Goal: $300, Received: $80.00 (27%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Waltham Larger Dial Ship's Marine CLock

Hello All, I was wondering how often you come across larger Waltham marine or ship's clocks? I recently acquired one with a twelve inch case(I'm guessing ten inch dial) at an auction. I put a picture below from the website, but I don't have the clock yet to post a picture of the movement. It seems like I see way more Chelsea and Seth Thomas from this earlier era than Waltham. Do any of you all have these in your collection that you would share pictures of? The only thing I could find was on the Chelsea website that stated there were 315 known production of the really early Waltham models and the slightly later ones like this one had a different movement configuration where the platform escapement runs across the top of the movement plates. Thanks for taking the time, Shawn
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	walthammarineclock.jpg 
Views:	922 
Size:	91.3 KB 
ID:	346841  

Default Re: Waltham Larger Dial Ship's Marine CLock (By: ShawnHVoils)

I don't believe it is a ships clock. It appears to be time only, without the usual ships bell train.
    A man with a clock always knows the time. A man with two clocks is never sure.

Default Re: Waltham Larger Dial Ship's Marine CLock (By: shutterbug)

Here's one... the movement pictures are not too great... in fact lousy.

Ralph
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7574.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	242.2 KB 
ID:	346858   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7575.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	260.0 KB 
ID:	346859   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7576.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	427.9 KB 
ID:	346860   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	star3.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	34.0 KB 
ID:	346861   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	star5.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	12.4 KB 
ID:	346862  

Registered user.

Default Re: Waltham Larger Dial Ship's Marine CLock (By: Ralph)

Movements without bells were often used in public areas
    on passenger ships where strikes would be inconvenient.
    Auditoriums or dance halls a bell strike would be inconvenient.
    Tinker Dwight

Shawn, it could indeed be a Waltham Marine Clock and does not have to be a ship's bell. I know of a few others in 12" dials. Also on most of these the bezel unscrews and not hinged. Please post more when you get the clock. That is correct, the platform can reside on top of a round movement. Movement generally marked Waltham Clock Co. in a circle with USA in the center. Hope this helps. Doug

Default Re: Waltham Larger Dial Ship's Marine CLock (By: Tinker Dwight)

Shawn - what does the back of yours look like?
    A man with a clock always knows the time. A man with two clocks is never sure.

The Star Brass clock is serial #219 and is style #41. It is an 8 1/2" model.

Ralph

Shawn,
    I have been collecting engine room clocks for quite a while and have never had the opportunity to purchase one with a Waltham movement. The movements are quite beautiful and quite scarce. I am looking forward to more pictures when you get the clock.

Ralph,
    I checked my Star Brass catalogues covering 1904 to 1938 and none of them listed the Waltham movement as an option. They must have been a special order but I don’t understand why anyone would order one considering the standard options. The earlier catalogues list Howard, Seth Thomas, and Boston (formerly Harvard) as options. The later catalogue lists Howard, Chelsea, and Seth Thomas as options. I checked my Aston, Ashcroft, American Steam Gauge, and Crosby catalogues and none of them listed Waltham as optional movements in their engine room clocks.

Shutterbug,
    Most steamers had a gauge board in the engine room which would have included a time only clock. All of the major gauge manufacturers offered clocks and revolution counters in their cases to complement their gauges. Check out this great picture.
    http://boatnerd.com/pictures/histori...ineroom-BH.jpg

Doug,
    Only Chelsea’s clock cases had bezels the unscrewed. Everyone else had hinged bezels on their clocks and revolution counters. Locks or lock hasps were available on all hinged cases.

Regards,
    D~

Default Re: Waltham Larger Dial Ship's Marine CLock (By: the 3rd dwarve)

Hello All,

Waltham Clock Co. made a number of these clocks very early pre-1900. These were true ship's clocks for working environments.

I have one in nickel brass case.

You need to look at the actual movement to date it.

There is an early run of them with 3 digit serial numbers and later run with serial numbers in 50,XXX.

Read my April 2005 Bulletin article on Waltham Clock Co. there is a discussion of these clocks.

Andy Dervan

"Ralph,
    I checked my Star Brass catalogues covering 1904 to 1938 and none of them listed the Waltham movement as an option."

That might be because Waltham supplied movements to Star Brass from 1896-1899.

Ralph

Ralph,
    Thank you, I don't have any catalogs that go back that far.
    Do you know why Star stopped using the Waltham movements?

D~

I can attest that many Waltham 12" dial clocks had screw on bezels that did not have hinged bezels. The bezels hinged or not was dependent upon on how the clock was made by Waltham or remade so to speak even with Chelsea.
    Anyhow nice thread.

Ralph, You appear to have a really nice early one. That's a great looking clock! Regards, Shawn

Default Re: Waltham Larger Dial Ship's Marine CLock (By: Andy Dervan)

Andy, I would love to read that article. Could you provide a link for it? I will let you know the serial number as soon as I get the clock. Thanks for all the info, Shawn