Goal: $300, Received: $55.00 (18%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Atkins Octagon School House clock

Hi, I won this clock and I am hoping there is some identifying information available. It has everything original except the key, rosewood case, painted dial and what appears to be an old if not original signature that I cant clarify.
    Any help will be appreciated.......
    Regards,
    Bruce
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	52842398_1_x.jpg 
Views:	3725 
Size:	94.9 KB 
ID:	344237  
    Es mejor morir de pie, que vivir de rodillas.....Emiliano Zapata Salazar

Default Re: Atkins Octagon School House clock (By: Bruce Barnes)

Hello,

Movement photograph would be helpful for better identification.

Andy Dervan

Default Re: Atkins Octagon School House clock (By: Andy Dervan)

Hi Andy will do when it gets here also really like the heart shaped hands I haven't seen them too often,
    Bruce

Hello Bruce,

Phil Gregory co-authored a great book on Atkins that is worthwhile acquisition for a Atkins collector.

Andy Dervan

I perused the NAWCC research and I would guess that this clock model is the octagon drop model 260 t & s ca. 1865-1875 +- still curious about the uncommon heart shaped hands as the seller said they are original.
    Regards,
    Bruce

Hello Bruce,

Gregory & King book illustrates this case style 260 ca 1865 on page 72. However, the hands on clocks are different - none of period Atkins period clocks had heart shaped hands (typically were moon or spade), or so I question their originality in your clock. They look nice, but it is better having clock characteristics verified by catalogs or well documented examples.

Andy Dervan

Thanks Andy, I don't have the app that would allow me to clarify the signature on the dial ( looks like Atkins clock co Bristol,CT ) so I have asked the seller if he could read it for me. I agree on the hands, I just wondered if originally they might have been an option versus the other styles used.
    Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Barnes View Post
    as the seller said they are original.

and the seller knows this how? 8-)

i perused a whole bunch of atkins clocks via google image search and couldn't find another one with those hands... nice as they are.
    i collect antique clocks because i get all that extra time...

Default Re: Atkins Octagon School House clock (By: bruce linde)

I did the same search and arrived at the same conclusion........maybe because of age and condition and also period. 50 miles out of town and you become an expert !! :-))

Thanks for looking,
    Bruce

Hi Bruce,

When you receive the clock, I would send photographs to Phil Gregory and ask him about it. He might have received more comments and photographs since their book was published.

Andy Dervan

Thanks for looking

are you kidding? total fun! 8-)

great clock.
    i collect antique clocks because i get all that extra time...

Hi, Bruce and All,

I looked through a re-pro Atkins Clock Company 1873 catalog, and found your clock to be what they called "Drop Octagon Spring", describing it as a 25" height and a 12" dial, Eight Day Time and Eight Day Strike. The hands illustrated are the typical moon style. In time only, it retailed for $6.25 in 1873 (worth about $125 in today's money), and the striking model sold for $7.25 ($145.00 today) that same year.

I could not find a matching pair of hands to yours in the catalog, but they sure are beautiful!

Interestingly, Waterbury offered a nearly identical clock to yours in the same year, an example of which I have in my collection (picture below). It too sold for $6.25.

Warmest regards always,

George
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Drop Octagon.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	296.7 KB 
ID:	344432  
    Time is a great story teller... Irish Proverb

Default Re: Atkins Octagon School House clock (By: George Nelson)

Hi Bruce,

Really enjoyed seeing your clock. Since it is old as the hills, you could check to see if the hands show "age", and if so, you could consider them original, or replacements made during the clock's working life and keep 'em. They really are unique and sharp looking. And if you are like most of us, you already have a room full of clocks with spade or Maltese hands.

As an addition to what other folks have offered, I posted a few pictures of this clock in the thread "Share Your Advertising Clock" (posts 157 and 162), where this clock advertised "CREAM MUSTARD". Owen.Or also shared a photo of one in the initial posting. This seems to have been a very popular case style used by more than a few companies. In the advertising clocks, Ansonia Brass and New Haven movements have been seen. I also included a few pictures of three different hand styles seen on the advertising version, none of which were spade or Maltese. These were very early advertising clocks.

Thanks for sharing!

Bob

Default Re: Atkins Octagon School House clock (By: RAK)

Thanks Bob,
    The hands were one of the appealing factors along with the fact that it is an Atkins..............I noticed other Atkins clocks and it seems as though he didn't sign many of his dials, this one as close as I can decipher the blur says Atkins Clock Co., Bristol CT. I looked up the name and there is a conflict with this clock and the dates of the company, 1855-58.

Your thoughts on the spade and Maltese hands is correct.
    Thanks for your comments,
    Bruce

Thanks Bob,
    The hands were one of the appealing factors along with the fact that it is an Atkins..............I noticed other Atkins clocks and it seems as though he didn't sign many of his dials, this one as close as I can decipher the blur says Atkins Clock Co., Bristol CT. I looked up the name and there is a conflict with this clock and the dates of the company, 1855-58.

Your thoughts on the spade and Maltese hands is correct.
    Thanks for your comments,
    Bruce
    Is the lettering on the dial, Atkins Clock Co. or Atkins Clock Manufacturing Co.? The latter was in business from 1855 to 1857/58. The Atkins Clock Co. was in business from 1859 to 1879.
    “If one tells the truth, one is sure, sooner or later, to be found out.” - Oscar Wilde