Goal: $300, Received: $30.00 (10%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Transfer printing a new dial

I have several (sentimental value only) pocket watches which have had a tough life and I've managed to coax into ticking after a lot of trial and error.

The Dials of some of these are quite faded and in some cases the numbers missing all together - I was contemplating printing an Iron on transfer from my inkjet printer. I've seen this done for coffee cups and though that this might be helpful in restoring a semblance of originality to my dials.

Has anyone tried this ? - any better suggestions ??

Regards Andrew

Default Re: Transfer prining a new dial (By: Britannicus)

I've now had it suggested that I use a water slide transfer process

Registered user.
    Blog Entries

Hey Andrew!

Have a look at this: https://anderstestarblog.wordpress.c...ater-en-eiger/

Google translate is your friend.

Default Re: Transfer prining a new dial (By: karlmansson)

I have wondered about this for a long time. I would like to have a couple of choices of generic dial transfers. Numbers or Roman numerals. And some generic chapter ring.

Something I could feed the diameter into and crank out a transfer (whatever works -waterslide ...) print the decal and transfer it.

That way I could restore by painting over the dial with typically white enamel (or appropriate color), sand it smooth till it's like glass and then do the transfer.

I think the key is setting up a printer with specialized transfer paper and transfer ink. I have seen the expensive watch dial printers that use paint and some kind of rubber ball/balloon thing. Way out of my $ league. Besides I'm not mass manufacturing...

RJ

Registered user.
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Transfer prining a new dial (By: RJSoftware)

I'm afraid an inkjet or laser print will never look as crisp as rubber bulb printing. No matter what the printer is it will have a maximum DPI that will be visible under a loupe. A rubber bulb will give you a continuous paint edge and not an array of dots.

I had thought about this, I did an early sketch on Visio to see what I could produce - I think you're right about magnification around +40 in the case of using an inkjet, laser will give better resolution, but it's going to be the best I think I can generate in the household environment. I'm designing in X10 and then shrinking the JPG so that the digital image is really crisp, but it won't get round the issue of the DPI from the printer.

The attached JPEGS are low res but it's my intention to try to produce a range of different dials that can be scaled using any graphic tool for Roman, Arabic and Ottoman characters in a variety of styles - using art deco fonts etc. I will keep you all posted.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dial 1.JPG 
Views:	164 
Size:	26.6 KB 
ID:	347273   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Roman dial.JPG 
Views:	164 
Size:	37.3 KB 
ID:	347274  

Registered user.

Just a small thought: The position of the seconds arbor varies between movements. Could it be an idea to make it movable or even separate in order to fit various movements?

Default Re: Transfer prining a new dial

Excellent work Brittanicus. I like your pic of Doby..? I call him Toby for some reason. I use to tease my kids and called the show "Hairy Pooper" and they would yell back in disgust "It's Harry Potter -Dad..!!!" Then that turned into a bunch of jokes about different toilet adventures to match with the various titles. Their reaction was the most fun.

Yes, I was thinking same as Skutt, the seconds dial probably would be better as separate entity. Not only are some in different locations but also different diameters. But as separate entity the diameters of each can be adjusted in the print.

So that would mean also including back the 6/VI and then when all things determined the print can overlay with transparent background options of whom ever is using the files. One can then work with photoshop or other to the details of the overlay. Probably have to work over corners as to the rectangle/copy process. The corners might white-out sections in overlay. Been a while and I might be reflecting on older software glitches.

The bulb print would be better but you gotta work with what you got.

Any way it's put, your efforts are very much appreciated.

RJ

Quote Originally Posted by Britannicus View Post

I had thought about this, I did an early sketch on Visio to see what I could produce - I think you're right about magnification around +40 in the case of using an inkjet, laser will give better resolution, but it's going to be the best I think I can generate in the household environment. I'm designing in X10 and then shrinking the JPG so that the digital image is really crisp, but it won't get round the issue of the DPI from the printer.

The attached JPEGS are low res but it's my intention to try to produce a range of different dials that can be scaled using any graphic tool for Roman, Arabic and Ottoman characters in a variety of styles - using art deco fonts etc. I will keep you all posted.
    Last edited by RJSoftware; 06-19-2017 at 10:04 AM.

Registered user.
    Blog Entries

Making two layers in either Photoshop or Illustrator would take care of the distancing issue, so long as you can measure the distances correctly in the image program. For a free version I think Gimp is decent.

Thanks Karl, I'll check it out. Free is in my price range

Registered user.
    Blog Entries

No problem! Be sure to use vector Graphics though, to minimize blurriness and pixelation.

Default Re: Transfer prining a new dial (By: Skutt50)

Quote Originally Posted by Skutt50 View Post
    Just a small thought: The position of the seconds arbor varies between movements. Could it be an idea to make it movable or even separate in order to fit various movements?
    Yep I'd thought about that one, so I have it as a separate scalable one - I've also created the large dial with a 6 in case it's not subsidiary seconds :-)

Cheers I now have several versions - as I think each will be varied - I plan on creating a bit of a library -

I hate to say, but my Icon is supposed to be Gollum - but I like the Idea of Dobby -I get treated as the "house elf"

Hey Britannicus.

I am hoping you'll post updated version of the two you displayed above. I plan to use them. Maybe 3 this time, the 2 with 6/VI included and the separate sub seconds one.

On the "house elf", yep. I'm the servant of the house as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Britannicus View Post
    Cheers I now have several versions - as I think each will be varied - I plan on creating a bit of a library -

I hate to say, but my Icon is supposed to be Gollum - but I like the Idea of Dobby -I get treated as the "house elf"

Absolutely - I'm still working on formats - here is a PDF of the latest efforts - What Format would be best for People ?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dials 2.pdf