Goal: $300, Received: $55.00 (18%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Getting To Know You (By: The Treasured Clock)

Richard Cross here, age 64, spend most of my time with pocket watches. Started collecting in 2006 and now have more watches than anyone could possibly need. I have 2 400 day clocks, 1 Welch ogee, a Marti mantle clock with candelabras from 1885, a Hamburg-American clock, a ships bell clock and a few mid century wind up alarm clocks along with a modern Verichron Westminster chime clock. I have two Sessions clocks apart waiting for the money for tools and materials to re-bush them, need a couple of mainsprings and a kick in the butt to fix them, both had the time mainspring break shortly after purchase. I am a former auto mechanic, 31 years and now am an automotive warranty inspector for the last 17 years. No clue when I can retire, here in the USA prices for everything seem to go up exponentially every year making retirement harder and harder. Married for 25 years to my present wife, have 4 step children one who just had a liver transplant, almost 5 grandchildren (next one due in October), a cat, 2 grand dogs. Love drag racing, NASCAR, baseball and play golf when I can even with torn rotator cuff, torn subscapular muscle and one torn and disconnected bicep muscle. Love your picture, Kevin. I don't have many of me as I am usually the photographer of the family. I have been the secretary of Chapter 142 in central NJ for the last 6 years. Also belong to Chapter 2 in NY. Great to hear from everyone.

Default Re: Getting To Know You (By: richiec)

Hi, All,

Just a short note of thanks to those who have participated in this thread so far. I find it to be most interesting, and I truly love to hear the behind the scenes stories of all of my friends on these boards. Please do keep the posts coming!

Gratefully,

George Nelson
    Time is a great story teller... Irish Proverb

Default Re: Getting To Know You

I am Wilburn Walker "Will" (use my initials, "WOW" as my name on the MB). I grew up in Baton Rouge, graduated from LSU in 1968 with a vocal music degree and then got a masters in church (choral) music in Texas. I have been a music/youth minister all my life. I retired in central Louisiana at age 64. I am now 72. I lost my dear wife of 48 years in 2014 after a terrible 10 month fight with leukemia. We literally lived at MD Anderson hospital from January 10 to November 10 when she passed away. I have since found a wonderful lady who's husband passed away many years ago also, and we have married and are very happy. She is a collector of antiques of all kinds, a rockhound, a jewelry maker, and loves my clocks.
    I began my interest in clocks when in my teens because of a father who tinkered with them and repaired them for friends. My enthusiasm for clocks grew, and I joined NAWCC in the 1970's. Have "played" with clocks most of my life. I now repair clocks for people in my area. I am one of the only repairers in my area. I have too many clocks and many clock parts. My favorite task is restoring "basket case" clocks to original as possible condition.
    Reading this message board has been a huge help to me for years. The knowledge shared here is unbelievable. I am very thankful for those who do so.

Will Walker
    Will Walker (WOW)

Blog Entries

I brought my first clock at auction when I was 14. It was a sessions black mantle that was in pieces (including the movement) in a box. I played with the movement for weeks until I finally got it to run. After 42 years, the clock still takes pride of place on our lounge room mantle pieces. While it doesn't have much monetary value, it's sentimental value is immense.

If you can count, you will have worked out I am 56. I have been married for 32 years and have two daughters, a son and presently three grand children. I am a very lucky man as they all live within 15 minutes of where I live. To me, my family is my greatest achievement.

I gave up smoking back in 2014 (7:30am on 01/01/2014 to be precise ;-) and took up walking to get my lungs back into shape. Since then I have climbed 30 odd mountains and taken part in several half marathons. I hope to be at my bench for many years to come.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5827e56060652e64421f5b0e-e6e3hokrr7grpo2bj4i.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	265.1 KB 
ID:	348302
    Cheers
    Peter R Lee: AKA (Pee-Tah) from Australia

I call myself musicguy because one part of me, not the income earning part
    thinks he's a music artist. It seems that peoples concept of what a great
    watch or clock is, is just as subjective as the Music business. I'm what
    a horologist watch collector would call a 7j music artist
    I guess I'm not a high quality movement, maybe a Swiss fake, or
    maybe I just need a clean and oil and I'll function better.

My main interest is in American Pocket watches. They are beautiful in design
    and function. Elgin, Hamilton, and Illinois primarily.

I also collect Vintage Italian Motor scooters (Vespa, Lambretta), Art, Books, CD's, Albums,
    Ashanti gold weights, masks, old glass bottles, and many other esoteric things.

Rob
    Last edited by musicguy; 06-28-2017 at 09:24 AM.

My name is Dale Foust, and I live in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. I wasted most of my life in optical laboratories, making glass, plastic and bicarbonate lenses for eyeglasses. I'm a fair guitarist, a decent pool player and basically work part time at my clock repair business. About 4 hours a day is enough. I'm 67 years old, been happily married for almost 44 years, have one grown and married daughter who informs me that if I'd wanted grandchildren, I should have had more kids, and we have two cats and a snake in our home. I got into clock repair about 12 years ago when I couldn't stand my job any more and quit. I had been an enthusiast in clock repair as a hobby for some time, so it was an easy transition. My city is about 150,000 and there are only three reliable repairmen in the area. It keeps me busy enough to keep me active and out of trouble I had accumulated a pretty decent 401K account as a manager in the labs, so don't rely on the business as an income. I use it more for 'mad money' to support my collecting interests. I also am a licensed sign language interpreter, and do that to supplement the family income a bit. My wife and daughter are also interpreters, but they prefer to work in a large video interpreting service while I prefer the local doctors and hospitals. I've been able to see several different operations that way, which is interesting to me. If I had had the money for college, I would have pursued the medical field. I've also been a very serious student of the Bible for 40 some years, but we don't discuss those things here
    A man with a clock always knows the time. A man with two clocks is never sure.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Getting To Know You (By: shutterbug)

Nice to see this thread going. Good picture George, nice to see faces of the people on the mb.
    One clock at a time. Kevin West
    http://www.global-horology.com/GHMB/

Default Re: Getting To Know You (By: wow)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0688.JPG 
Views:	9 
Size:	436.9 KB 
ID:	348310I forgot a photo. Here's one of my wife, Sue, and I:
    Will Walker (WOW)

Registered user.

Default Re: Getting To Know You (By: wow)

I'm Dwight Elvey. I'm 69.9 years old. I wasn't named after
    president Dwight D. Eisenhower. I was named after an uncle
    that died when he was 22 years old.
    I work for one of those companies that makes microprocessors
    and design test structures for them. Most people don't realize
    that about 1.5-2% of the processor they buy has things in it
    that were only used, once, during manufacture test.
    I should retire but haven't found the time.
    I've always enjoyed mechanical things and got interested in
    clocks about 8 years ago.
    I enjoy figuing out puzzles. I dislexic and usually have to read
    my post 2 or 3 times ( sometimes more, I edited this post off line ).
    I've learned a lot from this MB and have a lot of fun trying
    to figure out problems with limited information.
    My picture is in the post I referenced and the only change I've
    noticed is whiter hair.
    Sometimes I get too wound up in correctness, when simple rules
    of thumb work in most cases.
    I try to admit to errors that I make and think that is about my only
    good social attibute.
    Tinker Dwight

Default Re: Getting To Know You (By: Tinker Dwight)

I am Richard Storer, born Jan. 6 1934, Quinter, KS. The first 9 years of my life was on the farm in Western Kansas. 1943 had us moving from the farm to Desoto, KS, near Kansas City. I joined the Navy Reserves in 1952 and went on active duty in the reserves in 1955. I retired from the Navy in 1974 with a total time of 22 years. I started working at a upscale jewelry store in Atlanta the next day, repairing watches. After 8 years I opened my own business, watches and clocks. Most of my repair business was clocks. I closed my business in 2008. Doing mostly nothing was pretty boring so I built a shop in my attic to repair clocks. So, here I am, still repairing clocks, although at a slower pace. Lately I have started making cases for old movements. Just time only movements for weight driven wall clocks. I purchased my first clock in 1965 and was able to get to run. I still get a lot of satisfaction making something useful after many years of neglect. The picture is when we did not look so old.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scan0004.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	94.8 KB 
ID:	348426  

Default Re: Getting To Know You (By: dickstorer)

I´m Burkhard Rasch as You know and I´ve just passed my 61st birthday,so retirement is not a theme right now.I allways liked to take things appart,therefor I work as a surgeon in a medium size county hospital in Lower Saxony (a northern region of Germany) When I entered surgery some 30years ago I recieved a generalistic education which offered a wide field of different jobs for me in the last three decades . Now my occupation is that of a deputy head of the department of trauma and orthopedic surgery in our 350 bed hospital.I do love my job and hope to fullfill it another 4 years.I´m married to my wife since 1994 and we have 3 kids,two selfmade and one adopted,that are in the process of leaving the "nest". We do love all animals,but chose cats as our pets,currently we have one lady cat only.
    I´m interested in many technical subjects starting with watches and clocks when I was 14,pipe organ building-a field I worked in before I started my medical studies -old cars and motorcycles, architecture and many more.My collection comprises originals from the late 1600s to recent reproductions with an accent on technical features and torsion clocks,and I´m a proud owner of two american wooden works clocks that I restored in the last years successfully with the help of the MB members
    I´m interested in music,especialy music before 1750,and we have two pianos and one harpsichord to practice,but I´m lacking the time to exercise,so my wife is way better than me,and with a broader taste of music than I have.But at least I hear music intensivly every morning when I drive to my clinic about half an hour in my old but spacious DB. I love reading late in the evening before we got to bed,especialy on historical subjects and biographies of famous men and women.
    A main reason to participate in this MB besides discussing horological questions was for me to improve my school-english and to keep alive the only foreign language I speek-besides Latin that I´ve learned but cannot speak.
    A good reason to stay here is the friendly and respectfull athmosphere in contrast to other forums where I quit after only a few posts.I´m thankfull as a guest here and realy apreciate the good work of our moderators and all care takers of this message board!
    Burkhard

Name:	DSCN3105.JPG 
Views:	10 
Size:	143.3 KB 
ID:	348469  
    Gigni de nihilo nihil,et nihil in nihilum posse reverti
    (Persius)

i got turned on to clocks when a realtor girlfriend took me with her to a client's house to discuss getting his house ready for sale so he could move to assisted living. he was a clock collector, and i had never seen the like. i complimented him on his clocks and he asked if i wanted to buy any. i said, sure, why? he said (and i will never forget): because my kids are waiting for me to die so they can have them, and i don't want them to.

ok, then! 8-)

as he said that, i was looking at a gorgeous 1890s ST regulator 2... and said i'll take that one. the clock would stop occasionally, and i would take it to the original seller's clock repair guy, who became my clock mentor. the first time or two he said, just leave it with me. but one time, he pulled the hands and dial and i saw the movement and was hooked.

from 2015 to now... with my mentor's help, and the help of everyone on this forum!... i've put together the tools and knowledge to do basic maintenance on my 40+ clocks, from making simpler parts to bushing to cleaning in the ultrasonic to basic lathe stuff. you can see my clocks (in order of acquisition) at: http://5happy.com/clocks

i pay the mortgage by building websites for businesses, professionals, non-profits and artists. i chase my passions through clocks and a parallel track as a professional musician... mostly 5-string bass and vocals, but grew up fingerpicking a couple of martins i inherited from my dad, play pedal steel and keyboards, and had a (small!) recording studio for many years... performing at the montreuex jazz festival was definitely a highlight!

life is short... chasing one's passions is the only strategy that makes sense!!! 8-)

note: i love deadbeat seconds clocks, and my birthday is coming up (well, next april).

Name:	a_boy_and_his_dog.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	150.5 KB 
ID:	348490  
    Last edited by bruce linde; 06-29-2017 at 04:58 PM.
    i collect antique clocks because i get all that extra time...

Blog Entries

Default Re: Getting To Know You (By: bruce linde)

Here is a picture of me a couple of years ago, I have since cut the beard down to just a goatee.

Name:	rich's new haircut 002.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	219.4 KB 
ID:	348502  

Default Re: Getting To Know You (By: richiec)

Good idea George interesting thread. My name is Steven Suitor I own a renovation company in Kitchener, Ontario Canada. As most of you know by now I buy a lot of clocks but my knowledge is still at the novice level. If it weren't for people like Steven Thornberry, Jerome collector, and others on this board who take the time to do a bit of research on what I'm posting it would just be another clock. My Dad and Mom collected antiques all their lives so I've been around antiques all my life. In the past three months I got diagnosed with diabetes and almost met the big guy so I have to slow down according to the doctor etc. I rented a booth at the Strathroy antique mall and I open this weekend. Should have enough room for about 40 clocks, lamps, tins etc. I will open at other locations in this area when room becomes available. It's a really hard decision which clocks to sell because I like them all, I bought a bunch of stock clocks and ended up keeping about 10 of them. I've been adding to my personal collection lately also because I was offered clocks you don't often see in my area. I met a NAWCC member from Oakville, Ont. who wants me to go to a meeting in London, Ont. so that's on the to do list.
    A couple people told me I was nuts buying all these clocks that's why I bought the Cuckoo clocks I didn't want to disappoint them He He.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Getting To Know You (By: sylvester12)

Great thread really enjoying it. Nice pic Ritchie.
    One clock at a time. Kevin West
    http://www.global-horology.com/GHMB/