Goal: $300, Received: $20.00 (7%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Atkins Octagon School House clock (By: Bruce Barnes)

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Barnes View Post
    Hi Steven, thanks for your reply, I have a friend with a camera showing up later today.
    The verge is on the right for sure plates a wee bit different but as I said previously no means of " id'ing " the movement as to maker.
    Did the 260 have brass grommets on the dial or not?
    Thanks,
    Bruce
    The picture is not clear enough to determine whether there were grommets or not. They often go missing, in any event, but they could well have been there.

Your movement is shown in Gregory and King's book on page 75, fig. 265c. It came from a drop octagon (not like yours, but a more common variety) pictured in fig. 267 and said to date ca. 1875.
    “If one tells the truth, one is sure, sooner or later, to be found out.” - Oscar Wilde

Default Re: Atkins Octagon School House clock

Thanks for your help Steven, does the book show the 260 dial with grommets or any of the other drop octagons and would it be incorrect to add them as the dial arbor holes are dirty and chipped?
    Would this movement be deemed incorrect for this clock/case?
    Bruce
    Last edited by Bruce Barnes; 07-15-2017 at 10:47 AM.
    Es mejor morir de pie, que vivir de rodillas.....Emiliano Zapata Salazar

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Barnes View Post
    Thanks for your help Steven, does the book show the 260 dial with grommets or any of the other drop octagons and would it be incorrect to add them as the dial arbor holes are dirty and chipped?
    When I mentioned that the picture was not clear enough, I was actually referring to Gregory & King's picture in fig. 260. I am unable to tell with certainty from any of the pictures in their book whether or not the clocks shown had grommets. However, look at George Nelson's clock in post #12. That one definitely has a grommet. It probably would not be incorrect to add grommets if you wish.

Would this movement be deemed incorrect for this clock/case?
    Bruce
    If the mounting holes in the backboard align with the mounting feet, I would see no reason to doubt the movement' originality. Bear in mind that the feet are adjustable; so additional holes might simply be an indication that the original positions of the feet were moved because the original screw holes had become too large. Also, if the winding arbors align with the winding holes, that would be another point in favor of originality.
    “If one tells the truth, one is sure, sooner or later, to be found out.” - Oscar Wilde

Default Re: Atkins Octagon School House clock (By: Steven Thornberry)

Excellent......the feet line up as do the arbors and NO extra holes in the backboard...original dial but the brass grommets would cover some little " owiees " and dress it up a little.
    Regards,
    Bruce

Stephen Thornberry wrote: "However, look at George Nelson's clock in post #12. That one definitely has a grommet. It probably would not be incorrect to add grommets if you wish."

Stephen is certainly correct- my clock does have an original grommet installed in the winding hole, as do most of the dials on similar clocks I've seen. If you decide to use them, be sure to age them properly! Bright brass will look very inappropriate!

Best to all,

George
    Time is a great story teller... Irish Proverb

Default Re: Atkins Octagon School House clock (By: George Nelson)

I have continued to scrutinize these works, and as stated previously there has never been a bushing or staking of the pivots, but as I review the lantern pinions the trundles show more than minimal wear and I ponder as to whether the effort would be worthwhile........... I have repositioned the strike side parts back in place as they were loose and scattered in the case, I factory straightened the lift wires etc. but I am having a problem lining up the cam and there seems to be an impediment that is stopping the strike.
    Back to the first part, is there a suitable replacement for the existing works? and if so what would be the recommendation?

Great clock but some questions as usual.

Regards,
    Bruce

Bruce, I'm not questioning your skills, but why not have another clock repairman give the movement the once-over. I would not replace the movement, esp. with a "suitable replacement," if the current one is original.

Default Re: Atkins Octagon School House clock (By: Steven Thornberry)

Thanks Steven, I would keep the original movement and work on it at my leisure.............you can see the wear pattern on some of the trunions. The time side runs very well and keeps good time, I just thought after 120 + years and never having had any major service these challenges were going to arrive sooner or later. I can do this but it has been a few years since I really got into the "guts" of a mechanism.
    I am in complete concurrence with your comments and advice.
    Thanks again,
    Bruce

Here is an Adkins with grommets I recently picked up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2539 (Large).jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	206.0 KB 
ID:	350544  

Default Re: Atkins Octagon School House clock (By: Jim DuBois)

Great Clock Jim !!, when did you pick it up and does it run? Your dial is obviously original The dirt is like the same that took approximately 6+ hours to remove that was on mine.
    Regards,
    Bruce

Looking again Jim is that bezel wood and either rosewood or mahogany?......................

Too bad I can't spell worth a hoot..ADKINS? Really now? Atkins! ....oh well, yes I bought it in Arlington before the National started from a long time friend and collector surpreme from underneath a table in the Ives display Tue AM. And yes, it is rosewood case and trim.....and yes it runs fine but is running a bit slow at the moment.....30 day wagon spring time only....The friend replaced it in his collection with this one, also 30 day WS but with Ives on the dial, which is unusual to say the least...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017-06-29 14.26.10.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	182.8 KB 
ID:	350553