Goal: $300, Received: $55.00 (18%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Default Re: Getting To Know You (By: dickstorer)

I'm in total agreement with dickstorer, Missy! You sound so young and vibrant in your postings! My heartiest congratulations, and thanks for your wonderful posting.

My best to all,

George
    Time is a great story teller... Irish Proverb

Default Re: Getting To Know You (By: George Nelson)

I've attended a bunch of local NAWCC meetings(3 different chapters) and at 53 yrs old
    I'm close to the youngest person in the room(except for my 21yr old son who also attends).
    I'm still in the accumulation faze of collecting, while many at the Marts are in the distribution faze. What I can say
    is that it's a really great group of people. Very friendly, knowledgeable, and inviting.
    It's nice to be around like minded people who appreciate our similar interests.

Rob

Default Re: Getting To Know You (By: musicguy)

Have us Old Farts scared off young'uns from getting in on the act?
    Hope not. This is a very cool thread.
    1. Check out the Repair Hints & How-To's forum. You may find your answer there.

Default Re: Getting To Know You (By: bangster)

Quote Originally Posted by bangster View Post
    Have us Old Farts scared off young'uns from getting in on the act?
    Hope not. This is a very cool thread.
    Well, I'm TJ Cornish (I know - you would never have guessed), and I'm several decades younger (late '30's) than the average age of the posters so far on this thread. The clock bug is hereditary in my family, traceable up several generations from me and down to at least one of my children.

I work in IT, and do professional lighting and sound reinforcement on the side, as well as being a musician. Lately most of my free time has been spent sanding, staining, and varnishing many board feet of oak for a coffered ceiling project in our living room; done at least in part (please don't tell my wife) to make a more suitable home for some clocks, currently a nice Gustav Becker Vienna Regulator. The picture below shows the current state of the project. Note that the clock is already back on the wall even though the ceiling is only about half assembled.

I have a small collection of clocks and watches, many of which work. I've taken a couple apart and cleaned/attempted to fix, and I have ambitions to do more of this, but the long list of other things going on in my life have thus far gotten in the way.

My greatest success thus far comes out of one of my greatest boneheaded moves. I purchased the GB Vienna pictured while on vacation, and couldn't resist hanging it up where we were staying. A sturdy-enough looking screw in the wall turned out to not be, which created a number of learning opportunities while I rebuilt the case and re-machined new mounting posts for the movement. Apart from a couple more dings and scratches, the clock is alive and well, and hopefully the wisdom and experience gained will give me more successes and fewer failures in the future.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2779.JPG 
Views:	44 
Size:	977.5 KB 
ID:	350478  

Default Re: Getting To Know You (By: TJCornish)

Cool little library table.

Default Re: Getting To Know You (By: dickstorer)

Good morning,
    I am writing in re to the request for the oldest member of this forum.
    I'm not the oldest. But, In a couple of weeks I'll be getting pretty close
    to that step in years. On 8 August, I will be hitting the 90 year mark,
    and start looking forward to later years.
    I have been working on clocks now for at least 50 years. My, how the
    years go past. My clock repair time has been spent more as a self
    supporting hobby. And, enjoying every minute. And, I am looking
    forward to many more of those type minutes.
    Gordon Andersen
    West Bend, Wisconsin

Default Re: Getting To Know You (By: Gordon Andersen)

Hi TJ,

Love the bold wall color! Really makes the clock's wood tones pop.

Bob

Default Re: Getting To Know You (By: RAK)

Quote Originally Posted by RAK View Post
    Hi TJ,

Love the bold wall color! Really makes the clock's wood tones pop.

Bob
    Thanks Bob. We think it looks good, too. Our house was built in the '90's and has that lovely Golden Oak woodwork color with bright brass handles on everything (yuck). It's going to be a long-term project, but we are starting to replace the woodwork with a darker, less dated color as seen on the ceiling trimwork. I also scraped the popcorn ceiling finish off the room. My wife would like that done elsewhere in the house, but it was a big enough job that any possibility of that will be FAR in the future.

Default Re: Getting To Know You (By: Gordon Andersen)

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Andersen View Post
    Good morning,
    I am writing in re to the request for the oldest member of this forum.
    I'm not the oldest. But, In a couple of weeks I'll be getting pretty close
    to that step in years. On 8 August, I will be hitting the 90 year mark,
    and start looking forward to later years.
    I have been working on clocks now for at least 50 years. My, how the
    years go past. My clock repair time has been spent more as a self
    supporting hobby. And, enjoying every minute. And, I am looking
    forward to many more of those type minutes.
    Gordon Andersen
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    Gordon,

Thanks so much for posting! Please accept my very best wishes for a wonderful 90th birthday! Quite a milestone, and one to be proud of.

All my best,

George Nelson
    Time is a great story teller... Irish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by TJCornish View Post
    Thanks Bob. We think it looks good, too. Our house was built in the '90's and has that lovely Golden Oak woodwork color with bright brass handles on everything (yuck). It's going to be a long-term project, but we are starting to replace the woodwork with a darker, less dated color as seen on the ceiling trimwork. I also scraped the popcorn ceiling finish off the room. My wife would like that done elsewhere in the house, but it was a big enough job that any possibility of that will be FAR in the future.
    Popcorn ceiling may contain asbestos. Handle with care.

Default Re: Getting To Know You (By: bangster)

Bangster, I'm glad you said about asbestos. I wanted to, but wasn't sure that 'popcorn' ceilings were the same as what in Europe are called 'Artex'. A while back I wanted to get Artex removed and all building contractors refused to do it. I had to ask a licensed asbestos worker for a quote and it was so expensive I just left the Artex on the ceiling. He would have had to have full protective clothing, breathing apparatus and we couldn't have been in the house at the same time.

I would lick a dozen luminous watch hands rather than deal with asbestos unproteceted and risk mesothelioma!!

JTD

Default Re: Getting To Know You (By: JTD)

Quote Originally Posted by JTD View Post
    Bangster, I'm glad you said about asbestos. I wanted to, but wasn't sure that 'popcorn' ceilings were the same as what in Europe are called 'Artex'. A while back I wanted to get Artex removed and all building contractors refused to do it. I had to ask a licensed asbestos worker for a quote and it was so expensive I just left the Artex on the ceiling. He would have had to have full protective clothing, breathing apparatus and we couldn't have been in the house at the same time.

I would lick a dozen luminous watch hands rather than deal with asbestos unproteceted and risk mesothelioma!!

JTD
    Fair point and I appreciate the concern, but asbestos was banned in 1978. It may have lingered in the supply chain for a little while, but my house was built in 1995, so I'm in the clear - I have the Styrofoam version, which looks different than Wikipedia's picture of the asbestos version.

That's good then, as long as you're sure. Of course, asbestos in solid form (sheets etc.) isn't dangerous, it's the tiny fibres that you can breathe in when you grind off Artex/Popcorn or saw through sheets that do the real damage, often decades later.

Looks like you're good to go.

JTD

Default Re: Getting To Know You

Hi, Dean from Melbourne Australia. Aged 47 and studied mathematics and physics at university. Sold out and wasted my mathematical ability becoming a derivatives trader after a brief interlude training to be a medical doctor. Have a healthy dislike for the culture of the banking industry but have suffered through it for many years....4 children aged 17 to 10 (only one has any mechanical interest) and I intend to retire from banking when the youngest finishes school or they fire me whichever comes first!

My favourite subject at university was classical mechanics and from that I developed an interest in the pendulum. My first clock was a badly run down Eardley Norton bracket clock which I purchased to restore not knowing anything about clocks. I found the local clock club held restoration classes on Saturday and turned up with the clock and no idea how to fix it. A couple of the experts helped me enormously while I suspect secretly thinking I had bitten off more than I could chew....

My only interest was English clocks but recently I have obtained a few early European clocks. Like many of the participants on this BB I have too many clocks and I am trying to be more selective at what I acquire. Looking to meet other collectors in Australia as I don't know many at present.

I also rides bikes and have successfully broken numerous bones....elbow, thumb, collarbone, 8 ribs (3 different accidents), hand, 3 times concussed and the best one was snapping my femur in half!