Goal: $300, Received: $90.00 (30%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Default A strange movement that seems to be a mixture of styles and years? What is it?

Hi, this looks to me to be a Conversion from a Verge to a "What"? It is highly unusual in that it has had the whole Top Plate, Balance Cock and Balance Wheel and Hairspring replaced. It all looks to be a very professional job by what looks to be a Watchmaker in Bristol? It is very hard to make out the engraving and the Serial Number near the Bosley Regulator. (If someone can make it out I would be pleased) I have purchased a number of movements from this seller who I have found to be very wary of wrong description and I have had 4 movements over the years where in the description it states Balance Broken, and when it arrives it is not broken. This seller sells in the thousands and probably does not want the hassle of refunds etc. Can anyone hazard a guess what sort of escapement it has? Maybe from the Top Plate Layout? Regards Ray Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	219.1 KB 
ID:	344527Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	97.2 KB 
ID:	344528Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	203.7 KB 
ID:	344529Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	248.8 KB 
ID:	344530Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6.jpg 
Size:	227.7 KB 
ID:	344531Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	231.0 KB 
ID:	344532Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8.jpg 
Size:	235.1 KB 
ID:	344533Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BBB.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	42.3 KB 
ID:	344534
    Last edited by Omexa; 05-22-2017 at 05:33 PM.

Default Re: A strange movement that seems to be a mixture of styles and years? What is it? (By: Omexa)

99% sure that's an English lever escapement in there, just a standard single table roller. From the style of the balance and cock I reckon the converison was probably done in the 1830s maybe 1840s. As you say, it's a much more comprehensive swap than normal. There's one of the typical thick conversion plates screwed to the dial plate to take the bottom balance, lever and escape wheel pivots. Looks like it might also incorporate a pillar to protect the balance staff in the event of a chain breakage.
    Amazing that someone went to the lengths they did to retain the core of this movement, presumably with its original case(es) at the time. They've not updated the dial to a 'modern' type so it would still have looked like quite an antiquated watch even if they had recased it as well.
    Regards,
    Seth

Blog Entries

Default Re: A strange movement that seems to be a mixture of styles and years? What is it? (By: Omexa)

Hi Ray,

I agree with Seth that it's a conversion of a 1760s-70s watch, most probably from a verge, and quite unusual in having the whole top plate replaced. It looks as though the barrel has a small split, and the fusee stop post has half missing.

Regards,

Graham

"Ut tensio, sic vis" - Robert Hooke

Default Re: A strange movement that seems to be a mixture of styles and years? What is it?

Hi, I am fascinated by the virtual "Watch (more modern) within a Verge Watch" approach to this Conversion; it would have been simpler to put the Dial Plate and Dial on a New Movement and then put it in the Case? I wonder if it was an important Family Heirloom and they wanted to have as much original parts as possible? But this theory is shot down by not using the Top Plate and Balance Cock which are visible to the owner. I think now that it was just handed over to a trusted Watchmaker in Bristol (Watchmakers in Bristol?) with the instructions to upgrade it? He or She certainly took the long way round to this up-grade and I have a few very simple Conversions to a Table Roller (if it is) using the original Top Plate, Balance Cock and Balance Wheel . At one stage the Scrappers took away any originality with the Case Melt down. I think that I will continue to scratch my Head for a long time with this movement. I would love to know who owned this movement; I purchased it from Coventry west midlands, West Midlands, United Kingdom. http://www.coventrywatchmuseum.co.uk/history.asp I included the link as a matter of interest; I hope that the Museum is still open? Regards Ray
    Last edited by Omexa; 05-23-2017 at 11:31 AM.

Hi all, I am not doing much at the moment; I have had the Flu for a week, so not feeling very well. Seeing as I am not working on Pocket Watch movements at the moment, I looked up what is coming and going. I was surprised at how many Bidders there were on this movement, 17 Bidders. I always work out what is the maximum I will pay before the Auction ends and I wait like a Vulture for the time to strike. I outbid the nearest Bidder by 2.00GBP and it was 3.00GBP under my maximum Bid. I have avoided getting into a Bidding War by using this method, having had my fingers burnt in earlier times. This little story may be of use to new time Bidders; avoid Bidding Wars at all cost. Regards Ray

Hi, I am still waiting for this movement to arrive; Australia Post has got slower since the new Mail "Slower upper" Depots have been opened in Brisbane and Sydney. I did not think that the service could get any worse, but they (Australia Post) showed me how wrong my assumption was! It now takes longer to get from the Depots to Darwin than it does to get from the other side of the World to the Depots. Now that I have got that out of the my System; my pet hates are (not in order) Banks, Postal Services, Politicians aarg, and anything else that gets in the way of Pocket Watch collecting. Now to my question, I am being eaten up by curiosity as to what sort of escapement this movement has? There do not seem to be any Banking Pins on the Top Plate. Regards RayClick image for larger version. 

Views:	5 
Size:	220.3 KB 
ID:	346925Click image for larger version. 

Views:	11 
Size:	186.8 KB 
ID:	346926Click image for larger version. 

Views:	7 
Size:	306.7 KB 
ID:	346927

Hi, I received the movement a couple of days ago, it is a very thorough Conversion with some Screwed in Jewels and the Top Plate is the Original but altered and then re-gilded. It has 3 upright Bars to protect Balance Pivots. It also has good Balance Pivots; my assumption was right that the seller put in "Broken Balance" on almost all his Sales to avoid trouble from the purchasers. It has a good Fusee Chain with both Hooks. When I get it back together it will be a very nice movement. The Hinge has been ripped off. Regards Ray Click image for larger version. 

Views:	2 
Size:	512.0 KB 
ID:	347821Click image for larger version. 

Views:	3 
Size:	373.4 KB 
ID:	347822Click image for larger version. 

Views:	2 
Size:	306.6 KB 
ID:	347823Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	501.2 KB 
ID:	347824Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	469.0 KB 
ID:	347825