Goal: $300, Received: $55.00 (18%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Transfer prining a new dial

If anyone is interested I have added the JPG's to my blog post "messing with things I don't properly understand" , and will try to build up the library - feel free to use as you see fit :-)

I've posted as JPG, but have the originals in editable windows format (Visio, Word etc)

http://britannicuspocketwatches.blog...tch-dials.html

Default Re: Transfer prining a new dial (By: Britannicus)

Been working on the first dial seems to print OK - but as suspected a little blurry on magnification

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	close up.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	55.4 KB 
ID:	348130   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	42mm.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	112.0 KB 
ID:	348131  

First effort at my transfer process - not perfect for a first effort, but I'm pleased with the result.

Left - what I started with
    1 from left - after cleaning, most of the numbers just wiped off, so removed all numbering
    2 from left - with new transfer on - My print wasn't perfect so numbers slightly misaligned - easily put right on next
    right - close up on fine detail

I have to say I'm very pleased with it

Name:	progress.JPG 
Views:	84 
Size:	54.0 KB 
ID:	349578  

Registered user.

This seems to be an acceptable way forward... Good job

Do you intend to separate the numbers some more? They seem a bit too close to the edge of the inner ring comparied with the original.

Registered user.
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Transfer prining a new dial (By: Skutt50)

I agree with Skutt. Increase the diameter of the large ring and maybe less emphasis on the register? I think a different font would make life easier for you. Something with higher numbers and less space between them. You want "12" to be as close in size to "3" as possible. Sort of square if you catch my drift.

Nicely done though! The technique seems to be working. I've use hair spray as a fixative or laquer for dials I've retouched in the past. So far so good, no discolouration. Do you plan to apply laquer to yours?

Default Re: Transfer prining a new dial (By: karlmansson)

Totally agree, this was really just a first demo of the technique. - I need to adjust the numbering on the dial to fit the available space, but the transfer is relatively easily removed using a solvent and I can go again. I used an Acetone based varnish and decal paper, I used Mr Decal Paper from eBay (but there are others), I cut the A4 into 4 sheets of A6 so I can just print a few faces at a time. - the process takes under 30 minutes and costs under £10 for enough to do hundreds of dials. When I've re-done this I will post again, and share the art work.

As for the font - I've now done numerous - including Roman. This is the closest I can get to the original though. I think I need to expand the chapter ring a millimetre or two to go right to the edge, shrink the number size a bit and pay more attention to the spacing. I'm particularly pleased with the close up detail - next effort I will try to replace the "fiskerton" signature.

I haven't used a separate lacquer coat, as the method uses an acetate lacquer anyway, but the instructions say that you can, and as this will sit behind a crystal, I'm not sure of the benefit.

The recommendation for applying to a ceramic surface, is to place in the oven for 10-15 mins at 110-130 degrees C.

After my second effort on this face, I think I will try more decorative effects using photographs in colour, and I have a full clock face to fix up.

Registered user.

The recommendation for applying to a ceramic surface, is to place in the oven for 10-15 mins at 110-130 degrees C.
    This sounds very interesting to me! Vill you try this as well?
    I often repair white enamel dials and have tried to fill in numbers with a narrow paint brush. The result has been so so.....
    If it will work with decals in general and in particular with some oven baking (is it to make the numbers more durable?), I think this might be the way forward to make a nice restoration of some very worn (cracked) old dials I have laying around .........

Hi Scutt, this is my hope too - I've used Milliput porcelain repair to fill in missing enamel on dials, I'm hoping to use this approach to fix them. The recommendation of heating in oven is specifically to harden the image.

I've now removed the original transfer so I can try again with a better image. I was quite impressed that it is quite resistant to abrasion and took a bit of effort to remove, so it should last well behind glass especially. According to the information the image is stable in daylight etc and won't yellow over time.

there's plenty of Youtube videos on the technique, there seem to be multiple vendors of the same thing. I used Mr Decal Paper which seems fine and just the cheapest spray acrylic varnish I could find (£5.99 on ebay - Paper was about £4 for 5 sheets A4 size) I find I can get 5 size 16 dials on a 1/4 of a sheet, so I cut mine into A6 size so I didn't waste Paper.

I might have a go at Enameling and making a dial from scratch :-)

Registered user.

I have been using Efcolor enamel powder for repair.

I was now thinking of cleaning enamel off a cracked cupper based dial, coat it with Efcolor enamel powder and then do a decal transfer! It should look like fresh from the factory...LOL

Another way could be to use spray paint. Some types used for car rims can be rather thick and gives a nice shine......

Cool - there is a variety of decal paper which has a white rather than a transparent background - I will check out how Efcolour works :-)

I re-worked the image and this is the final result

Name:	P_20170711_172407.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	57.2 KB 
ID:	349775  

Registered user.

I definately like this solution. You have done a great job!

(I hate being pickey but the seconds dial seems a tiny bit off center.....)

yeah I think you're right - I did both dials as one transfer - on reflection I think 2 would have been easier - will do the next one that way I think

Awesome work Britannicus...!

Over here in the states (not sure we have same stuff) we have a 2 part epoxy mix for fixing chips on wash tubs/toilets. I have used it to fill in porcelain dial chips and it can be sanded smooth. Didn't quite match color of a Swiss key wind I have (more whiter) but I imagine that the dial decal can be made opaque/white where needed. Just a little color tweaking of your images.

Thanks for giving us the info on where to get the decal paper. I have an older ink jet printer and wondering if I have to order some special ink (reference to oven heating above) or is this all handled by the decal paper?

I still have yet to dig into figuring the scaling. I know there are printing options but I must admit I haven't printed much in years now. Seems everything is going paperless.

RJ

Quote Originally Posted by Britannicus View Post
    Hi Scutt, this is my hope too - I've used Milliput porcelain repair to fill in missing enamel on dials, I'm hoping to use this approach to fix them. The recommendation of heating in oven is specifically to harden the image.

I've now removed the original transfer so I can try again with a better image. I was quite impressed that it is quite resistant to abrasion and took a bit of effort to remove, so it should last well behind glass especially. According to the information the image is stable in daylight etc and won't yellow over time.

there's plenty of Youtube videos on the technique, there seem to be multiple vendors of the same thing. I used Mr Decal Paper which seems fine and just the cheapest spray acrylic varnish I could find (£5.99 on ebay - Paper was about £4 for 5 sheets A4 size) I find I can get 5 size 16 dials on a 1/4 of a sheet, so I cut mine into A6 size so I didn't waste Paper.

I might have a go at Enameling and making a dial from scratch :-)

Default Re: Transfer prining a new dial (By: RJSoftware)

Hi RJ,

No you don't need any special ink - the way it seems to work is that you print your ink onto a shiny varnished paper, you then seal it in with the acrylic varnish, so your ink is sandwiched between 2 layers of varnish. When you soak the paper for about 20 seconds the varnish detaches from the paper and you can slide off the "sandwich" which will then stick to any non-porous surface.

As for scaling I found this a bit of an issue, as most windows applications tend to mess around with the size of your print. I did 2 things - first I used Visio (but any photoshop tools should be OK as well ) - these print off true to scale, so you can measure the print against a scale, and it should come out that way. Just to be sure, I trial printed on ordinary paper to see how it would come out, adjusted the image and re-printed.

I've tried the 2 part epoxy approach (Retails as Milliput over here) and it's worked reasonably well, but experimenting with the Efcolor to see if I can do better. I had some colour paste I'd used for resin casting years back and found that with a bit of careful blending with tiny amounts of yellow and brown, I could get a better colour match on an ivory coloured dial with milliput.

the transfers come on either a see-through or a white background so this might be a help .