Goal: $300, Received: $90.00 (30%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Thread: About links...

Default About links...

And I don't mean sausages.

In my postings, I try to include informative links/references, generally to Bulletin articles or other hopefully scholarly resources. I will admit, sometimes to a completed auction listing though I do not mean to imply endorsement of that site or auctioneer.

I have actually come into some criticism, albeit rare, for linking to Bulletin articles with the objection being that it won't be available to non-members. Well, then join, learn something while supporting its mission.

What I am somewhat concerned about is the common use of links to the commercial "what's it worth" websites. To view, these require a subscription (I refuse to pay so the information is not available to me). They basically rehash auction catalog listings with all their faults and omissions. There is nothing IMCO that fosters understanding or even why something may have sold for what it did. Finally, I wonder what message is being sent and even potential endorsement we're providing for these sites?

Maybe something to consider?

RM

Blog Entries

Default Re: About links...

I have never visited a commercial "What is it worth" web site nor have I seen any links here. I do sometimes see links to sites that may have commercial content in addition to various model lists and such. I share your feeling that such sites do not do much to advance the hobby. However, I feel even more strongly that banning references in general is bad.

The new message board software we are working on will have the ability to ban links to any but "approved" sites if we want to use it.

We do sell ad space both directly and through Google's AdSense/AdWords product. And, of course, most of us do buy horological items and some even sell them, so we must have mixed feelings about commerce.
    Tom McIntyre Click me.
    If you don't learn to laugh at trouble,
    you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old.
    Will Rogers

Default Re: About links... (By: Tom McIntyre)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom McIntyre View Post
    I have never visited a commercial "What is it worth" web site nor have I seen any links here. I do sometimes see links to sites that may have commercial content in addition to various model lists and such. I share your feeling that such sites do not do much to advance the hobby. However, I feel even more strongly that banning references in general is bad.

The new message board software we are working on will have the ability to ban links to any but "approved" sites if we want to use it.

We do sell ad space both directly and through Google's AdSense/AdWords product. And, of course, most of us do buy horological items and some even sell them, so we must have mixed feelings about commerce.
    Interesting.

Well, here's something from a very recent thread posted by a moderator (bet this won't last): "Just for the hell of it, a link to some Owen & Clark iron-front clocks."

I have in fact seen them many times before on the MB.

I certainly have not suggested banning anything.

I'm suggesting maybe we all think about what we link to and how when we can can promote the use of more authoritative better quality sites, eg, the Bulletin (which will then demonstrate its worth and the value of being a member), some excellent publications and so on.

RM

Well, I posted that link only as a convenient link to other similar clocks by Owen and Clark. If you are able to find something better, by all means post it. I was unable to.
    Last edited by Steven Thornberry; 05-23-2017 at 07:50 AM.
    “If one tells the truth, one is sure, sooner or later, to be found out.” - Oscar Wilde

Blog Entries

Default Re: About links... (By: Steven Thornberry)

I can see how the question might arise, but in this instance there is no subscription to see the enlarged images of the clocks. Since it is a commercial site posting the image here would clearly be a copyright violation without formal permission.
    Tom McIntyre Click me.
    Will Rogers

I can see how the question might arise, but in this instance there is no subscription to see the enlarged images of the clocks. Since it is a commercial site posting the image here would clearly be a copyright violation without formal permission.
    That is, in part the point. The need to subscribe to view, etc.

RM

Blog Entries

Default Re: About links... (By: rmarkowitz1_cee4a1)

When I looked at the site one only needed to subscribe to see the values realized and sales information. The images, which were target of the link reference were fully visible at maximum enlargement. I would call this "incidentally commercial" in that there is no need to engage to obtain the information needed for the discussion here on the Message Board. It is possible that this distinction is too subtle for some of our members since one also has to register to bid on eBay items. To me it seems different and less likely to cause problems.
    Tom McIntyre Click me.
    Will Rogers

When I looked at the site one only needed to subscribe to see the values realized and sales information. The images, which were target of the link reference were fully visible at maximum enlargement. I would call this "incidentally commercial" in that there is no need to engage to obtain the information needed for the discussion here on the Message Board. It is possible that this distinction is too subtle for some of our members since one also has to register to bid on eBay items. To me it seems different and less likely to cause problems.
    Regardless, I still wonder about directing people to such a site rather than the other's I've alluded to in my first post.

RM

Blog Entries

Default Re: About links... (By: rmarkowitz1_cee4a1)

I think that suggesting to people wanting more information that they should consider joining is right on.

When I do this, if it seems to me they are concerned about the cost, I point out that the Introductory Membership at $30 for 4 months is pretty inexpensive.
    Tom McIntyre Click me.
    Will Rogers

I owe Dr. Markowitz an apology for the tone and abruptness of my reply. I used the links to antiqueclockspriceguide.com because I was unable to find anything on this message board. At least, I became annoyed at the fruitless search while trying to find what I wanted here on the message board. I further felt that a link to anything in the Bulletin would have been futile since the OP is (not yet) a member of the NAWCC. Sometimes, it is a matter of using the information at hand that is most convenient to convey the message. In the instance, one of the featured iron-front clocks showed a label that was quite similar to the remnants posted by the OP. The text available only by subscription was neither here nor there, I felt.
    Last edited by Steven Thornberry; 05-23-2017 at 07:51 AM.
    “If one tells the truth, one is sure, sooner or later, to be found out.” - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Thornberry View Post
    I owe Dr. Markowitz an apology for the tone and abruptness of my reply. I used the links to antiqueclockspriceguide.com because I was unable to find anything on this message board. At least, I became annoyed at the fruitless search while trying to find what I wanted here on the message board. I further felt that a link to anything in the Bulletin would have been futile since the OP is (not yet) a member of the NAWCC. Sometimes, it is a matter of using the information at hand that is most convenient to convey the message. In the instance, one of the featured iron-front clocks showed a label that was quite similar to the remnants posted by the OP. The text available only by subscription was neither here nor there, I felt.
    Personally use the ixquick, startpage HTTPS
    Last edited by Steven Thornberry; 05-23-2017 at 07:51 AM.