Goal: $300, Received: $225.00 (75%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Default Stupid Question about mainsprings

Okay, this may seem nit picky , but I have a question about the rings that mainsprings are stored in. Specifically, the white alloy springs. They all are silver colour on one side, but on the other side they can be silver, yellow, red, blue...any reason for this? Does it go to strength? I ask because i have a few Elgin 817s in white alloy, but I am not sure which strengths they are. I imagine the only way of checking the thickness is to remove them from the rings, then I am stuck with a bunch of uncoiled mainsprings! If I could define their strength based on the colour of the ring, it would be easier.

Registered user.

Default Re: Stupid Question about mainsprings (By: wilsonpaule)

I have learned that the colored side should be towards you when you install the mainspring......
    It will be interesting to hear if there is a strength thing to consider as well.

Default Re: Stupid Question about mainsprings (By: Skutt50)

Quote Originally Posted by Skutt50 View Post
    I have learned that the colored side should be towards you when you install the mainspring......
    It will be interesting to hear if there is a strength thing to consider as well.
    In my experience the colour has nothing to do with the strength of the mainspring - it's more related to the brand of spring (Nivarox tends to be light blue, Generale Ressorts is dark blue, Schwab-Feller is red, etc.). Also, the side that the colour is on is not really related to the direction the mainspring goes in the barrel on the watches I work on - I have bought mainspring for a specific movement that the coloured side is random - buying the same springs from the same supplier for the same movement, sometimes it's up and sometimes down. I've also seen springs with colour on both sides of the ring.

Cheers, Al