Goal: $300, Received: $165.00 (55%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Default could someone explain these markings and these cap jewels?

Mr. McIntyre or mr. Treiman?

I know this is not desirable or rare or valuable. But curiosity is getting to me. Any idea how many jewels it really has and why these markings?

thanks !
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7jewelwaltham.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	229.4 KB 
ID:	346818  
    Jeffrey P. Hess, collector, historian, writer, CEO Ball WATCH USA

Registered user.

Default Re: could someone explain these markings and these cap jewels? (By: Jeff Hess)

Looks like a 15 jewelled watch to me, upper and lower balance jewels 4, roller jewel 1, upper and lower pallet hole jewels and the pallets 4, upper and lower jewels for the escape, third and fourth wheels 6.

Default Re: could someone explain these markings and these cap jewels? (By: dAz57)

yeah it does. weird huh?
    Jeffrey P. Hess, collector, historian, writer, CEO Ball WATCH USA

Blog Entries

Default Re: could someone explain these markings and these cap jewels? (By: Jeff Hess)

If it is an employees watch it is very strange. The fewest jewels it coud reasonably have is 11. To have less than that some of those things that look like jewels would need to be something else.

The most likely explanation to me would be that an employee or a pretty good independent watchmaker decided to do a jewel upgrade on it.
    Tom McIntyre Click me.
    If you don't learn to laugh at trouble,
    you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old.
    Will Rogers

Default Re: could someone explain these markings and these cap jewels? (By: Tom McIntyre)

Jeff - I see a movement from a very large serial number block (almost 20,000 movements) from a time period when Waltham quality was on the decline. I would guess that the plates were already stamped when they had an order for an 11 or 15-jewel movement run so they just finished some of these to a higher level (gold settings, too!) but just didn’t care that it was marked incorrectly. Pretty interesting, though.

Here is another puzzler. A 19-jewel movement that had the "19" drilled out and re-engraved with "17", but they left all 19 jewels in it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	25032405m.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	122.7 KB 
ID:	346834  
    Jerry Treiman, NAWCC member since 1971
    Charter member of Pocket Horology Chapter 174

Default Re: could someone explain these markings and these cap jewels? (By: Jerry Treiman)

Does anyone know what the 28 stamping means ?
    Bill

Default Re: could someone explain these markings and these cap jewels? (By: Bill Manders)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Manders View Post
    Does anyone know what the 28 stamping means ?
    Bill
    "28" are the first two digits of the serial number; the rest is on the next line.
    Jerry Treiman, NAWCC member since 1971
    Charter member of Pocket Horology Chapter 174

Default Re: could someone explain these markings and these cap jewels? (By: Jerry Treiman)

Jerry,
    Thanks, I would not have thought that, was it often done in that manner ?
    Bill

Default Re: could someone explain these markings and these cap jewels? (By: Bill Manders)

The extra jewel sstrings look just a tad larger to my eye than the usual factory ones.-Cort

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Treiman View Post
    Jeff - I see a movement from a very large serial number block (almost 20,000 movements) from a time period when Waltham quality was on the decline. I would guess that the plates were already stamped when they had an order for an 11 or 15-jewel movement run so they just finished some of these to a higher level (gold settings, too!) but just didn’t care that it was marked incorrectly. Pretty interesting, though.

Here is another puzzler. A 19-jewel movement that had the "19" drilled out and re-engraved with "17", but they left all 19 jewels in it.
    Probably another case of conforming to the letter of the contract rather than contacting the party and offering the 19J at the 17J price. Things get iffy when you are struggling to make ends meet.
    Tom McIntyre Click me.
    If you don't learn to laugh at trouble,
    you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old.
    Will Rogers

Default Re: could someone explain these markings and these cap jewels? (By: Tom McIntyre)

Perhaps an altered watch.
    Could an employee have taken the pieces needed and added the jewels over and above the seven in the markings?