Goal: $300, Received: $90.00 (30%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Sad and Happy with the low prices at the auctions

Quote Originally Posted by SteveC1964 View Post
    Another factor is the Economy. Collectibles have always been driven by disposable income. Since about 2000, the Economy has been in a slump. It seems to be roaring back. We can hope this will drive clock prices up.
    No doubt and probably the most important factor.

In the U.S., paralleling the decline of prices for antiques of all types, has been the declining economy especially the at times spectacular declines in real estate values, increasing unemployment and so on. Even if an individual wasn't as severely effected as others (in my experience, NO ONE was immune), there was a great sense of caution and a lack of confidence in the future. People weren't spending; many times they had nothing to spend. Other reasons were also being cited, for example people weren't buying houses, so no need to furnish amongst many other related issues.

However, die hard collectors always seem to find a way to buy even if times aren't great. I do reiterate that there has been a fundamental shift in tastes and what is seen as desirable.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim DuBois View Post
    I am quite successful at driving up clock prices. All I have to do is bid on something of interest and up it goes. Usually WAY up. Lucky that way I guess?
    I do think we're both "star crossed" in that regard. I can sit at auctions and watch lot after lot sell for, relatively speaking, "no money" and when it finally gets to the things I've been waiting patiently for, the place the goes wild and it is not unusual for 1 of 2 things to happen. Most often, I leave empty handed. Too often, pay too much because "dammit, I've sat here all day waiting for that [explicative deleted] thing and I'm not leaving without it".

Quote Originally Posted by DeanT View Post
    Glass half full or glass half empty?

The glass half full collector would think low prices are great to allow the accumulation of a collection without breaking the bank.

The glass half empty is that the value of clocks have declined with a lot of cheaper clocks no longer worth restoring. This probably results in less work for clock restorers and therefore the gradual loss of restoring skills.

Now more than ever collectors should be sticking to quality clocks which are more worth than the cost of restoration. For those who have the inclination and capability of restoring themselves.... happy days indeed!!!!
    Always pays to buy the best.

There are many opportunities out there to own things that may have until not too long ago been out of reach. So, if you're really a collector, now's not such a bad time to collect with the understanding that you will own it for a very long time and there may never be that pot at the end of the rainbow.

RM

Default Re: Sad and Happy with the low prices at the auctions (By: rmarkowitz1_cee4a1)

RM,

you and I tend to like a lot of the same sorts of clocks...a bit unusual, off the beaten path, unusual makers, unusual movements and the like. But, I have not yet seen you move to brass dial wood works tall clocks......so, you have yet to be exploited ways of spending too much money....I will send you a presentation soon to be given on something from your part of the world...

Default Re: Sad and Happy with the low prices at the auctions (By: Jim DuBois)

Another factor is the Economy. Collectibles have always been driven by disposable income. Since about 2000, the Economy has been in a slump. It seems to be roaring back. We can hope this will drive clock prices up.
    I believe clock prices have recovered to a certain extent. Don't look now.... but as we're so busy exclaiming how low clock prices have become, the prices have climbed right under our noses.

Default Re: Sad and Happy with the low prices at the auctions (By: Jim DuBois)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim DuBois View Post
    RM,

you and I tend to like a lot of the same sorts of clocks...a bit unusual, off the beaten path, unusual makers, unusual movements and the like. But, I have not yet seen you move to brass dial wood works tall clocks......so, you have yet to be exploited ways of spending too much money....I will send you a presentation soon to be given on something from your part of the world...
    Thanks. Nice presentation.

Maybe someday?

RM

Blog Entries

Default Re: Sad and Happy with the low prices at the auctions (By: rmarkowitz1_cee4a1)

Chris, I really don't see the rise in clock prices, I know at marts you can't give them away recently. People have stopped coming to marts altogether because they can't sell and even break even. I deal in pocket watches, the only buyers are the gold scrappers these days, trying to bundle a lot of watches and offering about 50 cents on the dollar. There aren't enough serious or not so serious collectors any more and the ones there already have the rare and collectible pieces, very few entry level collectors any more. I can't give away a beautiful 17 jewel, 12 size gf watch for $40, average 16 sizes are selling for the cases only these days. Can't get new members to join the local. We are about to advertise in the local paper to invite the public and take a chance on them but not holding out much hope here.

Default Re: Sad and Happy with the low prices at the auctions

Hi richiec, I can't speak for watches, because I don't buy them. The clocks I collect, have climbed in their selling prices. Some have even increased. Some types of clocks are not at the level they were 15 years ago, but have climbed from the bottom of the last 1-2 years. The last 6 month short term, I see clocks I'm interested in selling for more than I'm willing to pay.

You do mention something that I suspect as well. Entry level collectors seem to be less and less lately. I suspect, perhaps coinciding with the internet, that people are more educated about aspects of collecting. They are immediately starting with intermediate or more advanced stuff. I do think there are some new people who are becoming interested in clocks and watches (as we see on the message board), but there is a glut of cheap stuff that less people want. It's a hard sell, there are more inexpensive (even more expensive) clocks and watches for sale than buyers.

Just my personal observations, I could be wrong.
    Last edited by Chris Radano; 06-19-2017 at 02:35 AM.