Goal: $300, Received: $90.00 (30%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Default What can y'all tell me about this 23j bunn special

production/variation/etc thanks in advance!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0946.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	211.0 KB 
ID:	346909   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0947.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	185.9 KB 
ID:	346910   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0948.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	202.5 KB 
ID:	346911  

Blog Entries

Default Re: What can y'all tell me about this 23j bunn special (By: birddog1)

Made about 1908, railroad approved. Really nice watch. Almost 77000 made. gothic font on the dial. Model 6.

Default Re: What can y'all tell me about this 23j bunn special (By: richiec)

The Snyder database puts total production of this variation at 4650. I see Richie got his number from pocketwatchdatabase.com. They tend to generalize a bit more.

Default Re: What can y'all tell me about this 23j bunn special (By: richiec)

It's one of my favorite dials with the Gothic lettering.

Rob

Default Re: What can y'all tell me about this 23j bunn special (By: musicguy)

open top 4 dial.

Default Re: What can y'all tell me about this 23j bunn special (By: terry hall)

Quote Originally Posted by terry hall View Post
    open top 4 dial.

Who knows...but the dial may be a bit old for the movement?
    John Cote
    Watch Collector (pocket & wrist), Clock Admirer, Time Nerd...

Smile Re: What can y'all tell me about this 23j bunn special (By: birddog1)

This watch is a railroad watch, one that was widely accepted into railroad time service at the time it was built.
    Kent
    That guy down in Georgia

Default Re: What can y'all tell me about this 23j bunn special (By: John Cote)

Quote Originally Posted by John Cote View Post
    Who knows...but the dial may be a bit old for the movement?
    Meybee.... you thinkin' a closed top 4... correct?

Default Re: What can y'all tell me about this 23j bunn special (By: terry hall)

Quote Originally Posted by terry hall View Post
    Meybee.... you thinkin' a closed top 4... correct?
    Yup...these open top 4s were made for a short time quite a bit of time before this watch was made. It is a great dial and I will not have an argument about whether it originally cam on the watch or not but I doubt it. Lots of these watches have had dial switches over the years. Not a huge deal.
    John Cote
    Watch Collector (pocket & wrist), Clock Admirer, Time Nerd...

Default Re: What can y'all tell me about this 23j bunn special (By: John Cote)

It's a nice dial no cracks or chips I like it !!And the watch is nice and clean runs great keeps dang near perfect time////

Default Re: What can y'all tell me about this 23j bunn special (By: birddog1)

The things that make this acceptable for rail service are: Bold numerals and large hands, 17 or more jewels, (in earlier years 15 jewels were minimum) Adjusted (Usually 5 positions were required) The Isochronism is an extra.
    There are lots of old newsprint images to be found here describing railroad watches and their qualities, you can search from the small search bar at the upper right on this page.

Default Re: What can y'all tell me about this 23j bunn special (By: PWfanatik)

So I just noticed your watch even has the dual time zone hour hands, must have been used on some long-haul railroad lines?
    Brad Maisto, Kentucky Floral Chapter 44 member.

Smile Re: What can y'all tell me about this 23j bunn special (By: PWfanatik)

Quote Originally Posted by PWfanatik View Post
    ... There are lots of old newsprint images to be found here describing railroad watches and their qualities, you can search from the small search bar at the upper right on this page.
    Or, you can just go to the references sections of the Encyclopedia articles linked to in Post #7.
    Kent
    That guy down in Georgia

Default Re: What can y'all tell me about this 23j bunn special (By: Kent)

Your movement is from the first run of 23J Bunn Specials with this bright spotted damaskeen pattern, and this is also the first run of 23J Bunn Specials with a jeweled barrel. The only earlier 23J Bunn Specials were a very small number made 10 or so years earlier that had a 2-tone damaskeen and that had their 22nd and 23rd jewels as caps on the third wheel rather than as barrel jeweling.

The run your movement was from is of 1000 watches, the early part of this run was movements with black colored lettering and the late part was movements with gold colored lettering. A number of subsequent runs were made with the gold color, and then there was another change a change a few years later to red coloring that lasted through the end of 23J 18s Bunn Spl production. So the black color like your watch is the least common of the three by a good margin, while yellow is most common.

The production number richiec posted from that database is many multiples more than then total number of 23J Bunn Specials that was actually produced. Not sure where the database got that number, but off the top of my head it may be close to the total of ALL 18 size Bunn Specials made (21, 23, 24, and 26 jewel) but I haven't checked references (Meggers book and Snyder database) to see if this might be right.

I agree with Terry and John that the dial likely predates the mvt. Would be a nice dial for a Bunn Special 10 years earlier though, and those dials are tougher to find than the closed top 4 version that would be typically expected for your watch.

p.s. Nice time zone hands!
    Fred Hansen
    NAWCC #109682

Default Re: What can y'all tell me about this 23j bunn special (By: Fred Hansen)

Fred any idea when did the serial number start on these and around about how many black lettering was made.Would like to know what was the first serial number so it know we're mine lyes at thanks