Goal: $300, Received: $275.00 (92%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Registered user.

Default Hermle movement with wrong pendulum?

i just bought a Ridgeway school house clock that has a hermle 340-020 45cm which I believe has the wrong length pendulum. The clock with its rating nut all the way lowered runs about 4 minutes fast in 3 hours. I'm not sure where you measure from when figuring out the length of the pendulum on hermle movements.

Default Re: Hermle movement with wrong pendulum? (By: Jasons34)

Is there room in the case for a longer pendulum? Timesavers has a large collection of Hermle pendulae. You'll just need another pendulum rod.

M Kinsler
    512 East Mulberry Street; Lancaster, Ohio USA 740-503-1973; kinsler33@gmail.com
    http://www.lancastereaglegazette.com/search/kinsler/

Registered user.

Default Re: Hermle movement with wrong pendulum? (By: kinsler33)

See that's where I am stumped. The case has a label on the label (official Ridgeway label) that shows how to adjust and set up so obviously this case goes with the hermle movement. The dial has Ridgeway on it. Even the inside on the case is cut out to accept the front of the movement and chime assembly. There are no extra holes anywhere which would be evidence of a swap with a whole different movement. Only thing I can think of is someone replaced the original 340-020 with another 340-020 which used a longer pendulum but they used the pendulum from the first original movement. I had thought that wear was causing the issue but I get a very nice swing and ontop of that the chime and strike are very smooth (which are usually the first trains to show wear). The backside of the pendulum has a hole in (not sure what that is for but my other one has this same hole so it's legit) so I took 2 washers and used the hole to thread a short bolt holding the washers in place just to see what happens. I have the rating nut at the same spot as prior (1/8 inch of threads showing) and now the clock is running a bit slow. So would this be an incorrect pendulum ? Where do they measure from when they figure their 45cm length?

That would be a 341 movement, if it has a pendulum. Often these pendulums get dropped and this results in the threaded part breaking off just above the nut. I don't know what type of pendulum you have but the rating screw can always be replaced, or lengthened. IF the case is long enough ... as K33 already mentioned.
    Willie X

Hermle measures from the suspension post to the rating nut approximately. The real rating is for a theoretical pendulum

Registered user.

Default Re: Hermle movement with wrong pendulum? (By: MARK A. BUTTERWORTH)

Willie you are correct about it being a 341. My eye site is bad. Anyways so from the post to the end of the rating nut should be 17-3/4 inches which is what I have. I also compared the swing of this one to the other 2 I have and they are the same. Over night I lost a half minute so I lowered the rating nut so it's only caught by a few threads. I still have those washers on the backside which has helped a lot. I'm now leaning towards what Willie said about the threaded part being broken off. Is there a set length to these pendulums on what the threaded length should be?

You can look at the tip of the threaded part. From the factory the tip is pointed or rounded up. When broken off it will have sharp ragged edge. Also, there are usually rub marks, or scrapes, where the rod or stick enters the top of the pendulum. These marks will often tell you where the pendulum went. There may also be ghost marks on the inside of the case where the pendulum or rating nut has scraped the case from time to time over the years.
    I rarely do any pendulum measuring. Numbers and measurements are often misleading.
    Willie X

Registered user.

Default Re: Hermle movement with wrong pendulum? (By: Willie X)

The pendulum threaded part and rod itself are all one piece so I'd have to buy a whole new pendulum. Merritt's has them for $15. I looked at the end of the threaded part and it's not broken. What I did now is removed the rating but and flipped it sothe flat part is at the bottom and the tapered is against the bob. That way I can slide the bob over the tapered part as far as it can go to get it even lower.i have the nut caught by a few threads and now it's running a hair slow.

Also, you can easily change the suspension spring for an extra mm ot two. Need more, there are about 6 different length pendulum leaders available for yout clock.
    Willie X

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

Default Re: Hermle movement with wrong pendulum? (By: Willie X)

You could add some weight to the bottom of the pendulum bob (on the inside)to compensate. You are not far off now.
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Registered user.

Default Re: Hermle movement with wrong pendulum? (By: harold bain)

Well as I have it now the clock is slow so thats a good thing. Just need to adjust the rating nut upwards. This clock was going to replace a Chinese "regulator" clock that has a very noisy fly assembly but my wife hates how I have to adjust this thing. There is no door for the pendulum so I have to pull the clock from the wall to make any adjustments plus tilt the clock to get it started and then quickly level it. So I'm going to make sure it runs for a few weeks and then toss it in the basement with the rest of my "retired" clocks