for those interested.

Nice work. That's really funny!!

RM

RM,

Looks like you're deep in thought contemplating "String Theory", yes?