Goal: $300, Received: $90.00 (30%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Default "Westminster" Clocks

Does anyone else run into this a lot? I've come across multiple listings on different selling platforms that list a clock as "Westminster Clock" or something similar to that, when usually it's just a simple time and strike piece or a bim bam arrangement. Some sellers also try to command an extreme price too with this.

Is this an attempt to rip people off, or do they really not know what westminster chimes sound like? I find it hard to believe that someone wouldn't know what the westminster melody sounds like (and if they didn't, they could look it up in less than a minute on the internet)
    Time is the one thing that ticks us all off

Default Re: "Westminster" Clocks (By: ClockCollector)

I think some try to lable a clock as Westminster just to get a better price, however, I run into many people who honestly do not know what the term means. I have had to demonstrate to them how it works and what the Westminster tune sounds like.
    Will Walker (WOW)

Default Re: "Westminster" Clocks (By: wow)

I have challenged sellers on eBay regarding many wrong titles and descriptions about clocks and other items. Quite often the answer is - "Sorry, I just copied and pasted that from another item."

Now when you buy or sell on eBay they try to encourage listings by offering a button that say "Sell similar item" which does a lot of the automatic listing details for you. I think this is bad policy because a lot of people dont bother to correct the autofill that results.

Quote Originally Posted by wow View Post
    I think some try to lable a clock as Westminster just to get a better price, however, I run into many people who honestly do not know what the term means. I have had to demonstrate to them how it works and what the Westminster tune sounds like.
    You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. - The Great One

Default Re: "Westminster" Clocks (By: THTanner)

I see so many clocks mislabeled: any black mantle called Adamantine, they were only made by Seth Thomas, numerous clocks called OG's, not only do they have to have an OG curve on them but match the true definition, grandfather, not Long Case, but anything, including shelf clocks wall clocks and even electric clocks, antique and vintage quartz, and I'm sure I missed some.
    Larry Pearson, FNAWCC* #35863