Goal: $300, Received: $225.00 (75%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Benedict Brother New York Watch

Wondering if anyone can id this movement as to maker and the case mark? Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP4540.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	238.6 KB 
ID:	346916  
    Last edited by MartyR; 06-16-2017 at 08:08 AM. Reason: Removed full-size image

Default Re: Benedict Brother New York Watch

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP4541.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	175.0 KB 
ID:	346917  
    Last edited by MartyR; 06-16-2017 at 08:08 AM. Reason: Removed full-size image

Default Re: Benedict Brother New York Watch (By: GD1)

I think it's either a LeCoultre or it's a LeCoultre ebauche likely finished by Agassiz.

Default Re: Benedict Brother New York Watch (By: Ethan Lipsig)

Thanks. The case looks and feels like gold but the only mark is the eagle.

Hi, it could be Gold; Benedict Brothers New York were a pretty Classy Seller. I have a similar but earlier Case with the Eagle and it is an American Gold Case. Do not get it Acid tested, there are better methods of testing for Gold. Regards Ray

Default Re: Benedict Brother New York Watch (By: Omexa)

Thanks. I picked this up from a retired watch repairman. It runs great and has a decent dial but the seconds post is broken. He had always intended to fix it but it became just another project that never got worked on. Oddly enough the outside of the case was almost black from oxidation and he said it was like that when he got it years before. The inside looked like you see it. The lids are papery thin and I was confused because I didn't think gold would tarnish.

Quote Originally Posted by GD1 View Post
    Oddly enough the outside of the case was almost black from oxidation and he said it was like that when he got it years before. The inside looked like you see it. The lids are papery thin and I was confused because I didn't think gold would tarnish.
    You're right - gold does not tarnish. It may be that the black coating was not oxidisation at all, but maybe a shellac varnish?

The eagle mark is a known US assay mark for 18K gold, and one that I have found to be trustworthy. But the name of Benedict Bros would be important in determining the reliability of the mark - is the Benedict name inscribed anywhhere on the case?
    Martin Rosen

Default Re: Benedict Brother New York Watch (By: MartyR)

No, only on the movement and dial.

My instinct is that the gold will be 18K, but if that is an important matter to you for reasons of valuation then I would advise that you have the case tested by XRF analyser; these will normally be found only at large pawnbrokers or jewellery stores.
    Martin Rosen

Not really, more curious than anything. Obviously the value would be quite a bit higher if gold, but I would hate to see it scrapped. I was actually more interested in who might have made the movement. The case mark was kind of secondary. Been carrying it a little and seems to keep good time. I realize without knowing the service on it, I am sure its hasn't been lately, i wouldn't want to carry it on a regular basis. Thanks to everyone for their help and/or input.

I listed this watch on a well known auction site and did not state anywhere in title or description it was gold or even suggested that. Buyer gets it for considerably under gold value, btw I never tested it or had it tested, was just going to let the market decide what it was worth. Buyer files claim, said I misrepresented it as gold, the people in charge made me refund his money and to add insult to injury I had to pay return shipping. Haven't gotten it back yet, figure it will hava big black acid spot on it where he pout 18K acid on it. May still be a low carat case for all I know.

I listed this watch on a well known auction site and did not state anywhere in title or description it was gold or even suggested that. Buyer gets it for considerably under gold value, btw I never tested it or had it tested, was just going to let the market decide what it was worth. Buyer files claim, said I ck to you with acid marks, then you havemisrepresented it as gold, the people in charge made me refund his money and to add insult to injury I had to pay return shipping. Haven't gotten it back yet, figure it will hava big black acid spot on it where he put 18K acid on it. May still be a low carat case for all I know.
    If you choose to use Ebay, you need to be more careful, or you have to be willing to pay the consequences

Of course if you have fully described what has happened, then Ebay/Paypal have both acted illegally, and if you live in the EU you have immediate recourse against Paypal in particular. If your watch arrives with acid marks, you have further legal recourse against Ebay and Paypal and the buyer. But of course you have to be willing to make the effort, and my guess is that you won't So Ebay and Paypal will continue blithely to break the law, and customers will continue to complain ....
    Martin Rosen

Everything you say is true. Since I depend on a certain amount of my income on online sales, it's kind of like cutting your nose off to spite your face by going to war. I did send the buyer a message and asked, "If the watch had actually been 18k, would you have sent me more money to offset my ignorance?" Of course, no reply. It does seem like there are more scammers and crybabies out there than I can ever recall dealing with in the past. Sign of the times I suppose.

I listed this watch on a well known auction site and did not state anywhere in title or description it was gold or even suggested that. Buyer gets it for considerably under gold value, btw I never tested it or had it tested, was just going to let the market decide what it was worth. Buyer files claim, said I misrepresented it as gold, the people in charge made me refund his money and to add insult to injury I had to pay return shipping. Haven't gotten it back yet, figure it will hava big black acid spot on it where he pout 18K acid on it. May still be a low carat case for all I know.
    Item #, please? I like to see additional photos, if you don't mind

Default Re: Benedict Brother New York Watch

From the looks of the auction, and how you described the item, Ebay is way out of line. That is Ebay at its worst. I don't see anywhere in the auction where you say its gold. Apparently the buyer gambled on it being 18k, and now wants his stake back since it didn't test to his liking. For Ebay to let them get away with that is unconscionable. This sort of thing is why I'm loathe to sell anything on Ebay these days. Doing so has too strong a tendency to bring more frustration than it's worth.

Sorry you're having to deal with that garbage. The buyer should be flamed with a negative feedback, but I understand if you're hesitant to do it. I once left a neutral for some jack-mackerel and he retaliated with a negative. I ended my response to his "negative" with "...Feedback system is useless unless it's honest." Frankly, I think the Ebay feedback system offers the tiniest of glimpses into how one might expect to be treated. I GUESS it's better than nothing. Cheers.

This looks like the auction: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Benedict-Bro...p2047675.l2557