Goal: $300, Received: $275.00 (92%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Can anyone help me with maker and function of this cute brass clock? German I think..

I bought this diminutive brass clock with a fancy painted dial, the dial only measures 4.25 inches tall including the domed part.

The name looks like 'Paul Kriteker or maybe Krikeken? In Esfegg or something like that! Any ideas?

Also what do you suppose the two little arbors/holes at the top were supposed to do? They are unconnected to the movement so I guess the movement (which is old and French) is a replacement. Pic of back of dial so you can see. I just cant work out what the words mean or what they would have been for!

Its a gorgeous and ornate little clock!

Sorry the pictures arent great! Hope you can help
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img20170618_11150571.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	108.1 KB 
ID:	347188   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1090895_8058.JPG 
Views:	57 
Size:	140.1 KB 
ID:	347189  

Default Re: Can anyone help me with maker and function of this cute brass clock? German I thi (By: ClipClock)

Hello,

We need to see better movement photographs to see any details; it is out of focus and dark.

Andy

Default Re: Can anyone help me with maker and function of this cute brass clock? German I thi (By: ClipClock)

I can read most of the words on the dial, except the man's surname, as the photo is too blurred. The little subsidiary dials: the left hand one is to turn the repeat mechanism on and off. The one on the right is to turn the strike on and off.

The name on the dial is Paul XXXX but I need a better photo to read it. The word Esseg is the town which is now in Croatia. In the days of the Austro-Hungarian empire it was called Esseg in German and Osijek in Croat.

Please let's see the Paul's surname in a better photo.

Hope this helps.

JTD

Default Re: Can anyone help me with maker and function of this cute brass clock? German I thi (By: JTD)

Thanks very much for your reples

Andy pics of the movement wont help, what is in there is a time only French movement, obviously not the original!

JTD, thank you, at least I now know where it was likely made and what the subsidiary dials would have been for now! The name is quite blury, but I have taken a better picture. Hopefully it'll help....

Name:	20170618_163606-1-1.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	53.6 KB 
ID:	347205  

This makes more sense of the signature clip

Name:	paul.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	102.1 KB 
ID:	347209  
    shimmystep.

Gosh how did you do that Shimmy? Looks like Kriteker to me?

Quote Originally Posted by ClipClock View Post
    Gosh how did you do that Shimmy? Looks like Kriteker to me?
    Just messing about on photoshop clip. I thought it looked like Paul Kraeker, not that it helps much!!
    shimmystep.

Default Re: Can anyone help me with maker and function of this cute brass clock? German I thi (By: shimmystep)

the subsidiaries both appear to silence something.
    Nick, lots to learn, late starter.

Default Re: Can anyone help me with maker and function of this cute brass clock? German I thi (By: novicetimekeeper)

Yes, the repeat mechanism and the strike, as I said already (post #3).

JTD

Default Re: Can anyone help me with maker and function of this cute brass clock? German I thi

I think you (Shimmystep) are right, although whether it is Paul Kraeker or Paul Kräcker is open to debate. I tend to think it may be Kräcker because the flowing line above the word may be intended to be a stylised Umlaut. Kraeker would be a semi-latinised spelling of the same name; the combination 'ek' in German is not usual, while 'ck' is very usual (and is indeed one combined letter in the gothic type fonts). Also 'c' in the old German fonts did not have a very pronounced curve.

It is not a common name in either version but it does exist.
    JTD
    Last edited by JTD; 06-18-2017 at 03:33 PM.

Default Re: Can anyone help me with maker and function of this cute brass clock? German I thi (By: JTD)

I didn't see the subsequent posts when I added that, don't know what happened there.
    Nick, lots to learn, late starter.

Default Re: Can anyone help me with maker and function of this cute brass clock? German I thi (By: novicetimekeeper)

No problem.

JTD

Thank you all again, only entry I've found that might be the man who made this clock is here, in the Museum of Slavonia, although they say he was a clockmaker in Osijek so maybe not! (Middle 2nd paragraph)

https://mso.hr/?p=3902&lang=en

Edited to say Osijek was once called Esseg so looks like we found our man with your help!

Yes, that's the man. And I told you abut Osijek/Esseg right at the beginning, see post #3.

JTD

Quote Originally Posted by JTD View Post
    Yes, that's the man. And I told you abut Osijek/Esseg right at the beginning, see post #3.

JTD
    Sorry, indeed you did, I'd forgotten that bit

Now if I could just find the jewel that has fallen out of the platform while cleaning it things would be good