Goal: $300, Received: $30.00 (10%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Question Getting To Know You

Hello, Everyone!

I might be going out on a dangerous limb here, and, Moderators, please feel free to slap me down if this is an inappropriate post.

After being on these boards for years, it occurrs to me that I really know very little about my friends here. I'm suggesting a thread where we might take just a few lines to introduce ourselves to other board members. We'll need to keep things short, and it is probably best not to respond to each member's posting so that the thread does not become overwhelmingly long. I suggest posting your real name, length of time collecting, what you like to collect most, and a line or two of personal information about your background, etc. I think this might be quite interesting, if the Moderators will allow it.

I'll be brave and start things out:

My name is William George Nelson, but go by George most of the time. I live in Knoxville, Tennessee. I've been collecting clocks since about 1974. Lately, my main interest has been wood movement clocks before 1845 or so, but have collected all types of clocks over the years, currently possessing about 70 since recently downsizing dramatically.

I worked for many years as a corporate trainer for The Home Depot, I job I truly loved and miss terribly since having to retire on disability due to surprise liver failure. I had a transplant about three years ago, and recovery has been slow but always improving. My clocks and volunteer activities keep me quite busy. I'm a Big Brother to a wonderful little boy, which also keeps me busy. It is quite rewarding.

I've been married twice, first to a wonderful woman named Judy, who passed away after 20 years of marriage. I was shortly thereafter introduced to my current wife, Martha, by my first wife's sister! Martha and I have been married 23 years now, and she is a very special person. I have been very, very blessed my entire life! We have two dogs, who we treat like our kids, of course. Neither marriage has blessed me with children.

So there you have the very short version. I'd genuinely love to hear about others here on the boards!

All my best,

George
    Time is a great story teller... Irish Proverb

Default Re: Getting To Know You (By: George Nelson)

Hello George,

My name is David Michael Shaver

My wife (of 51 years) and I spend most of the summer in the RV park with crappy wifi. When I came home today and checked into NAWCC and saw your thread. I thought "neat!", and then saw that of 100 views no one has responded. That was 5 hours ago, and I have been wrestling with why when you asked your "friends" here to introduce themselves and no responses. This is still troubling to me.

I am not a time piece collector. In the 70's I use to restore old american small engines. Then moved around and finally settled here in Brockville, Ontario. My last 31 years was working with Black & Decker in both manufacturing but mostly in electrical design and reliability engineering as the only EE guy in a pool of extremely talented mechanical designers, engineers and technologists. I loved the job and would have paid them to work there.

I retired when the parent company decided to close our design centre in 2011. Actually it was a blessing. I am so busy now, I sometime think it would be better to go back to work....just kidding. In the off season I work with my former boss building experimental aircraft. We are on the third one now.

So in retirement I decided that working on small engines was too messy and old clocks would fit in with my desire to restore old time pieces and my interests in small part machining. So while I don't collect clocks I do offer my services as a hobbyist to repair them for friends and references. I also do a lot of repair charity work for those that would like to get their heritage clocks going again, but can't afford the going rates. I am a "repairer", rather than a "replacer", although I do recognize that I can't make main springs.

We like all animals, but our pets have always been cats.

George all the best,

David
    David S

Default Re: Getting To Know You

My name is Ronald (Ron) Joiner
    I have lived in the province of Nova Scotia for the past 20 years but am originally from Ottawa, Ontario. I am a retired (2016) community college professor where I taught Criminal Justice at a local campus in Truro, NS. I still teach part-time but make sure that it does not take up too much of my time. I also volunteer my time for 2 non-profit agencies locally.

I am late to collecting but have built up a modest (35+) collection of all types of clocks but much prefer wall clocks and Canadian made Arthur Pequegnats if I can find them at a decent price. I also repair clocks but I am still on the thin part of a steep learning curve.

My wife of 37 years actually supports me in my hobby and she is often the one who finds those little bargains here and there.

All three kids have long left the nest and like many young people today live in other parts of the country to pursue their careers. We try to touch base a few times in the year.

You might find that I “disappear” from the forum in the summer months and enjoy the sun at our cottage in Quebec just north of Ottawa where we are “off the grid” and have no internet.

Excuse the self-promotion but I also author a clock blog in my spare time.

Ron

Default Re: Getting To Know You (By: David S)

Perhaps we were waiting for it to be moved to a more appropriate board, but it hasn't been so here goes.

My name is Nick, I'm 61, after various jobs involved in engineering industries I ran an engineering company for 21 years. I took partial retirement at 50 and fully retired at 56. I now have a job as a Physics lab technician.

I don't miss much about my old life except perhaps the income, certainly not the stress or having staff.

I always wanted a longcase clock but for various reasons didn't get one until a few years ago, now I have over a dozen, also pocket watches, dial clocks, carriage clocks and now a bracket clock.

My previous hobbies have been very active, climbing, hiking, caving, cycling, sailing and travelling. Latterly sailing on sailing ships, I've crossed the atlantic twice, once via the Southern Ocean and Antarctica.

Now my knees are shot, I can't climb the rigging, I struggle with the long flights to do the travelling, I have a more sedentary life (though I walk 2-3 miles at work each day)

Now I have a house full of clocks and a long suffering partner who generously supports my hobby, but retreats to his studio to escape the noise sometimes.

I'm a collector, not a repairer, though I do some of the work on my longcase I don't touch things with springs.
    Nick, lots to learn, late starter.

Registered user.

Default Re: Getting To Know You (By: novicetimekeeper)

Some interesting post at:

http://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?151-Your-pic-please

Tinker Dwight

Blog Entries

Default Re: Getting To Know You (By: Tinker Dwight)

Hi George and all,

Gleber comes from my college nickname, based on my last name - Glebas. You can see I sign my posts, "Tom," so my first name is obvious. BTW, My son's nickname is Bagels (an anagram of Glebas), and now his mother, my wife, is Momma or Ma Bagels. Like Nick, I am 61.

I've always been mechanically inclined, but didn't get into clocks until I bought a Kundo anniversary at a garage sale a little over 2 years ago. It was listed for $20, but wasn't working, so I offered $5. I now consider that my initiation fee into a club with ever escalating "dues."

My educational background is Civil Engineering, but I've always been attracted to computers. So, after my first job in an Engineering firm, I switched to the company that made the CAD software we used. From there, my former and current boss spun off an underwater ROV (Remotely Operated Vehicle) company and it looked like too fascinating of an opportunity to pass up. So, I joined that venture (www.videroay.com) - and it has been quite an adventure. Since joining, I have traveled to 30+ countries, explored shipwrecks, searched for drowning victims, rode camels in Morocco, worked Tsunami recovery in Japan, spent a week on an aquaculture work-boat North of the Arctic Circle in the land of the midnight sun (and back again for the Northern Lights), inspected and operated the locks at the Panama Canal and more. Along the way, I've met some fascinating people, but my favorite and most humbling experience was operating an ROV inside the wreck of the USS Arizona in Pearl Harbor to support more immersive exhibits in the Visitor Center. I have indeed been blessed in my career.

My wife and I will be married 40 years next week. She deserves an award for turning over every vacant spot in the house to my collection. We have a son who is a mechanical engineer, a daughter who has disabilities and lives at home, and a son who has his CDL (commercial driver's license) and does towing and heavy equipment hauling. Both boys were married last summer and my youngest is now expecting their first child (our first grandchild).

Right now, I enjoy working on my own clocks, but am considering setting up a side profession in preparation for retirement. My clock collection is online at www.rovdoc.com/clocks. I enjoy programming as a hobby and offer assistance to anyone who would like to set up a similar site to catalog their collection.

I cannot thank this forum and you members enough for all the assistance I have received. I can only hope to give back an equal measure. I have a lot of respect, admiration and appreciation for your dedication and contributions to this community.

Tom
    Last edited by gleber; 06-26-2017 at 07:10 PM.

Thanks, Tinker. I didn't know that thread existed...

George

PS: Thanks to all who have responded so far. This is fascinating!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker Dwight View Post
    Some interesting post at:

http://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?151-Your-pic-please

Tinker Dwight
    That one is a blast from the past Tinker! Ten years on and I know I've aged just a little Perhaps an update is in order?
    Cheers
    Peter R Lee: AKA (Pee-Tah) from Australia

Default Re: Getting To Know You (By: leeinv66)

Sure a bunch of folks that are no longer with us for one reason or another!
    A man with a clock always knows the time. A man with two clocks is never sure.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Getting To Know You (By: shutterbug)

I am 59 , almost 60, in the Fall. I have been on this mb quite a few years. I collect a variety of clocks and i do repairs on them. I am married with no children. This year in October i turn 60 and my wife and i have been married 33 years. I work in a machine shop here in Ottawa, Canada,s capitol. I hope to retire in about 7 years. Or semi retirement.I have et many nice people who have helped mo over the years on this mb, and many have left. I am including a picture of my self George, maybe you could add one of you, nice to know what folks look like on here.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	18699896_10154665707872913_2203247151700036037_n.jpg 
Views:	367 
Size:	20.6 KB 
ID:	348176  
    One clock at a time. Kevin West
    http://www.global-horology.com/GHMB/

Registered user.

Default Re: Getting To Know You (By: leeinv66)

Quote Originally Posted by leeinv66 View Post
    That one is a blast from the past Tinker! Ten years on and I know I've aged just a little Perhaps an update is in order?

I've been getting younger.
    Tinker Dwight

Registered User The Treasured Clock's Avatar

Hi George,
    My name is Jonathan Lee Jones. I have been working in various jobs as a cashier, dishwasher, dining room attendant, janitor and miscellaneous other work. I am a high school graduate with the class of 1974.
    Jonathan Lee Jones

Default Re: Getting To Know You (By: Kevin W.)

Hi, Kevin,

Thanks for your response and request for my picture. Here I am in all my glory! Hope you recover from the shock shortly...

Best to all,

George

Name:	George Nelson.jpg 
Views:	346 
Size:	254.0 KB 
ID:	348243  

Default Re: Getting To Know You (By: The Treasured Clock)

Justin A. Olson, 24 years old, and currently residing in southeastern Wisconsin. No employment due to poor health but I've spent the past couple years honing my skills in hopes of landing some form of work. Health problems are best described briefly and bluntly: brain and bowel. Things have gotten better over the past 3 years but I still have to watch myself.

I was raised in a very restrictive family which never partook in my curiosity of the world around me. Chiming clocks always caught my interest, owing to their close replication of much larger tower chimes. Big hall clocks, little wall clocks, and anything else... I wondered how such a clock could produce this sound... was it the weights? No, just three weights but four bells for Westminster. Pendulum? Nope. A closer look into the residential grandfather clock revealed eight little hammers striking two rows of steel rod wires embedded in some sort of block. A thrilling device merely known as the "rod gong".

Naturally I wanted a clock that played its chimes but was disallowed for the longest time ("restrictive" eventually became "paranoid"). I did actually have a loose chime block I loved to play around with. Striking its wires, seeing what made it sound the way it did... there are many ways to play chime melodies, but the rod gong somehow stuck around as the device that started it all. Eventually I did win away a multitude of clocks, just to study their chimes and melodies played. Mantel clocks are my favorite due to their ease of storage and portability, with some particular brands such as the Kienzle and Celebrate constituting further studies. I study to learn.

Clocks are not my only interest... old fire sirens, trucks, railways, industrial structures, graphic arts, music, acoustical studies, photography, and fluffy little caterpillars also constitute some other things that get my mind going. The sirens are my current "number one" subject with one favorite being the Red Arrow, a small but particularly loud alarm siren originally built in Sauk City, Wisconsin. The current cosmetic restoration project is a 400 pound siren from Decot Engineering Works. Of course there is still room for clocks on the side.

Name:	DSCN2727.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	156.8 KB 
ID:	348255   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2762.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	435.2 KB 
ID:	348256   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RedArrow.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	123.5 KB 
ID:	348257   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3HPDecotEngineeringWorksSiren.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	524.9 KB 
ID:	348258  
    "A good gong sells the clock!" - Justin A. Olson

Registered User The Treasured Clock's Avatar

Default Re: Getting To Know You (By: chimeclockfan)

By the way George, as some of you can figure out that I like cuckoo clocks as you either read an article that I written or threads I have posted.
    Jonathan Lee Jones