Goal: $300, Received: $80.00 (27%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Tobias with Breuget Shock absorber like an Incabloc and a Compensation Curb. (By: Omexa)

Hi Ray,

To quote a highly respected authority, (one D. Penney):

"Swiss manufacturers spent much of the 18th and early nineteenth century making English-style watches, many of which were sold bearing fake 'London' names into various markets around the world. Liverpool looking watches, like this, were aimed at the American market where fake names such as 'Arnold' and 'Arnold Adams' were regularly used. This highly dubious practice, one that went on for the best part of two hundred years, is one that the Swiss try hard now to ignore - which may perhaps come as no surprise. That said, fake watches like this had a great effect on the business of watchmaking worldwide and every collection should have an example, but they should also be recognised for what they are - fakes!"

Regards,

Graham

"Ut tensio, sic vis" - Robert Hooke

Default Re: Tobias with Breuget Shock absorber like an Incabloc and a Compensation Curb. (By: Omexa)

Hi Graham, I think that you misunderstood me; I meant an office in London selling Fakes! Regards Ray

Hi, an interesting thing is that in my searches for Arnold Adams & Co. I have found a few Solid Gold American Cased Pocket Watches.
    The Smithsonian Institution (the “Smithsonian”) provides the content on this website (www.si.edu), other Smithsonian websites, and third-party sites on which it maintains a presence (“SI Websites”) in support of its mission for the “increase and diffusion of knowledge.” The Smithsonian invites visitors to use its online content for personal, educational and other non-commercial purposes. By using the SI Websites, you accept and agree to abide by the following terms.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	99-36452.PNG 
Views:	12 
Size:	421.3 KB 
ID:	347576 Regards Ray

Here is a view of a functional parachute

The red arrow poin tsto th cut Graham mentioned. The green arrow shows where the spring has been thinned to make it supple and the blue arrow indicates cap with is a separate part attached with a screw. Note also that the entire spring is nicely beveled and polished

This is high level, expensive, workmanship.

What I had not realized until this thread was that it was highly enough regarded that it was counterfeited. the interesting question to me is who were they trying to fool?.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	papachute.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	110.8 KB 
ID:	347614  

Default Re: Tobias with Breuget Shock absorber like an Incabloc and a Compensation Curb.

Hi Dr. Jon and others, what I can't understand is if they, whoever they were, went to the trouble to make the part and Spring Steel is not unknown in Switzerland why didn't they cut the slot and thin it to make it work? It didn't work as a Shock Absorber on my Fake movement, my fumble fingered mate dropped mine a short distance onto the Bench and a Balance Pivot broke. Thanks Dr. Jon, I will now be keeping my eye out for a Genuine Pocket Watch or movement. Regards Ray
    Last edited by Omexa; 06-22-2017 at 12:46 PM.

Default Re: Tobias with Breuget Shock absorber like an Incabloc and a Compensation Curb.

Looking at the big Auction site there are 3 for sale by Edouard Favre Brandt. No Slot? Regards Ray

Hi, I received the movement today and I was pleasantly surprised; it is not a "Fake" but just another way of doing things. Whether or not it did the job is beside the point; the Balance is OK. Regards Ray ATTACH=CONFIG]349860[/ATTACH]Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	392.5 KB 
ID:	349861Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	383.3 KB 
ID:	349862Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	377.6 KB 
ID:	349863
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	150.4 KB 
ID:	349860  

Hi, it is hard to get a photo of it but the Compensation Curb is Bi-metallic. It looks like Highly polished Steel on the outside curve. Regards Ray Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	343.2 KB 
ID:	349867

I just thought that I would add this interesting link. http://www.thepurists.net/Patrons/Me...eguetNo675.htm I wonder if there were Patent restrictions on using the Breuget Pare chute? Balance OK, No Mainspring; no problem I have plenty of them. Regards Ray
    Last edited by Omexa; 07-12-2017 at 12:45 PM.

Default Re: Tobias with Breuget Shock absorber like an Incabloc and a Compensation Curb. (By: Benjamin E.)

Hi, for those that are interested, here it is with a Mainspring fitted and running nicely. I have a Jacot with the same layout on the Pillar Plate under the Dial. Regards RayClick image for larger version. 

Name:	6.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	317.1 KB 
ID:	349917Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	291.6 KB 
ID:	349918

This looks pretty nice. The "real" Breguet parachute and compensated watches, inmy experience are very well made.. This looks to be very late example and Swiss so I doubt were any patnet issues.

The eduard Favre Brandt watches I have seen are very fine.