Goal: $300, Received: $30.00 (10%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Tobias with Breuget Shock absorber like an Incabloc and a Compensation Curb.

Hi, inside a truly Horrific Case with a "Patent" sic movement securing device, this Parachute movement needed rescuing. It looks like a Classy movement, the Dial has "Tobias" on it and I wonder if it is a Swiss movement sold by Tobias as they got nearer to closing? It has a rather elaborate Ratchet assembly on the Winder and the Plate under the Bridges has a nice mottled appearance. It has a very long Lever and a Strange Balance with equidistance Balance Screws. I hope that the Breuget Shock absorber has done its job and the Balance Pivots are OK? Now ideas on who made it, approximate Date and when did M I Tobias close assuming that it came from their Shop? Regards Ray Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	316.8 KB 
ID:	347298Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	313.1 KB 
ID:	347299

Default Re: Tobias with Breuget Shock absorber like an Incabloc and a Compensation Curb.

Hi, I just noticed something on the Winder bridge, what may be a Makers Logo? I will have to wait until I can remove it from the Case. Regards Ray Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Makers Mark.PNG 
Views:	20 
Size:	477.3 KB 
ID:	347331.
    Last edited by Omexa; 06-19-2017 at 02:31 PM.

Default Re: Tobias with Breuget Shock absorber like an Incabloc and a Compensation Curb.

Hi, I just found this from eri231 "the parechute (shockproof) and the thermal compensation invented by Breguet are rarely used in Switzerland. In fact, this is a French Ebauches of Besancon area. a nearly identical is depicted in the book "La Montre Francais" of Chapiro." So it may be of French origin? Regards Ray

Default Re: Tobias with Breuget Shock absorber like an Incabloc and a Compensation Curb. (By: Omexa)

Hi, it looks like I have some other ones buried somewhere. http://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?99828- Arnold-Adams-Co-London-Detached-Lever-13-Jewels-Parachute-and-Compensation &highlight=parachute+omexa Regards Ray

Default Re: Tobias with Breuget Shock absorber like an Incabloc and a Compensation Curb. (By: Omexa)

Very interesting watch but I an suspicious that it is fake. Ofr openers iI am suspicious off all watches signed by this "maker". The photo is not enough to tell for sure but the compensator looks to be a simple piece of brass and not bimetallic and the parachute is very heavy. The bimetallic on the compensators is hard to see under the best of circumstances so the photo is not proof it's wrong.

The parachute, o work ,it has to be delicate and resilient.This example looks too thick and clumsy to function. It may be thin but not in the direction of the photo. It looks crude to me, especially compared to others including your Arnold Adams.

If this is a fake, it is the first counterfeit of these I have seen and I had no idea they did this (if infact they did).

I
    Last edited by Dr. Jon; 06-21-2017 at 10:11 AM.

Hi Dr. Jon, it seems to me to be an awful lot of work to do to make a "Fake"? Just a plain Balance Cock assembly would be sufficient to make a saleable "Fake"
    I wonder if it is a Swiss movement sold by Tobias as they got nearer to closing?
    Pocket Watch. It is interesting that all the photos from this seller have a red tinge on the shiny bits which do not make the movement look very nice. I am hoping that when I receive it my supposition that the Balance and other parts are nice and shiny are true. I will have a go with Photoshop to see if I can make the shiny bits a bit more attractive. I just thought that because it is in another Case it may not be the Original Dial. Regards Ray
    Last edited by Omexa; 06-21-2017 at 10:58 AM.

Here is a photo of the Arnold Adams Balance Cock Ass. Regards Ray Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170622_010651.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	224.6 KB 
ID:	347537

Blog Entries

Hi Ray,

Isn't "Arnold Adams" a fictitious name anyway?

Regards,

Graham

"Ut tensio, sic vis" - Robert Hooke

Hi Graham, from Les Harland: "Loomes Watchmakers and Clockmakers of the World only has one entry Adams Arnold and co London 19c."
    Isn't "Arnold Adams" a fictitious name anyway? Regards Ray

Both those parechutes are non-functional, it looks like. There's no split opposite the round kink; it's solid all the way through.
    Arnold Adams is a mix of the names of two well known London firms: Arnold and F.B. Adams. I don't believe there was any merger of the firms, just someone piggybacking off their success.

Hi Benjamin E., could you please show a photo of what you mean? I have found some others with a split and some without? Regards Ray
    Last edited by Omexa; 06-21-2017 at 12:15 PM.

http://mb.nawcc.org/attachment.php?a...5&d=1494544922

It's right above the screw to the right of the balance jewel. It's what allows the parechute to flex and suspend the staff. Breguet's later watches had a different kind of elastic suspension. For a good illustration of this, see Habsburg's auction catalog and "Breguet: Art and Innovation in Watchmaking", the catalog of the Breguet exhibit at the San Fransisco Legion D'Honneur.

Hi, I understand, but are there variations on a theme? Without the split it would work in one direction only (at right angles to the Balance Cock) and with the split it would work in two directions (at right angles to the Balance Cock and along the Balance CockClick image for larger version. 

Name:	1 - Copy (4).jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	396.3 KB 
ID:	347545Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1 - Copy (5).jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	399.3 KB 
ID:	347546 as well). Regards Ray

Blog Entries

Default Re: Tobias with Breuget Shock absorber like an Incabloc and a Compensation Curb. (By: Benjamin E.)

Hi Benjamin,

...Arnold Adams is a mix of the names of two well known London firms: Arnold and F.B. Adams. I don't believe there was any merger of the firms, just someone piggybacking off their success...
    I think you're right, there was certainly no merger of these two companies; John Roger Arnold was in partnership with Edward John Dent between 1830 and 1840, and after Arnold's death in 1843 Charles Frodsham bought the name and stock in trade. No suggestion of Swiss manufactured movements! F.B. Adams made high quality watches and chronometers in Clerkenwell.

Regards,

Graham

"Ut tensio, sic vis" - Robert Hooke

There are so many "Arnold Adams", Pocket Watches around, in 100's if not 1000's surely the Swiss Company would have had a London office? Regards Ray