Goal: $300, Received: $90.00 (30%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Default Elgin 6S movement with conversion dial

I would like to attach photos with my question but can't do it. Only numbers come up when I say upload. I have used the camera icon and the arrow and nothing works.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0031.JPG 
Views:	20 
Size:	309.6 KB 
ID:	344122   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0032.JPG 
Views:	33 
Size:	309.9 KB 
ID:	344123  
    Last edited by Dave Coatsworth; 05-20-2017 at 03:17 PM. Reason: Descriptive title

Default Re: I can't attach a photo. Only comes up numbers. Any help would be appreciated. (By: mafajous)

I can see photos, are they the ones?
    Nick, lots to learn, late starter.

Default Re: I can't attach a photo. Only comes up numbers. Any help would be appreciated. (By: mafajous)

Mafa,

It looks like 2 of your photos came through. I know how you feel on the technology. (I tried to see how to reply to someone and then realized that I had not logged in.)

Good Luck!

Bob.

Default Re: I can't attach a photo. Only comes up numbers. Any help would be appreciated. (By: novicetimekeeper)

Yes they are but I could not see them. My question was going to be the age of this Elgin Watch. The serial Number is 3686469. From what I have researched it would make this watch produced in 1890. I just cannot believe that. It looks too modern for that. Should I believe the data base?

Indeed the movement is that old. Dial and case are not. Most likely this started out life in a hunting case. At some point, it was converted to open face by changing the dial to a 'conversion' dial and putting it in an open face case.

Believe the data base.
    Ron DeGenaro

Exclamation Re: I can't attach a photo. Only comes up numbers. Any help would be appreciated. (By: mafajous)

Quote Originally Posted by mafajous View Post
    ... Should I believe the data base?
    That depends upon which data base, all have errors, some more than others. Wayne Schlitt's Web Site Devoted to Elgin Watches has a very believable data base.
    Kent
    That guy down in Georgia

Default Re: I can't attach a photo. Only comes up numbers. Any help would be appreciated. (By: Kent)

Quote Originally Posted by Kent View Post
    Wayne Schlitt's Web Site Devoted to Elgin Watches has a very believable data base.
    This is the first place I go.

Rob

Blog Entries

Default Re: I can't attach a photo. Only comes up numbers. Any help would be appreciated. (By: musicguy)

This is a conversion, it is a 7 jewel, hunter case movement. jewelers started putting the ladies movements into 8 and 12 size cases to sell them as mens watches as the smaller sizes didn't sell anymore due to wrist watches becoming popular with women. Very few seem to be collectible.

Default Re: I can't attach a photo. Only comes up numbers. Any help would be appreciated. (By: richiec)

They also sold them as OF without a second hand. I have one with an elgin 6S HC movement with a 10S enamel dial without a seconds register and seconds hand. Mine is in a nice YGF star 20 year case. The movement SN is in the high 18 Million range (1916).

this watch belonged to a relative and was given to me in 1955. Relatives of my elderly uncle (watch's owner) said that he bought the watch just like that in a jewelry store. My guess is that this was either factory cased or jeweler ordered cases to sell the movements.

Tom

Blog Entries

Default Re: I can't attach a photo. Only comes up numbers. Any help would be appreciated. (By: Tom Huber)

I have bought a few watches in jewelry stores, but never a new one. It is kind of fun to look at watches in a store with outrageous prices and find a scarce movement in a gold case and be charged twice the value based on the gold content but only half the value with the movement taken into consideration.
    Tom McIntyre Click me.
    If you don't learn to laugh at trouble,
    you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old.
    Will Rogers

Default Re: I can't attach a photo. Only comes up numbers. Any help would be appreciated. (By: Dave Coatsworth)

Thank you for the information. It is very interesting to know the history of the watch.