Goal: $300, Received: $225.00 (75%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Default Leonidas German ww1-ww2 era INFORMATION please HELP!

I bought a lot of watches and found this german Leonidas I don't know much about it it has either 99 or 66 stamped on the back case. It has a pocket watch movement and a stop watch combination. Any information would be appreciated
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9226.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	255.4 KB 
ID:	346762   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9227.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	161.4 KB 
ID:	346763   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9228.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	163.4 KB 
ID:	346764   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9229.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	195.7 KB 
ID:	346765   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9230.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	136.5 KB 
ID:	346766  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9231.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	144.1 KB 
ID:	346767  
    Last edited by MartyR; 06-14-2017 at 02:08 PM. Reason: Removed full-size images

Default Re: Leonidas German ww1-ww2 era INFORMATION please HELP! (By: cheita)

Hi Cheita

First of all, the watch is Swiss, not German. It actually says so in your 4th and 5th photos

The maker is Leonidas Watch Factory of St Imier, Switzerland, who seem to have operated from about 1903 and then conjoined with a number of other watchmakers including Bourquin, Jeanneret Droz, and finally Heuer in the 1940s. Mikrolisk has two pages referring to the firm here.

My best guess anbout the "66" is that this was a watch purchased by the military of a mainland European country, and 66 was the refereence number they gave to the watch.

I would date it to the 1920s or 1930s. It's a good-looking watch!
    Martin Rosen

Default Re: Leonidas German ww1-ww2 era INFORMATION please HELP!

If you do a search on...

[ Leonidas chronograph pocket watch]

... you may find a movement
    of about the same vintage.

Leonidas made plenty of those,
    over the years.

On yours, the stampings
    (LEONIDAS WATCH FY,
    FIFTEEN JEWELS,
    UNADJUSTED, SWISS MADE)
    are in English, suggesting an
    American, Canadian, or
    British 'target' for its sale.
    Last edited by LloydB; 06-14-2017 at 04:49 PM.

Default Re: Leonidas German ww1-ww2 era INFORMATION please HELP!

Quote Originally Posted by LloydB View Post
    On yours, the stampings (LEONIDAS WATCH FY, FIFTEEN JEWELS, UNADJUSTED, SWISS MADE)he
    are in English, suggesting an American, Canadian, or British 'target' for its sale.
    The "F" and "S" on the regulator suggest the same.

But the "66"on the case front (as I said earlier) have a distinctly military look to me, and lacking the "WD" mark or the pheon this can't be a British military purchase ... can it? Does anyone know anything about American military markings?
    Martin Rosen

Default Re: Leonidas German ww1-ww2 era INFORMATION please HELP! (By: MartyR)

I thought the markings on the back of the case were for german military not made in germany. I didn't realize this company made watches for other military forces during ww1 & 2.

Default Re: Leonidas German ww1-ww2 era INFORMATION please HELP! (By: cheita)

Quote Originally Posted by cheita View Post
    I thought the markings on the back of the case were for german military not made in germany. I didn't realize this company made watches for other military forces during ww1 & 2.
    You might be correct, Cheita; my first guess was that it could be a sale to a European military.

I do not think it was made specifically for any military organisation - I would guess it may have been bought into military use. The style of the numerals on the dial are definitely not late 1930s or 1940s - they are probably not later than early 1930s. Also, if the watch had been made for military use the numerals would in any event have been made simpler and perhaps larger. Similarly all three hands would have been much thicker and not Breguet-style (your hour hand has been broken off by the way). My conclusion is, assuming of course that the "66" is indeed a military designation, that it would have been bought "off the shelf" by a military purchaser between the world wars, perhaps to be given to an officer for general use.

I was not aware that Leonidas made watches for any military forces. Does you last comment mean that you are aware that they did?
    Martin Rosen

Default Re: Leonidas German ww1-ww2 era INFORMATION please HELP! (By: MartyR)

Chronograph watches, made by Leonidas and other manufacturers were indeed used by the military of various nations over many years, in fact there is a picture of a very similar 17 jewel Leonidas in Wesolowski - 'Military Timepieces - 1880 1990' (Pg 126/127) marked for use by the German Navy (Kriegsmarine) and the version illustrated here is dated to 1938. The markings on the case of this watch do not conform to any style of military markings with which I am familiar where, almost always, the particular service and/or service branch will be identified. The illustrations by Wesolowski, for instance, is marked with the Nazi Swastika and M Artl 5551, indicating German Marine Artillery. Reference to books by Konrad Knirim, or contact with the man himself, will offer a better indication of any possible earlier military use.

As pointed out earlier it is unlikely that a military watch would be fitted with decorative hands, but hands are easily replaced. In essence the watch could have been used by any number of industrial organisations who would operate a more simplistic identification methodology, like this watch, as the ownership volumes would be much smaller. I personally would doubt that it is an ex military watch - but I have been wrong before

I would remove that plastic crystal as soon as you can and replace it with either a glass or modern acrylic.