Goal: $300, Received: $125.00 (42%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Default Waltham Vanguard Mainspring

I have a recently acquired a 1901 Waltham 23j Vanguard 18S 1892 model pocket watch which is very stiff to wind and occasionally stops shortly after being fully wound. It has recently been cleaned and oiled and now keeps excellent time within a few seconds per day. It almost certainly doesn't have the original mainspring having been serviced/repaired several times in the past. I am beginning to wonder if it has been fitted with the wrong mainspring possibly one that is too strong for the watch. I know that the correct spring for the watch is No. 2222 which is available in various strengths/thicknesses. Can someone please tell me the correct strength/thickness mainspring for this 23 jewel version of the Vanguard and any advice on whether or not the wrong strength spring could be the cause of the above problems. Has anyone who owns this watch or has experience of one tell me if a stiff wind is normal or not. Thanks.

Roger

Default Re: Waltham Vanguard Mainspring (By: beepilot)

Before you replace any parts, try lubricating the crown wheel. Sometimes doing this will make the watch much easier to wind.
    Ed Ueberall
    Antique and Vintage Watch Restoration www.antiquewatchmaker.com

Blog Entries

Default Re: Waltham Vanguard Mainspring (By: rrwatch)

Next question, who serviced it, how far down did they take the watch, did they lubricate all parts.

Default Re: Waltham Vanguard Mainspring (By: richiec)

Right, as Richiec implies did they go under the dial and under the barrel and in other places...
    How does it feel when you set the watch? Does it feel smooth as you run the hands all the way around the dial?
    Under the dial the wheels can greatly effect the running and time keeping of a watch.

Default Re: Waltham Vanguard Mainspring (By: PWfanatik)

Thanks for the replies. The watch has been fully and properly serviced and lubricated by a professional who has worked on other Waltham Vanguards so this is not an issue about a servicing. My understanding is that Vanguards are fitted with a range of different mainspring strengths (probably 0.15 - 0.20) according to the jewel count, the higher jewel counts needing the lower strength springs. Hence I'm thinking it possible that at some point in the past a too strong a mainspring has been fitted thus causing potential problems e.g. stiff winding. Therefore I'm asking anyone with actual experience of a Waltham 23j Vanguard what is the correct strength spring for this watch and do other owners experince problems similar to the ones I have mentioned.

Registered user.

Default Re: Waltham Vanguard Mainspring (By: beepilot)

From my experience the strength of the spring has minimal effect on the winding smoothness. Is yours a 2222? I would check the width/length for possible binding and also check for worn barrel arbor/bushes especially if it has a tendency to stop occasionally after a full wind.

2222 mainspring: 3.25-3.30 mm wide, .15-.20 mm thick, 25 inches long (Waltham material book)

Registered user.
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Waltham Vanguard Mainspring (By: Mark UK)

I'd say that the fact that the Watch stops after being fully wound is a bigger issue than the Watch being hard to wind. The Winding issues could have to do with anything from the Crown down to the mainspring. The Watch stopping however puts you in an entirely different part of the movement. If could be overbanking, hands could be binding or there could be any number of gears bindning in the going train. The two could be linked, of course, but I would recommend taking it back to the repair person to sort it out. You have at least one serious issue in the Watch.

Best regards
    Karl

Blog Entries

Default Re: Waltham Vanguard Mainspring (By: karlmansson)

karlmansson, I don't think beepilot said that the is watch stopping, he states it keeps very good time.